Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos & Boots price difference UK vs Eire

Options
  • 20-12-2007 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

I know all the reasons that Argos & Boots will claim justify the difference in these offers but it still really bugs me to see the same shop charge different prices NI- UK /Eire

My sister wanted a particular gift set she saw for Christmas and sent me an email photo from Boots in the UK with a £40 price tag. Same item was over €90 euro here in Boots

DD wants the biggest littliest pet - £20 sterling (on sale); €50 euro (on sale) - Argos

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Add to the fact that with Argos UK at least, they'll deliver stuff for a very reasonable rate or free (depending on value of item(s)) but over here unless you live in greater Dublin you're paying silly mark ups for delivery.
    A couple of years back I bought beds and sundries from Argos UK and had them delivered to a friend in the North for free. I saved an initial price difference of almost 20% and then 25 quid or thereabouts on delivery charges.
    Forget VAT rates, cost of bulk shipping stock to here, higher cost of doing business; the real reason in my eyes that Argos, Boots and so many other UK companies do that over here is because we have such little competition in the market and they can basically just charge what they like...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I worked for one of the companies and I earned quite a bit more than my UK counterparts, transportation costs are higher here, VAT is higher and insurance is higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

even Dunnes do it - you'd see it on their price tags that something in the sterling pounds would be half the price of the euro price, even though the difference between the two currencies is only circa 40%.

It's what nightwish says, but also the fact that there is more money earned and spent by consumers here and also less competition. What profit-making institution wouldn't like to take advantage of it? Still, i tend to boycott places like Dixons and Dunnes that do it so obviously.

Simple economics of demand / supply ... but feckin annoying economics

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I noticed the price hikes in Boots in particular, double or even more the price in Liffey Valley compared to a High St in London. We are lucky in that we travel to the Uk on a regular basis so we stock up on all our requirements there.

TBH the whole pharmacy sector in this country is a cartel, if any other sector acted like that then they would be taken to court I imagine.

In the UK the large supermarkets sell own brand/generic pain killers , you can get 96 Ibobrufen for about 3 euro I think.

Advertisement