Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are the Houses for Affordable Housing?

Options
  • 21-12-2007 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey, I know the whole affordable housing can of worms has been popped before but trying to get a good response from anyone at Fingal coco is like ringing Wongs Chinese and asking them how much a taxi is to town. Myself and my wife are living in donabate and we really love it around there.

Problem is the prices have rocketed so much we have given up on the hope of winning the Irish lotto and are now 100% focusing our dreams on winning the euormillions. (someone has to win it, ye right, wont be me,i'll bet on that...)

My question.. has anyone heard of anyone that ended up in affordable housing in House in swords, donabate, lusk area. Everyone i know that have been awarded places through the affordable housing scheme are living in apartments or duplex's..

Would love feedback on this as we feel the only option is to up root my kids and move out of dublin in search of a place we can call home...

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The problem is more that most (but not all) of the development in the Dublin area over the past few years has been high density units- such as apartments/duplexes. Of the few housing estates (such as Adamstown) the lack of amenities provided are so startling as to be an immediate turn-off for most people. Even the headlined amenities- such as Adamstown's now infamous "Educate together" school face closure through lack of funds- and its rail station is an ongoing joke over the utter lack of capacity available. Ashtown and some of the estates in Clonsilla have included numbers of affordable houses- however given that over half the population qualifies for affordable housing- you can imagine that it really is a lottery in every sense of the word. In some cases, recorded on this forum, people earning double the average industrial wage (67k) actually qualified for affordable housing. I don't begrudge them, or anyone else, an affordable house- but the situation is so unsustainable that it would be funny, if it weren't so serious.

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

To sum up, affordable housing does not suit long term needs unless they start building family friendly apts in areas where people want to live and not where they do not want to(moving city dubs to back end of balbriggan for example)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭traceybere

have a look around this site - its links to all the COCO - this is how i got mine

http://www.affordablehome.ie/home/index.aspx?id=3

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

smccarrick wrote: »
    In some cases, recorded on this forum, people earning double the average industrial wage (67k) actually qualified for affordable housing.

Would it not be the other way around, that even though they are "affordable" houses, you would still need to be earning about 67k or more to actually afford one? Most people with good jobs are still too poor to afford even an affordable home.

Would it not be the other way around, that even though they are "affordable" houses, you would still need to be earning about 67k or more to actually afford one? Most people with good jobs are still too poor to afford even an affordable home.

I'd have to agree 100% with you. And those houses that were going for 520k on the affordable scheme in Clonsilla- meh, I'm not into cat swinging, but I'd certainly be out of practice there.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Mumoftwo

We have recently applied for Affordable Housing and have been led to believe there will be a draw next month in Feb. Does anyone know if they have ever made HOUSES available in Dublin 7 Dublin 9 area? Or are there houses available?? Most of what I've read about is apartments, and that doesn't suit our family needs.
    :confused:

Well- Dublin 7 is the Cabra area and Dublin 9 is around Drumcondra. While I know of a couple of large Apartment developments in both areas- I am not aware of any new housing estates...... Perhaps someone here might have further info for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

The only houses that have been available at all in the past couple years have been out in the St Margaret's Road area. You're not going to get an affordable house in D7 or D9.

There are new DCC rules under which apartments are now supposed to be built to family-friendly specifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

As far as i know,the royal oak pub has been knocked down to make way for affordable housing in D11 think its only apartments.Its not a big size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

texas star wrote: »
    As far as i know,the royal oak pub has been knocked down to make way for affordable housing in D11 think its only apartments.Its not a big size.

While it has been knocked for an apartment development, it's not entirely for the affordable housing scheme, only the minimum requirement is....5% or about that I think.

They should call it the affordable apartment scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

Yes you are right shelli think I read about it in the Northside newspaper.I know 2 people who got an 2 bedroom apartment in Prospect Hill on the main Finglas Road great location.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Anyone know of availability in Maynooth?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

When is the next draw lads, only filling out the form now myself!

Advertisement