Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

help

Options
  • 20-12-2007 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭

i drive a faint punto its a 02. just wondering how do u know when the shocks and supenions are gone on a car. its just that mine seem to be quite jumpy while drive along. the roads i do drive on aren't the best. I ask because i was just driving behide my mother and she said that the car lights were shaking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

- If the car bounces excessively - Another sign is that the car leans far to the side when turning on corners. This could be the result of a leak or worn shock absorbers this would simply require the worn parts to be replaced.

- Push test - This is one of the most simple tests you can do you simply have to push down on each corner of the car and the car should go straight back up not too high and back down again. If it goes up a lot higher and then sinks down it may mean the absorbers need replacing due to being worn. This isn't as reliable as the other tests though as you aren't actually checking the parts to check for wear.

- Driving - When you are test driving go slowly or try driving over speed bumps and if you hear a clunking noise then it could be due to thin grease being used in sealing the strut caps instead of thick, high quality grease. In this case you would have to remove the suspension and remove the thin grease from the parts replacing the parts back in the car using thick sealing grease this being quite a time consuming process or you would incur the costs of a garage doing it for you. If this isn't the problem then it could be down to the fluid levels being low, all you need to do is check the levels and if they are down it wouldn't cause a problem they'd just need filling up. However, if they are greatly down there could be a leak some where in the system so just ask when it was last filled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Fiat punto's (that model) have very stiff suspension in them, any back-road journey's are a pain in the ass - literally.

If you can get it to a garage that will do pre-nct checks, they should put it on a suspension tester - this will give you any imbalance and the efficiency of the suspension and they can advise you of any work needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

i only got new shocks put on this last year.i may just the car in for a a full check over to the main dealers in the new year.

Advertisement