Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I get mudguards to fit?

• 20-12-2007 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

This is a very lo-tech question.

The bottom has just fallen out of my Christmas present to my man. I bought him a Jeep Cherokee at Smyths. He really only wants a bike for pottering around with our kids. His requirements of a bike would be 2 wheels, a saddle, MUDGUARDS(he feels very strongly about this!), not expensive(he feels quite strongly about this) and a few other bits to join it all together.
    Well the Jeep Cherokee doesn't have mudguards but they assured me at Smyths that any of the mudguards you can buy would just clip on. I'm a firm believer in - you get what you pay for (he's not really) but ti seemed the business. It's hidden in a neighbour's house as we speak.
    Bought a set of mudguards. Went up tonight to fit them BUT there's no post to fix the back guard to. The post under the saddle doesn't go straight down but dives off in a very sharp angle forward and therefore the backguard clips onto something but can't be fixed in place with the usual bracket nut screw washer combo and drops down pathetically to touch the tyre!
    Is there any way back?
    I'd prefer not to have to drag the bike around to a bike shop as i won't be able to conceal that and bang goes the surprise. But is there any way to fit mudguards to this type of bike or do I have to bring back the bike and get one that already has guards fitted?
    Any help appreciated.
    Feeling miffed cos I thought for the first time ever I had his present sorted and in time.
    Sad and forlorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

zefalxxtrearmudguardrb2.jpg

Go down to the local bike shop and get something like that. Very easy to fit and catches most things coming off the back wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7377 ?

now i'm no expert on mountain bikes (i though a jeep cherokee was a big 4x4 for god's sake) but the rear guard above seems to have some adjustability which might solve your problem. it might be a bit late for delivery though :( so i'd say get yourself into a bike shop (or halfords if you can't get to one) and try some mudguards out on other dual sus bikes. i'm sure you'll find ones that'll fit.

fair play to ya, he'll be feckin delighted when he sees what ya got him. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jolo

Thanks guys.

Yes that guard looks lke the business. The one I have has a flimsey little grip like that big sturdy one but it needs to be held on in the middle as well. Thanks so much. Now I know what I need.

Glad you think he'll be happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

heres how to fit most mudguards for dual sus supermarket bikes.
    (1) raise the saddle(enough to fit the guards), this will probably be a 13mm bolt on the jeep.
    (2) take your spacers, and play around with them, until the mudguards holds tight, you may need to cut them(a decent blade or strong scissors)
    (3) attatch mudguards, screw in the bolt with a phillips screwdriver.
    (4) adjust angle with the little adjusters on the mudguards.

not all mudguards will fit thse bikes, and a front mudguard will be difficult to fit , possibly impossible

the front argos guard will not fit, the rear one will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭liamtinney

Buy the mudguard from your local bike shop because you are going to need them to fix the bike often, the worst bike i have ever worked on, I have refused to work on them any more, just cant be left usable, Would not put my child on one.

she already knows its rubbish:D:D
    yes i have to agree, jeep bikes are probably the absolute worst BSO(bike shaped object) never mind bike.
    its a thread in itself, but it seems the bike will be used twice amonth at best, its probably the right bike to go for??
    whats the story with smyths providing maintenance???and warranty?? they dont stock parts???

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jolo

Thanks again for all your help. Mudguards all fitted - crisis averted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

kona wrote: »
    whats the story with smyths providing maintenance???and warranty?? they dont stock parts???

Lol, I doubt they maintain them seeing as they can't assemble them properly in the first place.
    I owned one and the gears seized after 5 weeks.
    Got my money back, God bless the Sale of Goods and Services Act 1980.
    Possibly the most useful thing I learned in school. Justice for the little guy!

thats exactly what i thought!!!
    how did your gears seize?? i take it this is the non-shimano set up on these bikes whats the name of the derailleur on them...i can see em now!!!! god awful things!!
    so when a bike is returned they simply give the money back??waste of time to sell bikes so.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

kona wrote: »
    so when a bike is returned they simply give the money back??waste of time to sell bikes so.!

Of course, it ain't "merchantable quality" or "fit for the purpose".
    A consumer is fully entitled to money back.

The gears are operated on the right handlebar. What happened to me is something on the handle bar snapped so I only had one gear.
    I think the derailleur was fine, it was something on the handlebar.

Sure the bike wasn't safe when I got it. You pay €10 to get it assembled and the saddle was loose and the guy wouldn't raise it so it was very uncomfortable. They are leaving themselves wide open to claims if they bikes aren't being assembled properly.
    Anyway took it back, threatened the small claims court (only costs €9) and success:D

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

the worst bike i have ever worked on, I have refused to work on them any more,
    she already knows its rubbish

Jesus lads rein it in a bit will you. This lady came on looking for a bit of advice about a Christmas present and you piss all over it. Talk about the Grinch ffs.

This bike may not be the best in the world but will perfectly adequate for taking the kids out to the park every now and then , which is all that's required of it.

To Jolo , I wouldn't worry too much about the mudguards because if your hubby only wants it for a bit of messing about he is hardly likely to go out on it when its raining. Hope he loves it !!

Jesus lads rein it in a bit will you. This lady came on looking for a bit of advice about a Christmas present and you piss all over it. Talk about the Grinch ffs.

This bike may not be the best in the world but will perfectly adequate for taking the kids out to the park every now and then , which is all that's required of it.

To Jolo , I wouldn't worry too much about the mudguards because if your hubby only wants it for a bit of messing about he is hardly likely to go out on it when its raining. Hope he loves it !!

Read the thread properly???!!! i said its fine for its use....or lack of.
    she also said he feels strongly about having a set of mudguards.

oh yes.logan gears!!!!

and were not the grinch.if you actually worked on one youd understand:D:D