Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prague in January

• 20-12-2007 10:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm thinking of heading over to Prague in January for 3/4 days with some friends, and I have a few questions. All help much appreciated.

Firstly, I'd like some recommendation on a pretty cheap hostel. The most important factor is location (I'd really like to get as near to the main sights as possible), then cleanliness and comfort, then atmosphere and fun (not particularly important).

Also does anyone have any general recommendations for sights to see? I have a basic guide book, but would like to get some ideas and feedback from actual travellers rather than "travel book writers". What, within the city, is absolutely unmissable, and what should be avoided?

Any other general help or tips would be great too, on things like eating and drinking, getting around etc.

Again, any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 namornik

Amazon has guide books (used). Where to stay cheap, try AIRBNB.com and stay in Prague 1 or 2 to be near the sights. This talk about taxis and AAA is scary. I think the taxis are safe and you must establish they'll use the meter. Profi, AAA, and other established companies are good. There is an AAA written in script and is not the same as AAA normal, they park in the main square and are rip-offs. I would never take a taxi in the main squares. Using the public transport is best. A pass good for several days may be had at the Muzeum station at the top of Vaclavsky Namesti (main square in the center) on the Red and Green lines of the underground metro.

Things to do are plentiful. I laugh at people saying more than three days is too much. I lived there 14 1/2 years and am returning for the second time in 4 months also in January for 11 nights (12 days). I have rented a flat using AIRBNB. I laugh that you worry about what to do, go and see. As to the food being expensive, no it isn't but you won't recognize much of it unless you're dining at fast food restaurants (American). The food is tasty, try it. Try not to eat in dense tourist areas but get a bit off the beaten track or further out from the center at some restaurant on a main street and/or near one of the many shopping centers.

Life in Prague is sophisticated to a degree and affordable. Don't compare it to the US or other places, enjoy it for what it is. Lots of sights to see and excellent beer. Some the wines from Moravia are also quite good. The Czechs are easy going, Bohemia is the old name for the place so Bohemian is the natural style.

Have fun and go out to mingle. It's safe to walk around day and night, even for a lady alone. Can you beat that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

going there with the wife in feb so will be keeping an eye on this thread!

we found really reasonable apartment, its in the marriott longin centre, think its near one of the big squares. was as cheap as a good hostel, think it works out at around 50 for the apartment in total for the night

• Registered Users Posts: 2 namornik

Yes, that is a good average price, Be sure you communicate with the owner of the flat that you'll be expecting that price to include energy, bldg. maintenance, lift (if there is one), water and heat. That you'll not pay a cleaning fee as you intend to leave it reasonably clean. I used AIRBNB in Manila and got hit with all those charges plus Satellite. But I was in Manila for 28 days. I wrote the owner last time in Prague I wasn't expecting to pay any of that and he wrote back "Yes, no fees". At this time of year you are in low season in Prague, it's a renter's market.

I know where the Marriott Hotel is in the Center and if you are near that it's good. You'll like it. Be sure to get an easy to read map of the center, lots of twisty winding streets that are just fun. Every street you walk down will have architecture and perhaps even something more to enjoy - true on both sides of the river. And people are living in these buildings, you'll feel like you're in another age. There is the Slavia Cafe (famous, across from the National Theater (Narodni Divadlo), please, by all means go there and don't complain about people smoking. There is an upper non-smoking section but I wouldn't want to sit in it as much. Leave all prejudices at home, enjoy yourselves more.

Best to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ulyssescohen

Bridge band....go and see the bridge band - they are amazing

I also strongly recommend the clock tower - very interesting history
    namornik wrote: »
    Yes, that is a good average price, Be sure you communicate with the owner of the flat that you'll be expecting that price to include energy, bldg. maintenance, lift (if there is one), water and heat. That you'll not pay a cleaning fee as you intend to leave it reasonably clean. I used AIRBNB in Manila and got hit with all those charges plus Satellite. But I was in Manila for 28 days. I wrote the owner last time in Prague I wasn't expecting to pay any of that and he wrote back "Yes, no fees". At this time of year you are in low season in Prague, it's a renter's market.

I know where the Marriott Hotel is in the Center and if you are near that it's good. You'll like it. Be sure to get an easy to read map of the center, lots of twisty winding streets that are just fun. Every street you walk down will have architecture and perhaps even something more to enjoy - true on both sides of the river. And people are living in these buildings, you'll feel like you're in another age. There is the Slavia Cafe (famous, across from the National Theater (Narodni Divadlo), please, by all means go there and don't complain about people smoking. There is an upper non-smoking section but I wouldn't want to sit in it as much. Leave all prejudices at home, enjoy yourselves more.

Best to you.

Advertisement