Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irelands 1st Snowboard & Ski Championships

• 21-12-2007 12:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭

All,

Again with Aidan's permission from Irishsnowboarder.com, I would like to make you all aware of "Ireland's 1st Snowboard & Ski Championships (On snow)" taking place in Livigno March of this year. They have really gone all out, organising accommodation, Ski\Board clinics, Ski passes, Equipment hire, competitions and even Apres-Ski!

Perhaps, if anyone is interested we could organise a Boards group to meet up and join them. I can imagine that a lot of people would love to go but haven't a group to go with, so we could organise a group here and at least then we would have our own little group. I think its a fantastic opportunity to meet up with lots of other Irish Skiers\Boarders, have fun, learn some new tricks and its a great excuse to support a very worthy cause!

Straight from IrishSnowboarder.com
    Livigno 2008

LivignoSnow.com will be your hosts for the week and are organising the whole event at local prices to ensure your holiday costs are kept to a minimum. There is a full breakdown of costings with relevant information below. All questions, inquiries and bookings should be addressed to Nikki McLeary on info@livignosnow.com For further information about the company you are very welcome to view www.LivignoSnow.com

COST
Flight, transfer and accommodation starting from 500 euros per person.

THE EVENT
Taking place from Saturday 08 - 15 March 2008. These dates are not flexible. The event is from Saturday to Saturday to fit in with the resort's change-over policy.

LivignoSnow.com
We will organise all aspects of the event for you (apart from flights which are bookable independently). We have a strong background in event and project management and an excellent working relationship with the Mottolino ski area where the event will take place. We have selected the Mottolino ski area due to the logistics of organsing an event of this scale. The ski area is based 150m from the center of town where all the bars, restaurants, live music venues and tax-free shops are located and the actual ski area can accommodate slalom, freestyle and speed competitions and is experienced in doing so.

At the base of the mountain is an excellent equipment hire center, a ski school, a snowboard school, heated lockers for equipment, an apres-ski bar and the beginner slopes. The gondola leads to the rest of the ski area, Europe's largest snowpark and two excellent restaurants both of which can house large numbers of people. We have the full co-operation of the mountain owner and are in constant communication concerning the organisation of this event.

All aspects of this holiday are based at local prices and we cannot add or reduce any of the costings. All questions, enquiries and bookings should be addressed to Nikki McLeary on info@livignosnow.com who will be based in-resort and in contact with you both before and during the event to ensure your trip runs smoothly.

FLIGHTS
Flights are bookable independently with any airline. Arrival airports are Milan Bergamo or Milan Malpensa. People do not have to arrive or leave at any particular time but a transfer bus will be provided at two times on Saturday 08 March 2008 from both Milan Bergamo and Milan Malpensa and at two times on Saturday 15 March 2008 from Livigno. Please read 'Transfer' below carefully prior to booking any flights. Please do not book any flights until your accommodation and transfer is confirmed.
FLIGHT COST: STARTING FROM 160 EUROS RETURN PER PERSON

TRANSFER
From Milan Bergamo there will be a transfer bus on Saturday 08 March 2008 that departs Milan Bergamo at 1130 and again at 2130. From Milan Malpensa there will be a transfer bus that departs Milan Malpensa at 1100 and again at 2130.

Private mini-buses are also available at any time of the day upon request and will be equally as cost effective if you are traveling in a group.

From Livigno there will be a transfer bus provided at two times on Saturday 15 March 2008 that departs Livigno at 0400 and again at 1600 traveling to both Milan Bergamo (arriving 0800 and 2000) and Milan Malpensa (arriving 0830 and 2000).

If you would like a place on the transfer bus please book your flight times accordingly - it is your responsibility to arrive on time! Transfers are booked by LivignoSnow.com and you will be taken directly to your accommodation.
TRANSFER COST: STARTING FROM 60 EUROS RETURN PER PERSON

ACCOMODATION
Accommodation choice is entirely flexible to suit your preferences and we are happy to organise apartments or hotels to suit your requirements. However we have costed for the minimum amount for 7 nights accommodation in a 3 star bed and breakfast hotel. Accommodation will be booked by LivignoSnow.com
ACCOMODATION COST: STARTING FROM 280 EUROS FOR 7 NIGHTS B&B HOTEL PER PERSON

SKI PASS 
A 6 day ski pass starting on Sunday 09 March 2008 is 170.50 euros per adult over 13 years of age, 118.00 euros per child under 13 years of age (the same price applies to adults born in or before 1948) while under 8 years of age are free. Each person regardless of age must also pay a 5 euro deposit for the electronic ski pass facility which is refundable at the end of their holiday when they hand their lift pass back to any lift pass office. This ski pass covers all the ski areas in Livigno and offers free access to the snowpark. Family ski passes are also available upon request. Lift passes will be booked and delivered to your accommodation by LivignoSnow.com

EQUIPMENT HIRE
There is an excellent equipment hire center based at the foot of Mottolino mountain. Alternatively there are several excellent equipment hire centers from 150m away in the centre of town and also in the San Rocco area. Equipment hire is provisionally booked by LivignoSnow.com and you will be shown exactly where your equipment hire center is located dependent upon your accommodation. 
EQUIPMENT COST: STARTING FROM 88 EUROS FOR 6 DAYS SNOWBOARD AND BOOT HIRE OR 68 EUROS FOR SKIS, BOOTS AND POLE HIRE. Child hire (dependent on size not age) and part hire (e.g. snowboard only) is at a reduced rate. Please discuss your exact requirements with LivignoSnow.com

SKI & SNOWBOARD CLINICS
A 6 day ski clinic is 123 euros (1000 until 1230 daily) and a 6 day snowboard clinic is 133 euros (0930 until 1200 daily) all starting Sunday 09 March 2008. All abilites from complete beginners to advanced freestyle is catered for. Clinics will be the obvious choice for the event to keep people together, improve on their skills for the competition at the end of the week and also to offer every level the chance to participate - groups will be created according to ability and will be a maximum of 8 people per clinic. Both the ski school (Top Club) and the snowboard school (Burton Madness) are excellent. Afternoons will be free time. Clinics are not complusory but are recommended if you would like to improve your style or speed during your holiday. Friday is competition and charity day.

COMPETITION
Although the main purpose of the event is to bring Irish skiers and snowboarders together to have fun we would also like to set a precedent for further Championships and therefore will be running a range of competitions on Friday 14 March 2007. Information on the structure of these competitions and prizes will be released at a later date. 
EVENT COST: 50 EUROS PER PERSON ENTRANCE FEE

CHARITY EVENT
In addition to competitions we will also run a charity event on Friday 14 March 2008 for those who would still like a challenge! Personal sponsorship will be gained by each individual prior to arrival in Livigno and will be based on the number of kilometres they can ski in one day. The charity allocated to benefit from this event will be released shortly. The event will take place from 0900 - 1730 but you can ski or board as much or as little of the day as you would like to - it depends on how much you would like to raise! LivignoSnow.com will work with the ski pass office to monitor the distance coverage by each individual using an electronic lift pass system. All monies raised by an individual will be paid directly to the charity and not handled at any point by IrishSnowboarder.com or LivignoSnow.com 
EVENT COST: FREE

APRES-SKI
There will be a full apres-ski package to accompany the event for anyone who would like to participate. All food evenings include a vegetarian alternative. A different venue has been chosen daily so you can get the most out of the resort:
*SUNDAY NIGHT 
PIZZA AND WINE WELCOME AND PUB CRAWL TO LIVIGNO'S BEST BARS AND LIVE MUSIC VENUES (COMPLIMENTARY DRINK IN EVERY BAR)

* MONDAY NIGHT 
500CC SNOWMOBILE AROUND RACE TRACK FOLLOWED BY TRADITIONAL DINNER (4 COURSES) WITH WINE

* TUESDAY AFTERNOON 
APRES-SKI PARTY AT MOTTOLINO WITH COMPLIMENTARY DRINK

* WEDNESDAY NIGHT 
SNOWBOARD MOVIE EVENING AT KHUSTALL LIVE MUSIC/D.J BAR

* THURSDAY NIGHT 
TRADITIONAL STEAK FONDUE (3 COURSES) WITH 1/4 LITRE WINE PER PERSON

* FRIDAY NIGHT 
RACE PRESENTATION AND FAREWELL BASH 
TOTAL COST:100 EUROS PER PERSON

CONTACT

If you have any further questions, would like to make an enquiry or book a place on this event please contact Nikki McLeary on info@livignosnow.com - We look forward to meeting you in Livigno!

(Thanks again, Aidan)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

If you're an NUIG student, then I'm about 90% certain that the boarding soc's trip this year is going to this. So you can get all the info you need from them.

V nice post btw Static.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭jimdev

I know UCD and TCD are both bringing big groups over. I've heard rumours of over 100 people going to this week so it sounds like it's gonna be class. I am completely peeved that I amn't going cus I'll be in Canada all that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mr Ed

That sounds class - are ye organsiing a group from boards as i'm if thats the case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

@ Mr Ed. If we get enough interest I would get a group going over, I have 2-3 friends already interested so the more we can get the better.

The more I read about it the better it sounds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 CyberUnch

I see there is there is a new website launched for this event.

Check it out if your interested in going www.livigno2008.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭paulharte

I'm going, its gonna be amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭RearNakedJim

I went to this and was shocked at the admin mess up in the snowboarding freestyle competition. It wouldn't be allowed in any other sport. Shocking!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

you can't just say that and not elaborate.... Fill us in!?!?!

2 guys registered in the advanced division, they where in there against a few other guys and a semi-pro as far as i know. When the medals where handed out they where given first and second in the rookie division, and the semi pro won the advanced. which doesnt sound like the worst mistake, except when it came to light that their scores where better than the semi-pro's score. Now im new to snowboarding, but i do help run major grappling competitions in this country and am shocked to see this happen. To an outsider it looks like these 2 guys beat the pro and the organisers tried to cover this fact by giving the lower medals, there by ensuring he keeps his sponsorship and screwing them out of potential sponsor ship.

In regards the sport side of things, i know i would prefer if i put on a comp and 2 guys placed higher than what we consider the best grappler in ireland to be i would be delighted as over night you could go from having 1 world class competitor to having 3. But maybe these admins dont want to help the sport in ireland. Shocking none the less.

Yes, I read that their was some issues around the medals and awarding of prizes.

I would just like to point out one thing though. Taken from the Irish Snowboard Site. (Posted By Biscan)
    As regards the bibs, we did not get any sponsorship for the event. And when i say ''any'' i mean nothing. We approached all the major business's associated with outdoor pursuits. None of which so much as gave us a T-shirt for the event. So because of this bibs, medals, trophy's etc came out of Aidens pocket. He was well aware of the costs associated with people trying to get to Livigno and he was trying to keep the comp. Reg as cost effective as possible.

In all fairness, I think the guy(s) did an amazing job and fair play to him to organising it, it can't have been easy. For an event in which he PAID for the "bibs, medals, trophy's etc" himself I would cut the guy a lot of slack.

Bottom line it was the first of its kind for Ireland and a lot of lesson's can be learned from it, but I honestly feel we should be applauding the efforts made and the work that went into it.

• Advertisement

In all fairness, I think the guy(s) did an amazing job and fair play to him to organising it, it can't have been easy. For an event in which he PAID for the "bibs, medals, trophy's etc" himself I would cut the guy a lot of slack.

Bottom line it was the first of its kind for Ireland and a lot of lesson's can be learned from it, but I honestly feel we should be applauding the efforts made and the work that went into it.

Dont get me wrong, as i said i know what goes into organising national comps. However if your going to do it, you should surely want the best rider on the day to get the top prize. It looks to an outsider like me that the admins screwed 2 amateur riders out of winning and possibly going professional because it would have damaged the only pro we have. As i said shocking.

Yeah, I know what you mean, I don't understand what happened either... who ever got the top points "should" have got the top prize that just makes sense..

I would love to see some Videos of the competition if anyone has any! How good were the Top 3 people?! what tricks won it for them?

I really wanted to make the trip but my ankle injury from Feb. stopped me! I was a child sulking all week, sitting at home feeling sorry for myself! (Thats probably half true.. ;) )

How was the rest of the trip RearNakedJim? I'm dying to hear stories?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭jimdev

To an outsider it looks like these 2 guys beat the pro and the organisers tried to cover this fact by giving the lower medals, there by ensuring he keeps his sponsorship and screwing them out of potential sponsor ship.

As best I understand it (I wasn't there but know lots of the people involved in both competing and the guy organising it), it seems to have been an honest mistake and there was certainly no question of anyone getting or loosing sponsorship as a result of winning or loosing this event, the event itself couldn't even find a sponsor, so there was no attention of that sort from outside.

I only hope the two guys who rode so well in the comp still had a good time despite that unfortunate mistake.

Going to remove the sticky from this as the event is now well and truly over.

Hopefully next year we will have a new event to Sticky again!

Advertisement