Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weak bindings?

• 21-12-2007 9:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭

Just got my board back from waxing {well my friend did (cheers lad)} and according to the guy that did it, my bindings are way too soft and should be upgraded before I do anything adventurous. Reckons they're dangerous. :eek:

Thing is, I'm flying out to Finland on Stephen's Day, which doesn't exactly leave a lot of time for shopping!

What do you guys reckon, pop into somewhere like irishsnowboards and spluge or wait until the gear shop in the resort? A little concerned as I wouldn't know what I was at in the shop, and would like somebody who would advise me on the sale in their primary language not just make a sale. :rolleyes:

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Sorry don't know too much about Finland, but generally are things more expensive or is it a tax free area?

If I was uncertain, then I would get the bindings here, just to be sure.

Unless its a Tax free area I can't see the cost diffference being too much. The only other benefit would be if you could get some bindings over in Finland that you couldn't get here.

Enjoy your Holiday! and it would be great if you could post on what the resorts like :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Cool. Cheers. Think I'll pop into the guy in Dublin tomorrow. Should be up around those parts. No harm having a chat anyway. Don't think it's a tax haven! :p Will defo post about the resort. Might even post some pics or links to videos of me breaking myself up! :P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

for what its worth I had cheap bindings, upgraded them to semi decent bindings, made the biggest difference to my boarding.. dont me afraid to spend a bit of money on them

Sound. I'll have a looksee tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Enjoy your Holiday! and it would be great if you could post on what the resorts like :)

There was No Snow!!!!
    I won this trip with Bulmers and if I had of paid for it myself I would've been very piste off !!!
    (see what I did there?) We got to our hotel in Jami around midnight on wednesday... all very hungry and thristy, I picked up our keys and we dropped off our bags. Went back downstairs to look for food and drink to find the place empty. Nothing open and nobody around to give us some info....
    the Info desk opened at 8:30 so I was in there at 8:35 to see what the story was with Snowboarding... there's a 1250m indoor ski tunnel beside the hotel but the downhill slopes where over 100Km away and with no bus organised for us on Thursday, it was gonna cost €250 for a taxi. No thanks!! We went off horse riding instead which was actually really nice and I'm glad we did it. Friday and Saturday bulmers had a bus organised for us and we hit the slopes. There was one VERY small slope open and on bigger slope. I'm not sure if you could even call the bigger one a Blue. We got to do 4 hours of boarding each day which was cool and I looked at it as an oppurtunity to teach my g/f to board and a chance to refresh my skills before our proper trip in 5 weeks time. All in all, the trip was fun and i enjoyed the few hours on the slopes alot and my g/f got moving on a board. But i'd never pay to go back there.

PS: I landed my first jump!!!! It was awesome!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Sorry to hear that :(

Glad to see you looking on the bright side though, since your GF got some practice on the board she will probably go to the front of her class in board school once you go on your Main trip.

I would love a few hours on the slopes to learn how to ride switch, I tried it on my last holiday but kept getting frustrated and reverting back to regular.

Congrats on your first jump too!!

Cheers!!!!

Don1 was trying to get on his toes. He can get onto his toes but has trouble getting back again.

Come on Oberstdorf for lots more jumps!!!!

Trying to get back is why I believe I got a concussion and now have vertigo. As I can't remember the crash I'm just guessing! :D

Back to bindings. Got annoying clipping in and out of the standard type ones I have. Are Flow Flight 2 for €125 a good buy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Neilthefunkee1

Don1 wrote: »
    Are Flow Flight 2 for €125 a good buy?

they are your entry level flow's.. have never rode flows few mates have said they feel just like normal bindings but just slightly quicker binding in time... we had a race in andorra last yr to see which was quickest and really its just seconds...

a matter of interest what was your last set of bindings.. the ones that were too weak??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I'm not an expert on bindings but I love my flows to bits. They're so damn convenient, it's great being able to clip down the heel and put your foot in and out while everyone else is strapping up for a few minutes :)

Just waiting for my lift to Dublin now, flight out to France is at 3 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

it's great being able to clip down the heel and put your foot in and out while everyone else is strapping up for a few minutes :)

Yeah, but then you have to wait for the feckers...

I've ridden flows since I first tried them, but I'm considering changing to a crossbreed like the K2 cinch. Reason being, flows are bloody impossible to get out of if you get stuck in deep snow (can't push the highback back), which could be dangerous if you got caught in a small avalanche. I was buried to my neck a couple of years ago, and it took me nearly an hour to get out, because I had to dig down and then all the way around the back of my bindings to release them. Had I been buried a foot deeper, or had I landed horizontally under the snow, I'd have suffocated.

Some people say flows aren't as responsive as strap bindings, but I think that's a crock (plus if it is true, it's probably negated by the cinch-type bindings).

well there's an advertisement for regular bindings if I ever saw one. Although... I don't plan on going anywhere avalanche territory for quite a while yet.

I have Elfgen Freeride 82s (I think 82, definately Freeride) and the whole things just flex like crazy. Think I'll go for those Flow bindings so. As Shayk1 said, we'll be away from major avalanche risk for a while yet!! Cheers all.

Flow Flight 2 bindings ordered. Now all I have to do is sleep for four weeks and wake up in time for Germany!!! Wooo!!!

Advertisement