Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortal Kombat kills a 7 year old, apparently...

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

A 16 & 17 year old could potentially be sentanced to 48 years? :eek:
    And be charged as adults?

I'm sure they deserve it but the Americans don't mess around with sentancing.
    Sure a life sentance in Ireland averages 15 years afaik (open to correction)

Edit: Average is 12 years http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_imprisonment#Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

That guy is 17?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

2nd story points to more bad parenting - the gran had seen bruises as a result of one of the kids but yet they were still trusted with the child...

Depraved children - sure most people have play fought but with someone their own age and not in a vicious manner; why did they think it would be a good idea to crack an egg in her mouth...The mind boggles sometimes.....

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

This is bullsh!t. The "moves" they were copying are irrelevent, can people not see that the actions are those of ****ed up individuals and absolutely nothing to do with video games? I hate the way any excuse is used to build up this "video games are bad" story. It frustrates me how blind and brain-dead people can be about this issue. The issue is nothing to do with games and movies, it's to do with responsibility.

EDIT: Someone made the point about guns which is good. In america there are top people like Hillary Clinton who have advocated a ban on violent videogames but yet think it's ok to have guns available to all adults? Hmmmm....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Second article suggests they were not even playing the video-game.

We've all played IRA, Bulldogs-charge, "Wrestling" and indeed MK from younger ages but we knew what was too much. There was something wrong with these two, be it the way they were raised, the alcohol in their systems or mental issues.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

That's awful tbh, it looks like there was long term abuse:(

By the way, i don't see where that article ''blames'' videogames. They said themselves they were playing ''mortal kombat''. If that's what they said then the journalists is fully entitled to reference it. There's really no other mention of the game other than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

mk2babalityhj5.png

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

gizmo wrote: »
    mk2babalityhj5.png

?

I should not of laughed but it was hilarious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

now for more fuel to the fire of sadistic people blaming video games

http://kotaku.com/337047/chinese-kid-becomes-fire-mage-sets-fire-to-classmate

Ai you - to add to the ever growing collection of bizarre stories from the Chinese gaming world comes news that a 17 year old high school student has been sentenced for setting a classmate on fire. What does this have to do with gaming, you ask? Because the kid 'thought' he was a WoW fire mage. Now, in China, the 'but the video game made me do it!' defense doesn't work so well (the kid was sentenced to 8 years in prison, his accomplice - who lured the victim outside with the old line about wanting to chat for a bit - was sentenced to 7, and both boys and their families were ordered to pay a 760,000 RMB restitution - over $100K USD - to the victim and his family), so there's nothing to gain - nor a lawsuit to pursue - by pointing the finger at Blizzard, The9, or Warcraft. From billsdue:

It is a very sad story. Both the victim and perpetrator are not from affluent families, are not particularly well-educated, and didn't appear to have great prospects in Chinese society. World of Warcraft, operated by The9 (Nasdaq:NCTY) in China, and other MMOs are a great escape, as is obvious from the tens of millions of Chinese playing in these virtual worlds.

Good thing for Blizzard and The9 that China's legal system is still developing. If this happened in the US no doubt the victim's family would hire an ambulance chasing lawyer to sue Blizzard for millions, claiming that somehow Blizzard, rather than the parents, was negligent.

According to an article in the Beijing News [新京報], the 'fire mage' purchased gasoline 5 days prior to the event, which sort of takes the edge off that 'spur of the moment' idea. Furthermore, the interview a Beijing News reporter had with the 'fire mage' was downright disturbing in parts - nothing like sound bites like "[the feeling of watching fire and people burning] is very addictive, very happy!" to make someone come off as perfectly sane. And all this over a schoolyard fight between 17 year olds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Jackabo

Jezus,lucky they wernt playing Manhunt

• Advertisement
Advertisement