Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what will your funeral be?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Has that lad Mordeth posted here yet?

I generally start from the top and scroll down. Or Ctrl + F and then enter what you want to search for.

You hang around here a lot, don't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Good forum TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Good forum TBH.
    You really think so? I actually do think that I prefer forums where I can disagree with a lot of what people say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

I've been thinking about this seriously recently.
    I am going to put in writing with a solicitor that I do not want a religous funeral. Otherwise my parents will go de facto on me and stick me in a church. My fiance is pushing me to do it because she is not (currently) next of kin and doesn't want to have a big fall out with the in-laws if I did die.

I don't plan on dying to soon but...

Because I could not stop for death, he kindly stopped for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Made me think of the peep show where Jez's uncle's funeral is organised by his atheist sister.

"Uh, yeah, I spent some time with Ray before he went and I just wanted to say that I think we should all remember that Ray, by the end, he loved Jesus. Now, I know, Liz, there's no proof for Jesus, but then there's no proof for lots of things, like science or the stock market and we believe in them. Look, what I'm trying to say is that if I was dying and I decided that even though I'd never particularly been into, say, Enya before but that now I really, really was into Enya and that in fact, I thought Enya was great and that Enya died for our sins and I wanted an Enya themed funeral with pictures of Enya and lots and lots of mentions of Enya, then I think it would be a bit bloody rich for my sister to ban all mention of Enya from my funeral. Yeah? "

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Zamboni wrote: »
    My fiance is pushing me to do it because she is not (currently) next of kin and doesn't want to have a big fall out with the in-laws if I did die.
    I'd watch out for skateboards left at the top of the stairs if I were you!

Not sure whether a legal document can enforce the type of funeral your next of kin gives you. It may be that all you can do is express a 'wish'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I want my funeral to be in the style of Hunter S Thompson. Failing that, maybe I'd donate to medical science (I'd see how the family feel about that), and then maybe be cremated. I do sorta like the idea of being buried and having plants... planted... in the area. That way I continue to live, in plant form :) Who says reincarnation is bullsh*t...?

As for the funeral, I'd prefer some sort of humanist/non-religious ceremony, where friends share stories and try to celebrate my life rather than the sober, morbid affair that a church funeral usually ends up being. I'd prefer if it wasn't religious at all also. But if it gives my family consolation, they can go ahead. If it consoles them to have me devoured by a pack of hungry hungry hippos, then that's fine too (just make sure I'm dead first ¬_¬).

Dades wrote: »
    Not sure whether a legal document can enforce the type of funeral your next of kin gives you. It may be that all you can do is express a 'wish'?

Well, with a bit of luck I won't die before I'm married. Then the folks won't get my pretty corpse near a church.
    The idea of some priest drivelling on to the congregation about some afterlife whilst I am lying there dead as a dodo is not funny.
    However if the parents do get me into a church, I may get the missus to stick a recording of me laughing out loud intermittently which can be left in the coffin.:D

I'll keep an eye out for those damn skateboards though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

I was thinking this before about what i would want my funeral to be like. Is there any good ancient ceremonies that are cool and could be pulled off in this day and age without freaking out the family when saying it to them? And also without freaking out the people attending the funeral of course=)

Mummification!

• Advertisement

I don't mean to open a 'can of worms'-quote Paul Merson, but like why would you(general) object to a conventional funeral. Like even if I became convinced there was no God, I would just want to go with whatever makes my parents, sister happy.

The only thing I fear about death(even if death is just nothing) is how my family would feel.

I personally want to be an explorer who's resting place is on a cursed Island, after falling from a very high window ledge of an explorations period Spanish castle.-ode Uncharted.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭apoch632

I've decided I want a viking style funeral (At least the styel in films)

Pushed out to see in a boat and the boat is then set on fire

Failing that just a humanist style funeral where people share stories. I wonder if you can make the style of a funeral a condition of a will. i.e. You give me a cathoclic funeral the money goes to Homeless/ISPCA etc.

apoch632 wrote: »
    I've decided I want a viking style funeral (At least the styel in films)

Pushed out to see in a boat and the boat is then set on fire

Failing that just a humanist style funeral where people share stories. I wonder if you can make the style of a funeral a condition of a will. i.e. You give me a cathoclic funeral the money goes to Homeless/ISPCA etc.

And Atheists say that want to benefit the future of humanity...Jeez.

Meeh Just have always liked the aesthetic of the viking style funeral

and how would giving any money i may have to charity not be benefiting humanity.

I will likely be leaving a decent portion of what i may have anyway

Think of all the paper that could be made using the wood from that boat!!!!

I'll grow my own trees.

Most trees that are cut down for paper are factory farmed anyway

I don't mean to open a 'can of worms'-quote Paul Merson, but like why would you(general) object to a conventional funeral. Like even if I became convinced there was no God, I would just want to go with whatever makes my parents, sister happy.

I'm not a hypocrite in life.
    I don't intend to be one in death.

When exactly did "Atheists" say this? Was there a meeting I wasn't invited to?!
    I'm not a hypocrite in life.
    I don't intend to be one in death.
    I would have thought it more like compassion to allow your family to mourn your passing in whatever way comforts them. I'm talking if you die young and outlive your parents or some such, mind.

Surely to be hypocritical requires some element of benefiting or suiting yourself, in contradiction to your expressed views.

You didn't get the memo Dades? We're now trying to benefit humanity in all our endeavours. Maybe if you actually read the newsletter, you might be more au fait with the current plans :rolleyes: Gawwwd

I just think it would be hypocritical for me to have a christian ceremony when I've been atheist throughout life.

• Advertisement

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Maybe if you actually read the newsletter, you might be more au fait with the current plans :rolleyes: Gawwwd
    Oh, THAT letter.
    I thought that was to do with the Rape and Pillage planned for the Spring which I'm going to be away for...
    I just think it would be hypocritical for me to have a christian ceremony when I've been atheist throughout life.
    Only if you insisted on it, rather than just allowing it to happen for unselfish reasons IMO.
    Hard to be hypocritical when your dead!

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

I've asked my missus to make sure that they recycle what they can (organ donation) and to burn the rest (cremation). In terms of a ceremony I've asked for a non-religious one - just music, stories and lots of booze. Of course, seeing as I'll be dead and all, there will be little I can do about it if she decides not to honour my requests.

She is very taken with the idea of getting the ashes converted into a diamond if one of us goes before the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭MrB

Cremate me, mix the ashes with a pint of whisky and drop me from a boat in the middle of the Atlantic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 CrunchMagg

Its not something they really worry about i'd say! Once they're gone, that's the end of everything for them and they dont seem to be preoccupeid with what happens after life. I guess being a jew ...no jokes plz, i am sensitive.. we dont hav great emphasis on afterlife but there is a kind of transmigration of souls belief

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

CrunchMagg wrote: »
    Its not something they really worry about i'd say! Once they're gone, that's the end of everything for them and they dont seem to be preoccupeid with what happens after life. I guess being a jew ...no jokes plz, i am sensitive.. we dont hav great emphasis on afterlife but there is a kind of transmigration of souls belief

Relax, you'll find anti-semitism is rare amongst Atheists. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

The only thing "atheists" have said is that they don't believe in God.

You really have trouble keeping up. I personally have corrected you on this point at least three times, and I've seen others do it too.

I was obviously joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Given your track record there's nothing "obvious" about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

No service, just a 24 hour wake. As far as corpse arrangements go, I'd like to be cremated with my main guitar, ashes stored in a bottle of Jack Daniel's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Tough one really, if I fail to outlive my parents I'd be happy enough with the whole catholic thing - what difference does it make really? Once they're gone though I doubt there will be too many people left who'd be upset by a non-religious ceremony. I guess a bit of a wake would be nice, something of a party, with maybe a small service the next day at the burial - music, a few people speaking etc. Definitely like the idea of a headstone, just to leave a little mark somewhere. Don't overly care tbh - whatever people want themselves is fine by me. So long as it wouldn't overly upset anyone really close to me though, I'd definitely prefer to leave it non-religious. Just seems wrong to be so dishonest about it, especially as most people would presumably recognise it as something of a charade.

Advertisement