Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

serious question

Options
  • 20-12-2007 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

hi all,
    this is really a serious question, would appreciate any help from any of you that wants to offer advice. Cant believe X-Mas is here, feel i've so little done, and know so little. I'm sorta panicking now. I'm doing 6 higher subjects and one ordinary (maths). I just want to know if i really start studying now, could i get 500 points? I feel ok in some subjects but really could do with advice, i find it hard to just sit and study and spent 5th and dis year up 2 now just doing homework and studying bits 2 keep teachers happy.

Also any advice on higher french and biology, both i feel especially biology is impossible, not doing very well at all in that! :( Also anyone know what economics is like in leaving cert as an extra subject or is it too late for an extra subject?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

first thing to do is not feel under pressure and panicky.....as doing so will hinder any work you need ta get done!!!

got to remember as well is that alot of the work your doing in class is sort of study!! essays and comprehension and going towards preparing you for what will come up in the L.C.

personally i know i can do alot more, and after the new year, with the mocks n all, im really gonna get stuck into it working alot more with both study and extra work myself as well as and cutting the social life back quite a bit!!:(

im sure if you get you head down and 'bit the bullet', do the horrible essays thinking of each one as a step towards towards your points, learn the stuff and keep on top of your work - can anyone ask anymore of you??

don't stress about it and im sure you'll be fine:)

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

Just do a bit every day! I didn't start the serious study until christmas because I was sick and I got the 500 marker point. Don't panick, you'll be fine as long as you work hard from now on!

The LC is all hype and you might not believe it but you will do better than you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

hi all,
    this is really a serious question, would appreciate any help from any of you that wants to offer advice. Cant believe X-Mas is here, feel i've so little done, and know so little. I'm sorta panicking now. I'm doing 6 higher subjects and one ordinary (maths). I just want to know if i really start studying now, could i get 500 points? I feel ok in some subjects but really could do with advice, i find it hard to just sit and study and spent 5th and dis year up 2 now just doing homework and studying bits 2 keep teachers happy.

Also any advice on higher french and biology, both i feel especially biology is impossible, not doing very well at all in that! :( Also anyone know what economics is like in leaving cert as an extra subject or is it too late for an extra subject?

Seeing as you have been doing work like homework and a bit of study, you're in no bad shape at all. You don't necessarily need to even start revising after Christmas, but if you think you should, you might as well and you'll be practically guaranteed over 500 I reckon.

Seeing how I was ****e at French and got an A1 in biology, I can only give advice on the latter. What I did was spend an hour per weekend, just going over notes on a specific topic (heart or lungs or photosynthesis etc)and it worked out for me. What kind of grade would you be aiming for in biology?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Why would you want to do another subject when you already think you are behind on the 7 your are doing at the moment?

You'll be fine, and yes you can probably get 500 points, but if you're aiming that high then stop thinking about studying and start doing study. I know how hard it can be to get into it, but once you motivate yourself to start and get into a routine every day then you should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭bright

Also anyone know what economics is like in leaving cert as an extra subject or is it too late for an extra subject?

a few years ago you might have been able to pick up economics and just study the first half of the course and answer those questions (microeconomics) but the lines have become much more blurred now, there are no gaurantees of no overlap.

I would recommend picking up accounting at this late stage as it is do-able with a bit of work and an apptitude for numbers (not really essential, but helpful). That is if you really must pick up another subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

As a general rule of thumb, picking up a subject at this stage isnt' recommended. You find yourself in a lose-lose situation. Either you devote too much time to it in order to pass (and have your other grades suffer as a result), or you dont' devote enough time to it and pass. An extra subject is an extra burden and trust me, burdens are not what you need come June!

If you have been doing the homework and studying occassionally up to now, then I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to get 500+ if you start to increase the pace as the days go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

Yea starting a new subject now mightn't be such a great idea. As far as the current subjects are concerned you need to knuckle down now. It's not too late. At this stage last year I hadn't done a patch of study 'for the leaving', I just kept up with the homework and the class tests. It didn't do me any harm, but of course that's just me. Still though, you'll be fine of you get down to it now. Don't panic whatever you do. I had done no study for accounting mock. I had a major panic attack and it wasn't pretty at all. Of course, it turned out that it was all pointless, as once you're faced with an exam and have nowhere to run you'll remember more than you think from doing all of the homeworks etc, so you'll turn out fine. Don't put yourself under any pressure though.

EDIT:Whatever about the mocks, if you start studying now then your 500 points target won't be an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Brooke01

hi all,

Yeah maybe you will be still able to get the 500 points if you study now . But biology !! its very hard to work with it now . So late now to get a good grade in . For Economics its a no from me . well it has maths in it . And lots and lots of studying very hard to do for a extra subject and so late on .try business maybe . may work for you now . i'm not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Well this is the reality of it, to get 500 points you need minimum 4 B1s and 2 B2s in your six honours subjects, what you really have to ask yourself is, if you sit down and start putting in the work now, can you do that?
    i find it hard to just sit and study and spent 5th and dis year up 2 now just doing homework and studying bits 2 keep teachers happy.

you may find it hard to focus but at the end of the day only you can do the study. All the previous posters here seem to be saying start now and you'll get it no bother, while i'm not suggesting you are not capable of getting 500 points, i think it's rather insulting to the many students who work really hard to achieve that kind of result every year to suggest that it's easy.

If you're only studying to keep the teachers happy don't expect miracles, they can only do so much, I assume you need 500 points for whatever course you are applying for, if you want it that much you need to get a study plan together now and figure out what work needs to be done to achieve those results.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Picking up 500 points at this stage? I would say its unlikely, but not impossible. If you are naturally intelligent enough and fab at retaining information combined with tons of study, it is possible. I can give you an example of my cousin, she studied about 3 hours a night in 5th and about 5 hours most weekends, in 6th year, she studied 4 hours a night, and 10 hours at weekends + 12 hours a day in the last 3 weeks before the exams. She got 490 points. She is relatively intellegent (now a chemical Engineer with UCD degree), so it gives an idea of the work that may be needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Picking up 500 points at this stage? I would say its unlikely, but not impossible. If you are naturally intelligent enough and fab at retaining information combined with tons of study, it is possible. I can give you an example of my cousin, she studied about 3 hours a night in 5th and about 5 hours most weekends, in 6th year, she studied 4 hours a night, and 10 hours at weekends + 12 hours a day in the last 3 weeks before the exams. She got 490 points. She is relatively intellegent (now a chemical Engineer with UCD degree), so it gives an idea of the work that may be needed.

I completely diasagree with you...one example of a student does not make it so for all. Its completely up to the individual how much they need to study coming up to exams. Its completely do able to get up to the 500 points at this stage, theres still plenty of time. The key is to get organised ans study effectively...everyone is different. Student X could take 3 hours to revise a chapter properly, while Student Y could revise it equally as well in half that time,....its quality not quanity.

Your cousin obviously worked hard, but you are making a ver very general statement by saying that thats the standard other students should be at to reach the high points.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kkumk

Yea I agree that it's possible to get 500 points if you start working hard now, but some students are naturally smarter than others. Take for example my friend who does absolutely no study and hates school, he gets 3 a1's, 1 b1 & 2 b2's in his Christmas test. While I've been studying consistently since 5th year, and ridiculously over the last few weeks, and I get 4 d1's 1 c3 & 1 b3. Me? Bitter? Noooo.... =P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

kkumk wrote: »
    but some students are naturally smarter than others. Take for example my friend who does absolutely no study and hates school, he gets 3 a1's, 1 b1 & 2 b2's in his Christmas test.

bastard!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Advertisement