Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW, spare key started car alarm

Options
  • 21-12-2007 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Yesterday I opened my car door using the spare key I have. When I unlocked the car (and it did unlock) the alarm went off immediately. This key does not have any remote locking buttons on it. Does anybody know if I need to get this key chipped to work with the car?

Thanks

Comments

I'm curious about this too. My second key behaves in the same way.

If I lock the car and activate the alarm with remote central locking the spare key doesn't disable the alarm until you put it in the ignition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

If you do this in my Volvo S40 which has a factory fitted alarm as standard, the alarm goes off when you don't use the remote locking system but you can still drive the car. It stops once you put your key in and try to start it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Key may need to be coded to the car. Mr Diagnostic should be able to confirm this, and whether or not it would be a dealer job.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

This is the case with all E46's (Could be other models too)

You lock your car with the RCL... doors lock and alarm activates

You lock your car with the key... doors lock and alarm activates

You open your car with the RCL... doors unlock and alarm de-activates

You open your car with the key... alarm goes off until you stick it in the ignition.

If you want to lock your car with the RCL and do *NOT* want the interior sensors to activate (ie. say if you have a dog or the GF and want to leave them there :D), when you press the lock button with the RCL, release it and quickly press it again. I'm not too sure if this doesn't activate the alarm or just the interior sensor

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

The alarm will do that until you put the key in the ignition...

locking with the key will turn on the alarm , but not the motion sensor....this means there will not be an intimidate alarm if you unlock with the key and get in....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭babel

thanks for the replies! It is an E46 alright. I will try out your suggestions. Thanks

Advertisement