Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

17 stone rugby player

Options
  • 21-12-2007 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭

I'm probably fatter than you, but I don't want to lose any weight. How's that work? Well, my experiences playing rugby this season at 17 stone+ have been fantasic.

I played the 05-06 season at a very fit 14 stone, was down to 32" waist and in the high 13st at one point even I think. I enjoyed the season and lasting 80 mins was no problem, I relished the one chance I got to play games on both Sat and Sunday.

I missed 90% of the 06-07 season due to a fscked up back that left me needing a lot of chiropractors visits (which did the job brilliantly). I also took up World of Warcraft (the Heroin of computer games) and then started a business (this is my fix to get over the WoW addiction).

This year I started back rugby training again with zero cardio fitness - out of breath climbing long steps - and lots fatter, 42" waist! The cardio training has been a killer for me, finding it really tough, always last to do everything, and in the games I've played (brought on as sub) I was slow without ball in hand.

The thing I found strange was how positive it is to be 17 stone on the pitch, I'd never been this heavy before. I've never carried this much momentum into tackles, it's incredible how much of a difference it makes in driving a maul and hitting the pillars at the ruck. Overall, it's added an extra dimension to my game - I always had a lot of power for my size but this is shockingly good fun :)

One of my resolutions for 2008 will be to get rid of all the fat I gained recently, back down to a respectable 34" waist, and hopefully then get back up to 16.5 to 17 stone without looking too muscle bound.

Cheers.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

To have a 34" waist and be 16.5-17 stone would leave you looking pretty phenomnly large if you're under 5'10.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Hey Hanley, yeah I'm guessing it will. I'll have to see how it goes. I'm 5'7.

I'll try keep a regular diet & training log here come Jan, and find some pics.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭figs86

hey mate,

after a 2 year injury forced time out of rugby im goin back come january as a 6'2'' 17 stone forward, good to hear its great craic to be that heavy seein as im probably about 15 and a half stone when im match fit.

I'll be joining you on the ''lose weight then add muscle'' crew

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Leon11

best of luck man

Advertisement