Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

amd athlon processor xp 1500+

Options
  • 20-12-2007 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

i have an old amd athlon processor xp 1500+

it originally ran win 95/98

i have neither the original disks - i tried linux - cant simply play my ipod/mp3's

anyone know how to get the best out of this ?

i just want to be able to take the music of a usb - ipod's usb and play them

thank you , as cheap as possible - free preferably

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

conor2007 wrote: »
    anyone know how to get the best out of this ?

I wouldn't be spending any money on it, u do realise 98 was nearly 10 yrs ago. :eek: Not worth the hassle IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭conor2007

surely it can be used to play mp3?

all i want is teh ipod's usb function to work and then take the mp3's i have on it off

not rip them , just transfer as in just off the usb section not the songs added by itunes

thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

http://www.redchairsoftware.com/anapod/support/proassist.php?c=9899
    There should be a windows 98 driver there

Be warned that the ipod stores music in a funny way, so you'll have trouble figuring out where all of the files are saved within the ipod_control folder... (unless you use a program like the one on the link above)

right
    do you know where to get 98 in dublin
    any computer shop?

any idea how much , surely if im just using the usb , it should be just copying?

98 can play mp3 cant it?

thanks!

tman, he needs an os 1st.

How much ram has it got?

This is an option if ya got more 128mb ram

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Yeah, copped on to that after I posted but left my post intact in case he still wants to go down the 98 route...

Hold on, what size hd is in that pc, bet the ipod is bigger

sorry
    i have kubuntu on it now
    in fact i have a thread in the unix forum , trying to get th damn ipod recognised in that ****e os

i do want the 98 route - cant find my install cd tho - and yes i know a way round that but i dont want to do that (mods)

thanks - any free and easy way to use an ipod clasic usb and an os that plays mp3s - no hassle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

WIN XP will run fine on an amd 1500,8gig hardrive , 256meg ram,if you wanna install that,instead of win98.IF you have win98 ,not win98se, you,ll have to install win98 usb addon pack.I seen win98 run on pentium 3,s 1.oghz.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=330301

Would something like that not be easier/cheaper than setting up a PC just to play the iPod (I presume you have another PC already to perform the syncing etc.)

• Advertisement

sorry
    i have kubuntu on it now
    in fact i have a thread in the unix forum , trying to get th damn ipod recognised in that ****e os

You'll need to use Amarok or Banshee to sync the mp3's, You'll also need codecs to play the mp3's. The hardware your using is well below the minmum specs for an ipod of course your gonna have probs, ipods were never meant to be used on usb 1.
    Dont blame the os if ya cant operate it. PEBKAC error. My ipod works absolutely fine in ubuntu.

thanks
    i might just get xp

depedning on price

thanks
    i might just get xp

depedning on price

You'll have trouble tryin 2 get xp to run on that, how much ram has it? Will you get drivers for it? Is the hd big enough for Xp? Way too much hassle. Give up

less hassle than any version of linux
    it will have enuf ram

i will delete everything cept the simple stuff and itunes/music

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

If it was me I would put 2000 on it. XP will run ok 2000 would be quicker tho.

yes but with xp i get itunes

altho probally unvearable slow - expensive and slow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    You'll have trouble tryin 2 get xp to run on that, how much ram has it? Will you get drivers for it? Is the hd big enough for Xp? Way too much hassle. Give up

No he wont, I've ran XP on old AMD K6's and P3s 400mhz+ with only 128MB of RAM. While it was slow it still ran and could cope with all basic tasks no problem. Still have one or two of these systems setup. If you ran a 7200RPM hard drive in one of these kind of systems, it would improve performance greatly.

Hard drive speed is greatly overlooked when specing a computer these days, but it actually plays an important role in the computers performance as it did back in the windows 98/00' days.

As said already, linux is perfect for playing back MP3's you just need the correct codecs & software installed.

My vote would be to install Windows 2000 or XP they will both run fine on a 1.5Ghz Athlon.

Hj

thanks
    ive checked the specs - i have plenty enuf

cept intel chip - but thats just microsoft/whoever being greedy.biased

thanks !

U do realise itunes cant take songs off an ipod if theyre already on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

iTunes / iPods won't work with Win 98 will only work with 2000 up

• Advertisement

i know

but windows explorer can when i use ipod as a usb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

If you know what you are doing, it is easy enough to take the music off your iPod;) Although, when you load music onto your iPod the file name becomes renamed, but the MP3 Tags remain the same. Thats the only downside. Still perfectly playable though.

Hj

i know

but 80 gb , i have 25 for music - so i might as well put it to use and transfer the traks complete

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

i know

but 80 gb , i have 25 for music - so i might as well put it to use and transfer the traks complete
    Ephpod (http://www.ephpod.com/) supports windows 98SE, it allows you to add/copy etc tunes from your ipod, not sure if it will work well in your case, and you'll more than likely need to use a xp/vista system to get your ipod first time formatted, but you could try it after :)

Nick

thanks all

i think i have xp cd now

i dont need to control itunes/ipod - i have a macbook and a xp to do that (altho i only use the xp for ipod)

i just want itunes to store my music so i can delete it off my normal pc so it will be faster

cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Deleting songs will make your other pc faster? Or deleting iTunes? If you're not running iTunes, it won't be affecting the speed of your PC.

yes itunes and songs

i have 6000 mp3's sittin on my desktop - it will affect loading speed now in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

yes itunes and songs

i have 6000 mp3's sittin on my desktop - it will affect loading speed now in fairness
    Refrain from saving files on the desktop, especially if you have a roaming profile. This radically increases log-in time. Move them to My Music or similar.

6,000 files? What resolution are you using? :D

Advertisement