Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fulham sack Sanchez

• 21-12-2007 11:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭

Well, not exactly surprising! They've been pretty woeful this season. Leaving Norn Iron when qualification was still possible may not seem like the best idea now.

No link yet, just broke on Sky Sports News.

Hmmm, is it coincidence that former Fulham player John Collins left Hibs yesterday?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

that's surely gonna put him right in the frame for Irish job :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭roar_ie

John Collins will be offered the job i reckon, a case of convenient timing. Current manager doing poorly and another qualified manager has become available for the chairman to hire.

Link:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/f/fulham/7155545.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Sanchez had just 3 wins with Fulham up until now - simply not good enough especially considering Fayed actually spent some decent money this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Collins in, (Fulham win tomorrow).

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Fairplay to him for what he done at N.Ireland but I wouldnt want him near any club I supported.

Hopefully those people who thought Jewell should get the Ireland job dont start linking Sanchez with it! As I wouldnt rate either of them. N.Ireland was his peak and its back to lower divisions for good now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

mike65 wrote: »
    Collins in, (Fulham win tomorrow).

what? has he been confirmed already?

I feel a bit sorry for Lawrie. Fulham's a pretty **** job, the best would struggle with a club that small imo. it's amazing they've managed to stay up as long as they did.

Not yet but Fulham now have a better than evens chance of winning a game merely by sacking the manager and playing Wigan helps. :)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

mike65 wrote: »
    Not yet but Fulham now have a better than evens chance of winning a game merely by sacking the manager and playing Wigan helps. :)

Mike.

heh, that's true. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Sanchez had just 3 wins with Fulham up until now - simply not good enough especially considering Fayed actually spent some decent money this summer.
    Absolutely. He got to spend the guts of £20mil and nothing to show for it. Also was too eager to use the old "Refs' are against us" excuse to cover up the sheer amount of late goals they conceded - when really it just smacked of bad coaching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

IMO, this is absolute horrible timing from Al Fayed, the right time to sack him would've been a few games back, sacking him a few games back and hiring a new manager would give the new manager decent time to see where the leaks in the team are, plus if we don't hire a new manager soon, we will have to go through 3 games with that tosser Ray Lewington in charge. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

There must be more sacked managers in the prem this year than than any other seasons surely

whats that now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

BBC wrote:
    Sanchez becomes the seventh managerial casualty of the Premier League season
    Bloody unforgiving job...

When Fayed didn't sack him around the time everyone else seemed to be switching jobs, I actually thought Sanchez might get a bit of time... obviously not. Weird timing for me just before the Christmas run of games

7 managers gone so far this season.

Sanchez/Mourinho/Lee/Davies/Jol/Hutchings/Bruce the latter not sacked of course.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

I think he could do a good job for Ireland. Better than Stan anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Well, at least 4 of those decisions will be 'justified' in the minds of the chairmen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Bloody unforgiving job...

When Fayed didn't sack him around the time everyone else seemed to be switching jobs, I actually thought Sanchez might get a bit of time... obviously not. Weird timing for me just before the Christmas run of games

My thoughts exactly, the time to sack him was a few weeks back, not right before the Christmas run of games... hopefully this late decision is not going to haunt Al Fayed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

I think he's not the right man for the job and doesn't deserve the job. However the timing is bad alright though.

It'll be funny if John Collins gets the job cos there's a player caled Collins John or there used to be anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Way too soon to sack the man. If the chairman doesn't believe he has the capabilities for the job, he shouldn't have appointed him. He obviously did so it makes perfect sense to give him the chance to turn things around.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Do they sell Harrods pies down at Craven Cottage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

He really should have seen out the campaign at Northern Ireland. If he had even got them qualified for Euro2008 (and I believe they would have made it had he stayed) he would have had clubs all over Europe sitting up and taking notice. Now he's pretty much nowhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

The question of whether he would be good for the republic is blackened by his track record- abandoning your team for £££ in the middle of qualification, do we really want someone like this?

Wouldnt be particularly upset to see McLeishs management career go down the pan either, seeing as he left his country when he had more positive work to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

McLeish managed Scotland for about 11 months and beat France and Ukraine. And lost matches against Georgia and Italy when it really mattered. Ppl seem to forget that Walter Smith done most of the hard work but McLeish got all the praise. Wont be suprised if Birmingham go downhill soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Pigman II wrote: »
    He really should have seen out the campaign at Northern Ireland. If he had even got them qualified for Euro2008 (and I believe they would have made it had he stayed) he would have had clubs all over Europe sitting up and taking notice. Now he's pretty much nowhere.

True. He was on a roll with the North and it would have really bought him some kudos if he'd got a team of lower-division players to the Euro finals, which wasn't out of the question by any means. After he left they blew it with a couple of stupid results.

Now he'll be (probably) back to managing at somewhere like Southend or Swindon. Though to be fair some managers are very good lower-league managers who for whatever reason aren't suited to the premiership. Maybe he's one of those. It's a different style, and in some ways success with a lower-league club is more commendable as you can't just go out and buy the best players available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

McLeish managed Scotland for about 11 months and beat France and Ukraine. And lost matches against Georgia and Italy when it really mattered. Ppl seem to forget that Walter Smith done most of the hard work but McLeish got all the praise. Wont be suprised if Birmingham go downhill soon enough.

Walter Smith is another traitor IMO.

The Georgia and Italy matches had some shockingly bad reffing.

Advertisement