Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hilltop Shooting

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭dimebag249

I've been living in Poland for a while, visited a pistol range one day. Slapped down my cash, was given a Glock 17, S&W 686 and a couple boxes of ammo. Really good fun. I have a shotgun and a .22 in Ireland, and I really appreciated the novelty of pistol shooting; I was thinking I might take it up if I can save the cash.

Point is, if I hadn't tried pistol shooting abroad, I'd never know I liked it. I've visited a pistol range in Ireland, and when I asked if I could try I was told "mmm... maybe someday. Maybe," and I was there on the invitation of a senior member. I'm sure clubs have valid security concerns, but where the hell is shooting in Ireland headed if people can't even try it out? And so what if a guy wants to fire a .44 or a .50 AE, I'd jump at the opportunity to try one out, who wouldn't?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

dimebag249 wrote: »
    Point is, if I hadn't tried pistol shooting abroad, I'd never know I liked it. I've visited a pistol range in Ireland, and when I asked if I could try I was told "mmm... maybe someday. Maybe," and I was there on the invitation of a senior member. I'm sure clubs have valid security concerns, but where the hell is shooting in Ireland headed if people can't even try it out? And so what if a guy wants to fire a .44 or a .50 AE, I'd jump at the opportunity to try one out, who wouldn't?

The problem is (partly) that Ireland is not Poland (or Germany or Switzerland or Finland or the USA) and the general cultural attitude towards guns here is different.

I suspect that very few people in Poland give a toss that someone can walk in off the street and shoot. Here it's a very different story. I suspect that if the average Joe in the street even knew even that pistols were legal here there'd be a big fuss made on the Marian Duffy show or whatever Ireland's whiners listen to these days.

IMHO, Hilltop are right to be cautious to try and avoid having fingers pointed at them by uninformed mudslingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

All. Unlike the range in Poland described above you cannot just walk in and shoot, I think it's fair to say that this is universal in Ireland be it a commercial range or a private members range. In fact pistol shooting can indeed be booked, but like everything else it is subject to availability which in the case of pistol shooting means enough of appropriate(experienced in pistol) range safety officers. Pistol shooting requires more range officers then the likes of clays or target rifle as the handguns are far more wieldable and likely to be swung around and thus more difficult to control by such range officers. Greater scrutiny is placed on those wishing to shoot pistol in this regard (you will find pistol range safety officers (who are club members)VERYintolerant to giddiness or even the slightest lack of respect so certain parties may travel a long way and never get to fire a shot) also the last thing anyone wants is some scobe booking in to practice for their next hit etc..! The proprietor of a commercial range will reserve the decision on who they arm be it with a pistol, shotgun, rifle or bow just as an officer/member of a private club will.

Advertisement