Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any significance to a triskele?

Options
  • 20-12-2007 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭

I'm considering getting a triskelte done on my deltoid muscle, the following design
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/smackerchickxxx/me/tattoos/triskele.jpg
    In a circle though,

It first caught my eye in a book on the celts where a celt was illustrated with a similar though more stylized tattoo, however, I;m just looking into it now as I'm wondering if it has any 'significance', I like the simple celtic design on it.

I'm aware many racist groups have taken a lot of celtic and norse symbols so I'm trying to do a backround check as whether it will mark me as something.

This is just a backround check and the people on this forum seem to know their stuff so I'm hoping to get any feedback.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

No particular significance to it iirc. I know a couple of people who have it done and they think its just decoration

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

cheers, I'm just trying to make sure I'll not regret gettin the tattoo etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

My sister has it done and I don't think she found any significance to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i don't recall anything to do with racist groups etc, but there is a meaning to it... don't know if that's what you were asknig, but it is representative as well as decoration.

http://123celtic-irish-jewelry.com/celticart.asp
    The ancient structure has been found both in pre-Columbian America and in Bronze Age Europe. In Europe it is especially associated with the Celtic tribes.
    These symbols are called triskele or triskelion.
    The Triskele is used to symbolize the cycles of life with in the three fold, or three spheres of influnce in the material world.
    The three spheres (Land, Sea and Sky) represents the three aspects of the material world that are contained in every object. Each aspect ever flowing outward and always returning to the point from which it started.

Advertisement