Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Just Seen My Old Car for Sale - with lower mileage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Is there no chance that it was a typo?

What if he bought the car from someone else and is entirely innocent?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Silent Partner

Most people still advertise car mileage in miles. It's just what people are used to and can relate to.
    It'll take a few years for people to get used to kilometers. FFS, how many people still say "pound" instead of "euro"?!? :mad:

I've read through this thread and it seems to me that it could be all a "mountain out of a mole hill". There is every possibility that it could be down to clerical error. You would need to physically see the speedometer to veryify the car had been clocked. If you really want to, the OP should go to the garage in the guise of a buyer. The garage I assume doesn't know who you are as I think you said you dealt through a lease company?

Before you sharpen the pitchforks and warm up the fire under the stake, maybe make sure your facts are absolutely and undeniably 100%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The OP said that his former car had 118,000 km when he sold it and now the car is being advertised with 90,000 km. I know sometimes on cars with the mileage in kilometres the dealer says the car has x miles instead of x km but the OP said the car is being sold as having done 90,000 km,not 90,000 miles.

What car is it because some cars have the ability to change the mileometer from miles to km and vice versa?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

John R wrote: »
    Rubbish. It is not up to the OP or any of us to prove if the car has been clocked or who by.

He is simply stating that a car he sold previously at 118,000km is being advertised on the internet at 90,000km.

He says he has documentation showing the mileage and the link to the ad says something different.

So are you saying then that he should name and shame the dealer without validating the facts first? As said already it could be a mistake and unless you work for the gutter press it would be unreasonable to start making accusations in public at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

Dermo123 wrote: »
    So are you saying then that he should name and shame the dealer without validating the facts first? As said already it could be a mistake and unless you work for the gutter press it would be unreasonable to start making accusations in public at this stage.

Right folks, let's get this straight, there is no way that I'm going to name and shame the dealer as I don't think that it would be too hard for them to find out who the original owner was and I don't want to piss them off - I really don't want to wake up one morning with a horses head in my bed.

Also, I've thought that:

a) It's quite possible that the car had been clocked before it got to the dealers - it's advertised at a fairly large multi site dealers, who I would have hoped would have been ethical.
    b) It's a simple clerical error, but as the car is advertised in both Km and miles then I think that this is unlikely, and would show a fairly determined level of incompetence. I think that the mileage thats advertised on the car is about when it had it's last service - which by pure coincidence would have been the last time it was officially recorded.

I may take a drive to go and check the car sometime over Christmas and see what its really showing. If the odometer really is less than it used to be then I may well take it further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

And what if I buy the car tomorrow. I will not be best pleased with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I reckon you should name and shame the dealer, but before you do take a trip and make sure it has been clocked first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

Call out to them to make sure it's the same reg too if it's not on the pictures.

And what if I buy the car tomorrow. I will not be best pleased with you.

Hey, it's not me that clocked it, so don't get bent out of shape with me.

There's no way that I can name and shame until I know for sure what the full story is and even then I think that the more productive plan will be to report it to either the guards or the consumer folks.

I'm 100% positive that it's the same car - the reg is clear and there's multiple photos - I can even make out the wear in the carpet and the car kit that I had fitted.

• Advertisement

I think TBL was saying the fact you knew it was clocked (if it is) and didn't name the dealer would annoy him

bennyx_o wrote: »
    I think TBL was saying the fact you knew it was clocked (if it is) and didn't name the dealer would annoy him

I agree with that, the problem is that I don't know for sure it's been clocked and even then, don't know that the dealer did it. I think that the papertrail on that car would be easy to work out for the guards as I have petrol receipts, the lease company presumably have documents as to when they sold it and the dealer must have some purchase record.

Somebody just needs to work it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Give the Op a break guys, How would you feel if you owned a garage and got in this car and it had been clocked before you got it. I bet you wouldnt like it so much if you were named and shamed for no fault of your own.

OP, check the car out in person and if your suspicisions are correct then report it to Gardai or Consumer Affairs. This way the person who clocked the car may be found as it may not be the dealer.

No point in naming and shaming a garage that may be perfectly ethical. They may not be, we just dont know

Redjeep! wrote: »
    I agree with that, the problem is that I don't know for sure it's been clocked and even then, don't know that the dealer did it. I think that the papertrail on that car would be easy to work out for the guards as I have petrol receipts, the lease company presumably have documents as to when they sold it and the dealer must have some purchase record.

Somebody just needs to work it out.
    I totally agree with what you're saying, which is why I said check to make sure it's clocked before you name the dealer.

The authorities, most likely, will not give a sheeeite. Isn't there some loophole that says it's not illegal to sell a clocked car unless they tell you it's genuine mileage. As the poster the said, SIMI didn't give a hoot and even if someone does take it up, it'll take a good while for it to get sorted, so the only way the OP can stop this car selling to one of us is by telling us the car, but clearly that person is too cowardly to tell us...

The authorities, most likely, will not give a sheeeite. Isn't there some loophole that says it's not illegal to sell a clocked car unless they tell you it's genuine mileage. As the poster the said, SIMI didn't give a hoot and even if someone does take it up, it'll take a good while for it to get sorted, so the only way the OP can stop this car selling to one of us is by telling us the car, but clearly that person is too cowardly to tell us...

TBL - you could try having somebody read out to you what I've written and why I don't think it's a good idea before you start throwing insults around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Redjeep: just go and look at the fecking car will ya. You haven't seen your old car: you seen an ad for your old car. (Are you from around KK or WX?)

The ad is probably a typo and the car's not clocked and there's no story.

Jeez a 3 page thread over what.. An internet ad that's probably wrong?

TBL - you could try having somebody read out to you what I've written and why I don't think it's a good idea before you start throwing insults around.

I read what you wrote. You wrote "I don't want to wake up with a horses head in my bed" or something to that effect...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Isn't there some loophole that says it's not illegal to sell a clocked car unless they tell you it's genuine mileage.

It is NOT illegal to clock a car. It IS illegal to sell on a clocked car.

E92 wrote: »
    It is NOT illegal to clock a car. It IS illegal to sell on a clocked car.

But what if you tell the person you're selling it to that the car is clocked?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭IncredibleHulk

If you really want to, the OP should go to the garage in the guise of a buyer.
    Or give all info to consumers ass and let them do it.If you want to expose them get all your evidene before you warn them or ask any questions.If possible get pic of the mileage on a phone or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭IncredibleHulk

will be to report it to either the guards or the consumer folks
    That is the way to do it, get all the info you can first on the quiet.If you speak to a sales man tape him and give the tape to the garda

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

Dude you need to find out and do something fast,you cant let some poor sod buy this car and the arse drops out of it on him after the warrenty ends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

why do you even look at the mileometer on a car. a car with 30,000 miles on the clock suburban would be worse off than a car 80,000 motorway miles on it. nevermind the oddometer look at the condition of the car and drive it see how loose it is or not. the person selling you the car is a good indicator too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Chocice

That add should be posted here if possible to name and shame.....none of us I'm sure would like to pay our hard earned cash to get ripped off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Right folks, let's get this straight, there is no way that I'm going to name and shame the dealer
    Chicken.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

OP, just go physically look at the car (specifically the mileage) and if it is showing as having been clocked, report it and post here. You mentioned the ad has multiple pictures - pity one of those isn't the mileage.. a lot of ads seem to include a shot of this.

Or as Unkel (I think it was) suggested earlier, post a scan of your last receipt and the link and I'm sure someone here will be more than happy to follow up on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

OP, what I probably would've done is posted a link to the car on here and simply said that according to the advert, there appears to be a discrepancy with the mileage listed... saying simply that.

Then I would've followed it up off line, get clear facts, then post back with clarification.

That way your not making any accusations, simply pointing out something that needs to be cleared up. That way fellow members would be "aware".

Brian

thats pretty bad, is this kind of thing widespread does anyone know?
    The service interval for the timing belt will be wrong. Thats big money and possibly end of vehicle if it went!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Or just put the make, model and colour of the car. Then anyone currently looking at the car follow it up from there.

Advertisement