Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Quick and Dirty Net Connection?

Options
  • 21-12-2007 1:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I need broadband in a premises with no phoneline. I has to be reasonably reliable and cheap. Speed isn't so important, but I need it up and running soon. No torrents, no uber heavy use.

I was looking at IBB ripwave as I can just pick it off the shelf and it seems to work reasonably well. Is there a better option?

/edit Southside Dublin based.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Mobile Broadband I suppose, O2, Vodafone or Three.
    Can get it up ad running as soon as you go into town and buy the modem bring it home and install it.

However
    - Caps are small but you said you don't need heavy usage
    - speeds are somewhat ok depending on coverage
    - reasonably cheap...20e per month for Three's offering
    - to be honest wireless generally can not be considered as reliable as cable/dsl but this is debatable as even dsl can have issues depending on cable quality

I think other then IBB's offering thats the fastest install you'll get...maybe clearwire, their adverts seem to mention next day install but don;'t know how true this is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭newbusiness

That's great Cabaal, just needed a few pointers.

I'll check out Clearwire and the mobile providers, otherwise I'll ripwave it.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Just reading the thread and I had to post- I rang Clearwire a few weeks back asking about getting wireless in. they guy on the other end was totally rude. I asked him was it possible to get it in my area- a large enough town in Clare and he said no. I then asked him when would he see it rolling out in my area, he just said "I dont" and said bye. Not exactly the message that annoying add on the radio is sending out eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

IBB ripwave or O2 Mobile Internet.
    Both are reasonable dialup replacement.

Check out install time with Fixed Wireless suppliers which is real Broadband. (See the FAQ). Though I imagine you would be lucky to get any of those, esp. Metro before Christmas now.

Advertisement