Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Remove car radio from a Ford car

Options
  • 21-12-2007 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭

Hi

I was wondering would anybody know where I could pick up the tools to remove a car radio from a ford fiesta and a ford focus (it is legal...I own both cars). I think they are a pair of U-shaped keys.

Anyone?

Merry Christmas!

regards, Laoisfan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I'm sure I have a pair of these from when I had a Focus. I'll send them on to you if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Halfords do them for about €6
    What year cars are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Shamo

On a side note, do Halfords sell the Focus (MK1) faceplates so you can fit a standard radio in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

I'm sure I have a pair of these from when I had a Focus. I'll send them on to you if you want.

sure check & see if ye have them and get back to me (PM).

the ford fiest is '99 model, the focus is '03. from looking at them both, i believe the same tool will remove both.

fletch wrote: »
    Halfords do them for about €6
    What year cars are they?

Are Halfords in Dublin? I never heard of them in Dublin to be honest. Where abouts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Keep your money in your pocket - you can easily make up a pair of tools with a wire coat-hanger and a strong pair of electricians pliers, works just as well as the shop bought item.

once you have inserted the ends in about 3cms, apply outwards pressure on the U's, while gently pulling forward the radio.

gyppo wrote: »
    Keep your money in your pocket - you can easily make up a pair of tools with a wire coat-hanger and a strong pair of electricians pliers, works just as well as the shop bought item.

once you have inserted the ends in about 3cms, apply outwards pressure on the U's, while gently pulling forward the radio.

you know what....i was actually thinking of that myself....i might turn on the auld MacGyver song and give it ago :)

found halfords (google). i see there is one in kilkenny...if i have to i'll pick up a pair there...if the clothes hanger job fails!

--laoisfan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

they are only about €2 in a main dealer!

or just ask for a loan of them there!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

drive to any main ford dealership, they usually have on site garage..any mechanic will do it free in 30 seconds

gyppo wrote: »

tried this with the fiesta. made the U's from a wire coat hanger, inserted about 3cms, applied outware pressure whilst pulling gently forward. no budge...well a little bit.

i guess one has to persevere with this, yeah?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

The coat hanger will probably bend if you try putting outward pressure. As suggested, I would just go into any dealers and ask them to pop it out for you for free and most will oblige.

fletch wrote: »
    The coat hanger will probably bend if you try putting outward pressure. As suggested, I would just go into any dealers and ask them to pop it out for you for free and most will oblige.

exactly!

my U pins were a bit long so i shorten them down plus i only inserted them about 2cm into the holes. i applied a little outward pressure and hey presso out popped the radio. sweet!!

thanks gyppo for the suggestion of using the wire hanger....plus playing macgyver was inspiration too...LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

laoisfan wrote: »
    Are Halfords in Dublin? I never heard of them in Dublin to be honest. Where abouts?

Theres one in Carrickmines:

http://www.thepark.ie/shopping.htm

Im sure theres more, but thats the only one Ive been to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

i can do it with a coat hanger though you need a conversion kit which costs around 20 quid.

nice little nixxer for any local mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

I used 4 thin headed screw drivers, Get a friend to help, You may also need to buy A new adapter for the wiring and a prawn type connector for the radio signal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

laoisfan wrote: »
    exactly!

my U pins were a bit long so i shorten them down plus i only inserted them about 2cm into the holes. i applied a little outward pressure and hey presso out popped the radio. sweet!!

thanks gyppo for the suggestion of using the wire hanger....plus playing macgyver was inspiration too...LOL

Did you check to see if you have both radio codes??.

mondeoman wrote: »
    Did you check to see if you have both radio codes??.

yes have both radio codes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

just use coat hangers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Also try going into any motor factor shop, and borrowing a set for thirty seconds.

Advertisement