Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do I have to pay U.K. speeding fine

Options
  • 20-12-2007 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭

Folks, first post here, so forgive me if I am asking about something that has been covered before (I tried a search, but to no avail).

I was driving a hire car in Scotland recently and was ‘flashed’ by a speeding camera. Nearly died of shock, out in the middle on no-where, not a light in sight them BOOM – two flashes.

I got a letter from the car hire company . They charged me an administration fee of 15.00 pounds plus vat. They then said that “We have transferred the liability of this Traffic Offence to you”. So the good news is that my credit card will not be hit for the fine, it’s between the U.K. authorities and me (that’s the way I want it, I don’t want my credit card exposed further).

I have two questions:
    • I believe there is no facility whereby the points can be added to my Irish license. Can anyone confirm this?
    • My main question is what will happen when I get a fine in the post (got nothing yet, though expecting Santy to deliver a special package soon). How much is the fine. Should I just ignore it (as I did with an Italian parking ticket a few years ago).
    Any words of solace would be greatly appreciated. Happy Christmas to you all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The points cant be added but I always thought that fines are automatically charged to you card by the hire company. ie they pay it and bill you through your card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

1. No the points will not be added to your Irish licence
    2. You should pay the UK fine. And the Italian one even if a few years late - dont worry about trying to pay any interest on it though, just pay the original value.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Sandwich wrote: »
    2. You should pay the UK fine. And the Italian one even if a few years late - dont worry about trying to pay any interest on it though, just pay the original value.
    Why the Italian one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Justice, conscience, responsible citizenship, to be good human being, be part of the law abiding population of the world rather than those ignore the law unless its is forced upon them, international courtesy, eternal salvation etc.

(am reluctant to do youtheman an injustice (apologies if so) but maybe his question suggests he is really asking whether there will be any penalty for him if he doesnt pay it, not really whether he should pay it or not)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭youtheman

Stekelly wrote: »
    The points cant be added but I always thought that fines are automatically charged to you card by the hire company. ie they pay it and bill you through your card.

I thought the points could not be added. I spoke to a guy recently who lives in Ireland but has an english license (and has done so for many years). He was caught speeding here in Ireland and when the cop found out he didn't have a Irish license just fined him, but no points. I thought it also worked the other way, i.e. Irish driver in U.K.

My reading of the letter from the car hire company is that they are not paying the fine, therefore not putting it on my credit card, but just adding an 'administration fee'. I think (legally) that the person driving the car has to be fined, not the registered owner.

Still not sure if I'll be dragged through some justice system if I ignore the fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

youtheman wrote: »
    I thought the points could not be added. .

? thats what I said.

Stekelly wrote: »
    ? thats what I said.
    Oops - sorry about that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Put it in the green bin. Save the trees!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Justice, conscience, responsible citizenship, to be good human being, be part of the law abiding population of the world rather than those ignore the law unless its is forced upon them, international courtesy, eternal salvation etc.
    ROFL....if that's the case, I was the second gunman on the grassy knoll :eek:

....a few sandwiches short a picnic :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Savman wrote: »
    ROFL....if that's the case, I was the second gunman on the grassy knoll :eek:
    ....a few sandwiches short a picnic :rolleyes:
    I hope neither of you two has kids.

Anan1 wrote: »
    I hope neither of you two has kids.

[Yawn] zzzz :rolleyes: ..sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

i know what you mean :rolleyes:. what a good little girl eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

youtheman wrote: »
    I got a letter from the car hire company . They charged me an administration fee of 15.00 pounds plus vat. They then said that “We have transferred the liability of this Traffic Offence to you”. So the good news is that my credit card will not be hit for the fine, it’s between the U.K. authorities and me (that’s the way I want it, I don’t want my credit card exposed further).

The UK police can in theory enforce the fine but when it is a foreign driver involved who is now outside the jurisdiction they simply won't bother.
    The hire company simply named you as a possible driver and returned the form to the police. It is now up to the UK police to follow it up, most likely they will not bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Chill, you're trying to get ahead of a situation that may never arise.

Sit tight and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Or more practical issues like they issue a warrant and the next time you enter the UK you are arrested and bailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

If you are a visitor from outside the UK, and you think that getting caught has no effect because of that, then again, you're wrong. You will be brought before a court as soon as possible. Any amount of points will be applied to your UK driving record, not to your driving licence. However you may be banned from driving any motor vehicle in the UK as well. Any fine on a foreign visitor must be paid straight away, and the Justices will, in most circumstances keep you in jail until the fine is paid.

So they could issue a warrent for your arrest, infact if they deemed it so, they could probably apply for an EU arrest/extradition warrant ( unlikely but theoretical )

wouldn't go back there again if I were you.....:D

Useful Info on speeding Law here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Bond-007 wrote: »
    The UK police can in theory enforce the fine but when it is a foreign driver involved who is now outside the jurisdiction they simply won't bother.
    The hire company simply named you as a possible driver and returned the form to the police. It is now up to the UK police to follow it up, most likely they will not bother.

It's unlikely that they'll bother unless you were over the limit by a lot (say, more than 50% of the limit) or you have previous records of speeding in the UK.

Saying that, if they do send you a fine, best to pay it to close the matter. You never know when you might be back there in the future, and under what circumstances. Imagine being there in a rental car with work colleagues/family members, and you get pulled for something trivial (eg: blown tail-light) and then their system says that you have an unpaid speeding fine from a few years ago...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I would agree if they do contact you it would be best to pay up promptly.

Thanks folks. Thought I was not going to get any real advice, but the last few posts have set me sraight.

I expect to be back in the U.K. a few times a year, so I don't want to be nabbed the first time I'm back.

I'll keep the fingers crossed that they don't bother trying to track me down, but if they do I think I'll roll over, cough up, etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement