Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rust on a car

Options
  • 21-12-2007 10:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

Looking at a car that has 2 spots of rust on the bonnet. Probably put there by loose chippings. Should I worry too much about it and just touch them up after Christmas or should I leave it go? Live beside the sea if that makes a difference...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Living by the sea will always exacerbate the problem.

If you want to buy it and it's a reasonably new car you could insist the panel be painted if a delaer has it. If it's private, you could insist on a lower price as it's such a relevant problem to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

I had a bit of surface rust on my 98 Seat Ibiza on the boot lid, and a bit on the arches. Got a guy to sand and fill it and sprayed to look like new. If its just on the bonnet then id imagine your safe enough, if its just a few specs caused by stone chipping then like you say you could lightly sand it and touch it up. Or get the whole bonnet sprayed to get it looking professional. If for example its an older car in red, the new paint could stick out. But cars of a certain age can get surface rust. If for example its a newish car, then i mght question why it has rust, i dont think a 2 year old car for example should have any rust on it yet, stone chipping or not.

All IMO of course, im not an expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

HJL wrote: »
    I had a bit of surface rust on my 98 Seat Ibiza on the boot lid, and a bit on the arches. Got a guy to sand and fill it and sprayed to look like new. If its just on the bonnet then id imagine your safe enough, if its just a few specs caused by stone chipping then like you say you could lightly sand it and touch it up. Or get the whole bonnet sprayed to get it looking professional. If for example its an older car in red, the new paint could stick out. But cars of a certain age can get surface rust. If for example its a newish car, then i mght question why it has rust, i dont think a 2 year old car for example should have any rust on it yet, stone chipping or not.

All IMO of course, im not an expert.

Yeah, can you give us further details or a photo??

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

cantdecide wrote: »
    Yeah, can you give us further details or a photo??

The worst bit was around the number plate, it was a UK import so id guess that when the yellow plate was being removed that they lifted some paint and water got underneath. Now i should have pointed out that it was just rust bubbling, not actual visable rust, i dunno if that makes any difference to repairing it or not. As for the arches they were a bit worse, some bit of metal edging had even came of mine. But the guy got it sorted anyway with a bit of filler and a respray of the lower boot lid and quarter panel of the affected arch. And as far as i know for NCT is concerned, as long as there is no rust on the chassis and other vital areas its ok, it just counts as cosmetic rust.

Any panel beater/sprayer should be able to do such a job.

Advertisement