Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mudflaps

Options
  • 20-12-2007 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

Maybe its just me, but my personal pet hate is cars without mudflaps.
    Ive noticed too that a lot of new cars dont have them fitted. Maybe they are an optional extra or whatever?

But i really think that they should be a requirement of the NCT, my support for this comes from it being Ireland, with its rain, diry roads from farmers, etc. If say for example your driving behind a car that does not have them fitted on a dark rainy night do you not find yourself using your window washer more often than usual? I do. And what if after all this usage your bottle emptys, the wipers swipe but with no water, your visability decreases, and your crash into a petrol station and it explodes.

Ok, the above example was dramatised a bit!! But your visability does suffer if you are driving behind a constant spray of water from a car in front. And i know mudflaps dont totally stop this but they do lessen it.

Am i the only one who is pro mudflaps?? Say it isn't so!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'm pro mudflaps - but only because they protect the car (to some extent) to which they are fitted from tar, dirt, etc.

No mudflap will eliminate spray-back to the vehicle behind. Maybe there's a reduction in spray - but fcuk all, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Cars don't look right if they don't have them but they have to be the proper molded type, not just the one-size-fits-all motor factor ones. I've had to fit them to 2 of the last 3 cars I've had.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

cantdecide wrote: »
    Cars don't look right if they don't have them but they have to be the proper molded type, not just the one-size-fits-all motor factor ones.

Agreed - those spurious ones look like badly fitting aprons. Manufacturer mudflaps look so much better, plus they are easier to fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

meh. they're not that great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Personally... I hate them! On some cars you'd barely notice they are there, on others they totally spoil the appearance. I can forgive the proper manufacturer molded ones, but there's no excuse for the cheapo dealer-branded yokes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

HJL wrote: »
    But i really think that they should be a requirement of the NCT, my support for this comes from it being Ireland, with its rain, diry roads from farmers, etc. If say for example your driving behind a car that does not have them fitted on a dark rainy night do you not find yourself using your window washer more often than usual? I do. And what if after all this usage your bottle emptys, the wipers swipe but with no water, your visability decreases, and your crash into a petrol station and it explodes.

Ok, the above example was dramatised a bit!! But your visability does suffer if you are driving behind a constant spray of water from a car in front. And i know mudflaps dont totally stop this but they do lessen it.

Am i the only one who is pro mudflaps?? Say it isn't so!

Jaysus!

Do we not have enough 'requirements' dictating how/what we should drive. I hate them with a passion (unless integrated subtly into the design of the car). It's the type of 'extra' 'oul lads bargain for as part of the deal when changing car ('mats, mudflaps and a fill of petrol').

Are you an 'oul lad? Or 'auld before your time?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

pburns wrote: »
    Jaysus!

Do we not have enough 'requirements' dictating how/what we should drive. I hate them with a passion (unless integrated subtly into the design of the car). It's the type of 'extra' 'oul lads bargain for as part of the deal when changing car ('mats, mudflaps and a fill of petrol').

Are you an 'oul lad? Or 'auld before your time?:)

I had to get them for my cars because they looked poitively odd without the OEM moulded flaps. I couldn't give a monkeys whether work or not or whether they're mandatory or not, the car looked silly without them and it would have looked worse with cheap ones.

Advertisement