Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Cover Songs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Satisfaction by Devo
    Turnaround by Nirvana
    Smells Like Teen Spirit by Tori Amos
    Where Is My Mind? by Placebo

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JodiBenson

Placebo's version of The Smiths - Big Mouth Strikes Again on the Sleeping with Ghosts bonus covers album is brillo pad.

That whole album is actually.

Gypsy Kings - Hotel California
    Excellenté

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Angelene

So, I've a bit of a thing for covers

Ryan Adams' - Wonderwall (Oasis) (a superb cover, the live version moreso than the studio, which I find to be over produced and too shiny)

Bang Gang - Stop in the Name of Love (The Supremes) (Icelandic trip hop do Diana Ross, how could it fail?)

Bright Eyes - Mushaboom (Feist) (I was unconvinced, initially, but it's a grower...Oberst's vocals are a nice contrast to Leslie's original)

Cat Power - I Found a Reason (Velvet Underground) (really I could mention the entire Covers Record, but this particular song gets pride of place for appearing in V for Vendetta to superb effect...but really, well, anything that Cat covers tends to be worth a listen, especially Wild is the Wind (Nina Simone) and House of the Rising Sun (The Animals)

Hayden - Gouge Away (Pixies) (a young Canadian Tom Waits who has been mysteriously overlooked by most this side of the Atlantic)

Imogen Heap - Hallelujah (Cohen) (The OC brought some beautiful covers to my attention, and anything that frames the end of Mischa Barton can't be bad)

Madeleine Peyroux - Between the Bars (Elliott Smith) (such a dazzlingly heartbreaking song...must be treated with such care...she doesn't quite achieve Smith's sadness, but the jazzy tone is ever so pretty)

Muse - Feeling Good (Nina Simone) (this is what covering songs is all about, taking Real chances, and here Muse do so to great effect)

My Morning Jacket - White Rabbit (Jefferson Airplane) (dazzlingly dark and doomed, with deafening percussion...brave, and effective)

PJ Harvey - Monkey Gone to Heaven (Pixies) (actually, I'm never quite sure if it's brilliant or dire....but it's certainly an interesting cover, and so, worthy of mention)

Radiohead feat Sparklehorse - Wish you Were Here (Pink Floyd) (pretty pianoness)

Siouxie and the Banshees - Strange Fruit (Billie Holiday) (soulfully gothic, with sumptuous strings)

Susanna and the Magical Orchestra - Love Will Tear Us Apart (Joy Division) (another band who've released a plethora of cover songs, but this particular one absolutely excels, though I should also mention Nouvelle Vague's cover of the same)

Tori Amos - Losing My Religion (REM) (Ms Amos does something quite incomparable to songs)

Vincent Gallo feat. Pj Harvey and John Frusciante - Moon River (look what I have, and you don't)

Sparklehorse With The Flaming Lips - Go (Daniel Johnston) (I wonder could I convince the pair to release an album, for me?)

Liz Frazer from Cocteau Twins deserves her due credit for providing vocals for This Mortal Coil's Tim Buckley cover Song to the Siren...also Alpha did a beautiful version of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

my all time favourite cover is ozzy osbourne and dweezil zappa doing 'stayin alive'. the most cheesilicious thing ive ever heard.

the two muse songs mentioned above are excellent as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Disturbed - Shout
    Johny Cash - Hurt (Still love the original though)
    Metallica - Whiskey in the Jar

EDIT:
    Life of Agony - Don't you forget about me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Crumbs

The Bad Plus - Velouria (Pixies)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

My favourite covers are more a series of cd's called "Punk Chartbusters" Great versions - much faster than the original. There is also a "Ska Chartbusters" - Great - never tire of them and brilliant for driving! Just watch the speedo....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Bryan Ferry - Jealous Guy is far superior to John Lennon's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Plumpynut

There's some great covers out there here's some below worth checking out

Glen Hansard -Cry me a river(Justin timberlake)
    Jeff buckley - hallaluia (Leonard Cohen)
    No Diggity - Paddy casey (Black street)
    Dissident Aggressor - Slayer (Judas preist)

Anything by Beatallica or Rodeohead but there not really cover more tributes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭'Ol Jack Chance

all along the watchtower rocked by mr hendrix penned by mr dylan
    jersey girl sung by bruce written by tom waits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

I liked Sheryl Crows' version of Sweet Child of Mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Tyr's cover of The Wild Rover is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I liked Sheryl Crows' version of Sweet Child of Mine.

:eek: My ears! Horrible version. Completely loses all the angst Axl originally put into it.

Plumpynut wrote: »

Anything by Beatallica or Rodeohead but there not really cover more tributes

beatallica are fantastic, can't eblieve i forgot abotu them!
    jimmi hendrix with all along the watchtower as mentioned above, and im quite fond of mickey joe harte's cover of beyonce's 'crazy in love' is simply fantastic. almost unrecognisable initially, completely made it his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

http://www.thesixtyone.com/b1000/collection/collection_item/2892/

All four of those songs. THey're great chilled out ones to fall asleep to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Caveat

Bowie did a bug eyed, coked up version of Let's spend the night together which sounds a little insane (but in a good way)

Happy Monday's Step On? ( A lot of people don't realise it's a cover)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Xavi6 wrote: »
    :eek: My ears! Horrible version. Completely loses all the angst Axl originally put into it.

Lol, I don't think Axl likes Sheyrls' version either but it brings back good memories from the summer of '99 for me.

Also I think No Doubts version of Talk Talks' "Its My Life" is at least on par with the original.

hehe, anyone hear avril lavigne cover systemo f a down's 'chop suey'. gotta be the worst cover of all time ever :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭Goat Mouth

narco wrote: »
    hehe, anyone hear avril lavigne cover systemo f a down's 'chop suey'. gotta be the worst cover of all time ever :D

no her cover of Metallicas' Fuel...
    Pretty weak song to start off with, talk about being kicked while it was down!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Ian Brown's version of Billy Jean

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

The Pixies cover of Head On by the Jesus & Mary Chain.

Ryan Adams cover of Wonderwall is great and it's a lot closer to what Noel Gallagher imagined the song would be like than the Liam sung Oasis version.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Radiohead:
    Nobody Does it Better (Carly Simon)
    Headmaster Ritual (The Smiths)
    Wonderwall (Just for Thom Yorke taking the piss)
    Ceremony (Joy Division)

Muse's Feeling Good still holds some weight too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Elliott Smith - Thirteen (Big Star Cover, Absolutely fanastic)

Megan Peryoux - Between the Bars (absolutely fantasticly heartbreaking from Elliott Smith but not quite as Good)

Josh Ritter - The River (Springsteen cover, O My God brilliant)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Happy Mondays "Step On" (John Kongos)

Legendery!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

kate bush - running up that hill, covered by placebo
    george micheal - careless wisper, covered by the goship
    britney spears - baby one more time, covered by travis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Goldmember

I like Marie Digby's cover of "Umbrella",Originally by Rhianna

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭kev_s88

marilyn Manson's version of Workin Class Hero.its surprisingly good.

Tainted Love by Soft Cell and You Spin me Round be Dead or Alive, both covered by Marilyn Manson and both good covers

although if your really up for a laugh check out Richard Cheese and Lounge Against The Machine.they do lounges style covers of lots of rap, rock, metal and pop songs.their version of Chop Suey by SOAD is immense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Caveat

kev_s88 wrote: »
    marilyn Manson's version of Workin Class Hero.its surprisingly good.

Tainted Love by Soft Cell and You Spin me Round be Dead or Alive, both covered by Marilyn Manson and both good covers

Execpt that Tainted love wasn't by Soft Cell - it was a cover of a Gloria Brown (?) song - Marc Bolan's missus anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Caveat wrote: »
    Execpt that Tainted love wasn't by Soft Cell - it was a cover of a Gloria Brown (?) song - Marc Bolan's missus anyway.

Gloria Jones...who was the bird driving the mini in which he died back in the day! </pedantry> :D

Advertisement