Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O2 - Best mobile with both MP3 and Radio?

• 20-12-2007 8:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

I want to upgrade to a phone that has both a radio and an MP3 player.

I am with O2 on a pay monthly contract.

Am I right in thinking that the O2 selection of phones is not great?

What handset should I consider that has both of these features?

I have a Nokia at the moment and I have a plug-in handsfree car kit for it. I would like to be able to keep that, so I guess that I'm looking for a phone with the same connection.

Any ideas?

Many thanks.

D.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Which Nokia do you have at the moment? This will no doubt limit your options as you want to use the plug-in handsfree car kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

I have the Nokia 6610i

http://www.nokia.ie/A4201172

The connection for the hands free is two plastic pins with thirteen copper connectors between them.

Any ideas?

Thanks for replying.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

I hate to break it to you mate, but there's no handset in the current nokia range compatible with your carkit. They've all changed connectors now and nokia are pushing bluetooth units for their installed carkits.

If you want to stick with a small nokia then a 6300 might be the way to go but the battery isn't great on them. Its kind of like a trophy wife/husband. Shiney, pretty, impressive but there's not alot of intelligence! Sony Ericsson handset radios normally have RDS as a built in feature.

OK, so let's say I'm not tied to the car kit and am willing to change it if necessary.

What phone(s), that has both MP3 and FM radio, should I be considering?

Many thanks.

D.

Dinarius wrote: »
    OK, so let's say I'm not tied to the car kit and am willing to change it if necessary.

What phone(s), that has both MP3 and FM radio, should I be considering?

Many thanks.

D.

If you wanted sleek and were prepared to wait for the price to drop i'd politely suggest the sonyericsson t650i. Otherwise the K800i will do the job for you. Great camera, 3G, radio with RDS, decent mp3 (buy a 1 or 2 gig memory card), and upgrade the headphones - you can do this cheaply on ebay. Its a great phone for the price.

What level of upgrade are they offering you?

6610 is an old handset, methinks they should be giving you a good upgrade.

• Advertisement

Actually, they offered me the K800i for €129.

Interestingly, the guy in the O2 store also said that if I wanted decent MP3 I should look at Sony and not Nokia.

Thanks.

D.

OK guys,

I went to Carphone Warehouse and have narrowed the choice down to three phones. All are Sony Ericsson.

1. K850i
    2. W880i
    3. W910i

All have radio and MP3, but which one would you choose?

Also, I want to be able to use a plug-in hands-free in the car. i.e. plug into cigarette lighter, if poss.

Thanks.

D.

Don't rule out the k800, its still a bargin.

Myself, I personally dislike the tiny keys on the w880i and think your paying over the odds for what your getting. K850 is the daddy of all 5 megapixel phones in my opinion, just be sure to check your cool with the touch sensitive buttons before hand. The flash is pretty good so it could work as your standby camera.

W910 is a nice solid 3G slider, packs a 2 megapixel fixed focus camera, about a gig of memory and a good screen to boot.

The choice is yours, personally I'd go with the k850 but you'll be using the phone. If the branch is any good they'll allow you to play with the phones before hand.

I take your point.

Just did a side by side comparison on this (excellent) website.......

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone2=1485&idPhone1=2003

....and there really is nothing in it. Which makes the K800i @ €69 online the bargain you say it is.

Think I'll get one.

Many thanks.

D.

Edited: Bought one for €69 online. Just noticed a quarter page ad from Vodafone in the Irish Times saying that they have reduced the price of this phone to €149. Makes my deal even sweeter! ;-)

Thanks Neilled!

I ordered the phone at about 8:30 on Friday evening and it was delivered to my door yesterday at noon! 15 hours later. Incredible! ;-)

Now that's what I call service. ;-)

Neilled, it's a fabulous phone and a total steal for €69. (I saw it in the Sony shop yesterday for €399!) And, I'll get the VAT back on that too.

I am one happy bunny. Thank you very much!

Have a good one!

D.

• Advertisement
Advertisement