Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

banned from garda aptitude/ emergency services forum

Options
  • 20-12-2007 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭

Hi all I have just been banned from emergency services forum. I expressd my distaste at haggars post on what he said about another users post this is what he said... "FFS use all the keys. That half illiterate typing is just ignorant".

There are 370 pages of posts on the garda aptitude thread and this has never cropped up before. This I thought was as just an ignorant post so I voiced my concern, the following is what I posted..."hagar I am sorry but I simply cannot keep quite about this.There are many people who use half illiterate posts here and to single out one person and call her ignorant is not on.

A simple polite post asking people here to type full and concise sentences would of been more appropriate.
    Not a post where you swear and pass personal abuse at someone.
    This is my first and last opinion on the matter".

The link is http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055066441&page=370.

Basically I am putting forward that I think my banning was unjust and it should be lifted as I was unfairly treated.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

paul666 wrote:
    There are many people who use half illiterate posts here and to single out one person and call her ignorant is not on.

And now there's one less. W00t.

Edit: ah I see you were the one banned, not Celtic07.

Tbh, I thought Hagar's statement was bang on and not the slightest bit over the top. Lazy posting like that is just disrespectful and it's hard to be any more polite than Hagar was to someone like that. Also, you should have gone straight to Feedback if you had issue, rather than dragging the thread off-topic for a discussion on moderation. Hagar gave fair warning on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Let the mods do their jobs - problem with a post = report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I think the big question is; did your valiant and chivalrous defence of the poor illiterate girl help you to get some?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭paul666

I get indefinetly banned for expressing an opinion. I did not complain about the thread nor was I abusive, there are many off topic posts in that thread I had one.
    Can someone clarify where in the charter I have broken the rules

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Extract from the charter:
    # No text speak, there are more then 160 characters available here so there is no reason to use it.
    # Please try to watch spelling and grammar as well as using paragraphs. Simple things like this make it a lot easier to read posts.
    # If you have a complaint to make about the forum, please do not complain on threads, use a PM or take it to Feedback.

There may be instances in the thread were posters were not pulled up for any of the above. Most of the thread was posted in another forum and that forum's charter and moderation was applicable. Since the thread is now in the Emergency Services the current charter is applicable.

• Advertisement

I did not complain about the forum I complained about your post. Is that a bannable offence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Click report.gif when you have a problem with a post and it will be dealt with, don't argue with a moderator on the thread itself. It just causes unrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Ruu wrote: »
    Click report.gif when you have a problem with a post and it will be dealt with, don't argue with a moderator on the thread itself. It just causes unrest.
    Or report.gif

Ruu wrote: »
    In future I will do that. Thanks for your feedback.
    I still feel I have been unfairly treated.
    Been indefinetly banned from that thread is a blow for me as I rely on it for questions I ask and I have contributed to it since it began.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭MikeTheMan

"FFS use all the keys. That half illiterate typing is just ignorant".

Stark, you say that Hagar was being polite???
    Do you honestly classify the above quote from Hagar as being polite....??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Stone him!

I read every single post made in every forum I moderate. The effort involved in reading those half formed posts is a real pain. There is an irony in posters on an exam oriented thread being too lazy to type coherently.

Paul666 in the ban notice I invited you to PM me to discuss the matter.
    I am still at your disposal.

Hagar wrote: »
    I read every single post made in every forum I moderate. The effort involved in reading those half formed posts is a real pain. There is an irony in posters on an exam oriented thread being too lazy to type coherently.

Paul666 in the ban notice I invited you to PM me to discuss the matter.
    I am still at your disposal.
    You also invited me to use feedback if I had a problem with your judgement.

All my posts are perfectly articulate and I have received the ban. I was not been smart with you or was I been rude to you.

The poster you referred to who was using the "half illiterate typing" is probably our most invaluble contributer on the garda apptitude thread at the moment. I just thought it was rude of you to call her ignorant. Also is "FFS" not "half illiterate typing.

MikeTheMan wrote:
    Stark, you say that Hagar was being polite???
    Do you honestly classify the above quote from Hagar as being polite....??

Not so much polite in absolute terms, but more polite than what I often feel tempted to say to text speak kiddies.
    paul666 wrote:
    Also is "FFS" not "half illiterate typing.

"FFS" is an abbreviation. "dats enuf" is an abomination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭MikeTheMan

I'm not allowed to discuss my discontent on the main post, but I just want to say that this is absolute crazy behaviour.

Hagar, you have demonstarted a total lack of professionalism in handling this mater by stooping to such levels as using the "FFS" to a poster. Why could you not have reminded the poster of the charter. Simple As. By doing so, none of this would have happened in the first place and therefore would have prevented this isuse from escalating.

Banning Paul666 for voicing his opinion is way out line.

Thanks.

Professionalism implies that moderators get paid.

Hi all. After a discussion with hagar my ban has been lifted. I would like to thank all for their feedback and I would also like to thank hagar for lifting my ban.
    thanks. good night

Following a cordial exchange of PMs the ban has been lifted.

merrychristmas2sv0.gif

What no cats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Nice to see an outcome like this, fair play. ;)

Have to comment on this though...
    MikeTheMan wrote: »
    Banning Paul666 for voicing his opinion is way out line.

This was not the reason he was banned in the first place!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Hagar wrote: »
    What no cats?

Cats is so last year....

donkeyfd9.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

That photo is so 1998;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

That photo is so 1998;)

1998 is back big time,did nobody tell you....?;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

the "666" is the OP's username is offensive to my religious beliefs and unbanning him is like making tea and crumpets for satan as he slaps rude stickers on the back of your sofa while you watch The Life of Brian on pirate VHS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

666 is the first part of the phone number for all the garda stations.
    im sure it has some other signifcance for them as some other gardai who post have it in their names

subway wrote: »
    666 is the first part of the phone number for all the garda stations.
    They have Gardaí in Australia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

i think gardai might go on holidays to australia from time to time...
    not 100% though

Maybe it was those Cork "Toher" Gardai someone was posting about... ;)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Good modding. Thats twice in one day Hagar. Glad things worked out.

DeV.

I'm going to bed now before I fnck up. Night all. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement