Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barking cough

Options
  • 21-12-2007 8:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys
    Any else have a child with a bad barking cough but other wise ok. I think there is somthing doing the rounds but wife worries it could be a return of croup(sp?)

Cheers
    D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

How old is the child ?
    And if you are not happy do bring them to the dr.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

If it croup steaming helps alot.ie. turn on electric shower to steam up bathroom or boil pots of water in kitchen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

there's no evidence that steaming works, and it's not reccomended anymore.

OP, if you're kid has a barking cough, get him checked out.

I have no idea what it is, as barking cough has several causes. But if it's croup he/she might benefit from treatment if it's bad enough to warrant it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Bring the child to a doctor if you are even slightly concerned.

Do you really want to have to bring them to A&E on Christmas morning just because you didn't do anything about a barking cough earlier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭folkswagen

I find there is a lot of it about recently - ever notice a foggy night brings the barking out?:)

I will always use steam when my son gets croup - sit in the ensuite playing with toys with electric shower on until bark dies down - spent many a half hour in the wee hours doing that - and then back to sleep and everyone happy:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

Wow dont recommend steaming anymore! Why?

I still swear by it I would have had been in the mental by now if it had not been for steaming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

undecided wrote: »
    Wow dont recommend steaming anymore! Why?

I still swear by it I would have had been in the mental by now if it had not been for steaming!

Yea the studies compared kids who had croup and were "steamed", against kids who had croup and weren't "steamed".

There was no discernable differences between the two groups.

But if you feel it helps, go for it. Some people feel it works for their kids. If it does, then fire away and use it.

As a distraction and as a way to often get a child to rexlax I find steaming to be really helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sarahx

sounds like asthma .... i have the same kind of cough and so does my 6yr old .. a course of steroid inhalers should take it away ....

sarahx boards.ie can not give medical advice and if a trained dr can not diagnoise over the internet then posters here are expected not to try. Boards.ie does not have medical insurance and the admins to not want to be sued.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sarahx

Thaedydal wrote: »
    sarahx boards.ie can not give medical advice and if a trained dr can not diagnoise over the internet then posters here are expected not to try. Boards.ie does not have medical insurance and the admins to not want to be sued.

i was simply suggesting that the child might need an inhaler. in order to get that one must visit their G.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭finbarrk

All helpfull advice is welcome I think.

finbarrk wrote: »
    All helpfull advice is welcome I think.

Medical advice is not as per the charter and the site rules.

Advertisement