Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Broadband : What subnet are we on?

Options
  • 21-12-2007 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Not sure if this question is appropriate here. How do I tell what subnet my public IP address is on? If all Smart Customers are on the same subnet, can anyone tell me what it is?

I'd really not ring support as I feel this is the sort of question I wont' get answered today.

Reason : I'm trying to setup a vpn connection from my Nokia E65 to our corporate VPN server. It's a VERY convoluted process as it has to be hacked and tweaked to thi9nk it's connecting to a Nokia VPN gateway or Cisco device.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It doesn't matter.

My VPN server (as yours should) is on a private subnet behind my firewall.
    I get that IP range when I connect from the Internet (or on a different LAN with a firewall).

If you are on 3 on the E65 you might have a slight problem.
    If you use the E65 on a LAN with a firewall, then may or may not have some configuration issues.

But the Public address range doesn't matter. I give my VPN client the Public IP of my firewall and then when connected the device has the private LAN IP address and can access the devices (inc printer) on my LAN.

If you are using Internet at same time, ensure the VPN client connection is not providing the default gateway (unless for some strange reason you want to use 4x the bandwidth & Latency to access Internet sites, as Internet access would be via the remote site's Internet connection)

Advertisement