Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business registration:how long?

Options
  • 21-12-2007 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I registered a business name on core.ie on the 12th. It says on my workspace on the site that it's registered. I need the RBN number though as it's for a domain registration. Does this come in the post?
    How long before I get it? I know it's the worst time of the year to be waiting for something in the post.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Hi, don't really know the service, but could you try and search for your business name at http://www.cro.ie/search/ and see if it gives you your RBN number?

seems like a great service though

/presume ringing them wouldn't be any use?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

lukin wrote: »
    Hi,
    I registered a business name on core.ie on the 12th. It says on my workspace on the site that it's registered. I need the RBN number though as it's for a domain registration. Does this come in the post?
    How long before I get it? I know it's the worst time of the year to be waiting for something in the post.
    If it is for a .ie domains, your registrar will be able to register the domain and supply the RBN number later. The IEDR is closing today for the Christmas Holidays so you may have to speed up things. The www.cro.ie/search facility may give you the RBN number.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭lukin

Yeah it's there but I've got a problem I think:there's another business name the exact same as mine. How come mine was accepted so?
    Or has it not been accepted? I didn't check to see if the name I registered was in use already.
    Edit:stupid question that;it would have prevented me registering it in the first place.
    It seems a bit silly that I have to do a search to find out my own RBN. Why the hell didn't they email it to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

lukin wrote: »
    Yeah it's there but I've got a problem I think:there's another business name the exact same as mine. How come mine was accepted so?
    Or has it not been accepted? I didn't check to see if the name I registered was in use already.
    Edit:stupid question that;it would have prevented me registering it in the first place.
    It seems a bit silly that I have to do a search to find out my own RBN. Why the hell didn't they email it to me?

No. An RBN does not prevent anyone else from registering the same name as an RBN. The only value it has is in getting the .ie domain. If you want to really protect the brand then you have to apply for a trademark. They have to send the registered business name certificate by post as technically you are meant to display it at your place of business.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭lukin

jmcc wrote: »
    No. An RBN does not prevent anyone else from registering the same name as an RBN. The only value it has is in getting the .ie domain. If you want to really protect the brand then you have to apply for a trademark. They have to send the registered business name certificate by post as technically you are meant to display it at your place of business.

Regards...jmcc

Hold on though I found this:

"The CRO does not check proposed business names against names on the registers of companies or business names. It is advisable, therefore, to investigate the possibility of others having rights in the name which it is proposed to use before incurring expenditure on business stationery, etc."

here:
    http://www.cro.ie/ena/about-cro-functions.aspx

• Advertisement
Advertisement