Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perlico Broadband Setup, Help??

Options
  • 21-12-2007 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine just got Perlico broadband instead of BT. He got a letter with a username and password on it and the assumption he'll be using his existing router.

What settings do I need to set it up for him? (Dunno whether Perlico broadband is recommended or not but what's done is done, for now).

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Settings are straight forward enough
    USER: one they gave you
    PASS: one they gave you
    MULTIPLEXING METHOD: LLC-BASED
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35
    IP ADDRESS: Automatic
    DNS: Automatic
    ENCAP: PPPoA

That should do you with whatever router you have,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

His username and password need to be entered into his existing modem. Assumimg his previous providor was Eircom or a reseller, all the other settings can be left as-is. DNS and IP address are picked up automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭MickyJoe

Encapulation is actually PPPoE (some Belkin equipment though seems to need to have this setting to PPPoA to work).

If you mentioned what equipment you are trying to configure you might be able to get more specific replies.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

MickyJoe wrote: »
    Encapulation is actually PPPoE (some Belkin equipment though seems to need to have this setting to PPPoA to work).

If you mentioned what equipment you are trying to configure you might be able to get more specific replies.

Netgear routers works with PPPoA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 opinion8d

Hi,

This might be a stupid question - but not being very PC technical - how the he!! do you actually set the DNS to automatic?
    I have Perlico 3mb but am still using my original eircom router - the Netopia 2247-02. I got some DNS settings off this site before - and they seemed to work but now some websites will not load up - I know this has been discussed on other threads and I apologise for jumping in on this one but on all the other threads they start off with "what should the settings be" but quickly move to "Perlico are cr@p" "better off getting a more expensive provider" and so-on. No-one actually gave settings - unlike this thread - which gave them all - but I'm unable to select automatic DNS?

Any help is much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 nusername

how the he!! do you actually set the DNS to automatic?
    Don't specify any on the router & have a look in the IP settings for your router, you will find these if you right click your modem connection in "Network Connections", select properties & then double-clicking Internet Protocol [tcp/ip], the option is in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Well you missed all the posts that said DNS isn't the issue!!

You can have DNS set to OpenDNS, Level3 (4.2.2.2) or Perlico's own, which is the automatic setting. (If the DNS setting doesn't give you an "automatic" option, type in 0.0.0.0)

You still won't be able to acces most of the internet, unless you're lucky. Some people are able to access the internet after the modem restarts, other people aren't.

This is off topic anyway, have a look at the perlico speed issue thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

PPPoA, Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) over ATM. Most of eircom is ATM as that is the legacy aggregation backhaul/Backbone for ISDN, X.25 and X.400. So you would expect it to be PPPoA

So called NGN or BT 21C is simply IP based backhaul/backbone. (Smart, Magnet, Digiweb and UPC maybe entirely NGN on their own networks, i.e. solely IP based).

It may also depend on DSLAM and actual backhaul used. eircom is changing to an IP open architecture (aka NGN).

PPPoE is PPP over Ethernet. More common in Ireland on certain Wireless Networks. Not likely to be used on DSL in Ireland. At least not today. Ethernet is slight misnomer as it's IP rather than the sort of physical ethernet in a home or Office.

[UPDATE]
    Eircom retail support and Bitstream Reseller support claim it's PPPoE

Some Modems will auto-negotiate anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Watty, the eircom broadband support website lists the PPP settings for eircom broadband (and its resellers I assume) as being PPPoE, LLC based. I've heard of some modems working better with PPPoA, but eircom published those settings for a reason I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Do what ever eircom say, at the end of the day it's whatever way their DSLAMs and routers in the exchanges are setup.
    I have lost the email with my PPPoE Username and Password
    Bitstream is PPPoE

My original post edited.

• Advertisement
Advertisement