Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2000 Volvo S40 Problem

Options
  • 21-12-2007 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

Bit of a problem. I have noticed that when driving my car a warning light periodically flashes up on the dash. The light is (!) with a red glow. I was told a while back that it was the brake warning light?

When I first say this light appear a few months ago now I immediately brought it to a garage where they said they could find nothing wrong with the brakes.

Since then it has gotten worse. In a 3 mile journey I could expect it to come on about 20 times. It even comes on when I am driving in a straight line, with no steering, no braking, doing a constant speed.

Anybody any ideas or experience something similar?

Cheers,

Joker.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

It is the brake pad wear sensor. The pads themselves could be fine t may just be that the sensor has broken. I would still have a look at the pads thought to be sure. The light comes on when the sensor comes into contact with an earth. The brak disc is normally the earth. So when your pads wear down the sensor presses against the disc.
    If yuo change your pads before the sensor light comes on you avoid the necessity to replace the sensor itself, they usualy cost between €10-€20.

There is normally only a sensor on one side of the car, but there will also be one for the rear brakes too, don't forget that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

As rebel.ranter said it is to do with brake pads. The brake system warning light comes on intermittently when the brake pads need replacing. If the brake pads are completely gone you will get a metallic screech when you stop the car. This happens deliberately to tell you to get them done. If it stays on permanently you could be looking at a much more serious problem, the brake fluid is too low or the brakes themselves have failed, and you are now onto the car's reserve braking system, but almost certainly its just brake pads.

My mum had my S40 before I got it and it had the exact same symptoms as the ones you're describing a few years ago and it was the brake pads that were gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭TheJoker

Ok, cheers for that lads!

Advertisement