Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiler acting crazy!

Options
  • 21-12-2007 3:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

Hi,
    my boiler started asting a little nuts tonight. Thought it was air-locked but that wasn't the problem. She turns on for a few minutes but then shuts off completely and won't come back on.

Any suggestions for a home remedy or will I have to bite the bullet and call a professional!!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Shewhomustbe...

After a cold night and wearing a wooly hat indoors I figured out the problem!!:D

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Care to enlighten us?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Any suggestions for a home remedy or will I have to bite the bullet and call a professional!!
    Good luck with that mate. I can feel your pain already!

I've been having similar problems over the past year. Had umpteen different plumbers out, each with a totally different opinion. I'm biting the bullet and getting a new boiler in January.

It could be due to a number of different reasons - the pressure of the water going in might not be high enough - your rads & pipes might be sludged up inside - the thermostat might be knackered - PCB might be knackered, and so on.

If you are getting someone out, do try and avoid getting a Bord Gais engineer. They are only allowed work on the boiler itself and if the problem lies outside the boiler then they won't be able to fix it and you'll have wasted your money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

I had a problem of my Firebird oil boiler sometimes cutting out via the water stat. The problem was that although the pump appeared to be circulating it actually wasn't.

With pump switched off, removing the back cap and inserting a screwdriver to give impellor a twist sorted problem temporarily.
    I would suggest replacing pump before boiler first.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Shewhomustbe...

Well I was a bit embarrassed to say as it was a self-inflicted problem :o
    Did some moving around of things in the hot-press, accidentally moved a lever and couldn't remember which way it was supposed to be. We picked the wrong one and stopped the water going to the pipes. (Goes and hides in shame :rolleyes: )
    Will definitely be getting the thing serviced in the New Year.:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement