Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacing Vista with XP...question

• 21-12-2007 4:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭

I've tried this before. Vista is just taking the biscuit now so I want rid of it.

I have a copy of XP. Before, I tried reformatting the partition I have Vista on and putting XP on it. But that did not work.

Would it be possible for me to install XP on the other partition, then if it installs correctly, reformat the Vista one successfully?

How would I go about doing same.....just select in install the other partition?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Yes, during boot you will be asked where you want to install it, so select the other partition. Formatting the Vista partition then you just do in windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭RobbieMc

this has been asked and answered many times here.
    First things first, Have you the drivers you need for your hardware to work in XP?
    without a boor loader to manager the two partitions, forget about trying to have them both on the one drive, make the move and dump Vista.
    Boot from the XP cd and re-partition the hard drive, this will remove all traces of Vista. Then configure your drive( what ever way you want. One partition or two) and start the installation process.
    All should be fine. Install drivers as you go.

Any help?

Rob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

lol the problem is I have XP drivers but they are scarce for Vista! Hence the desire to switch back...

Before I tried re-formatting completely when booting from disk, but did not work at all.

Sick of getting stupid errors and whatnot with Vista.....I've had enough!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

While you're at it , cut down XP a bit : http://www.nliteos.com/ .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Why is XP failing to install? You should be able to blank the entire drive and repartition it from the windows XP installer. But you won't even get this far if you need a 3rd party raid or scsi driver. Xp installer will probably give you the message "No hard disk detected" or somethign like that. But there are plenty of ways around that, just google it.

Could also be that your XP disk is feckered. Happened to one of mine recently (it wasn't skipping or anything, but i'd get the BSOD while trying to install it) so I dumped it and got another. So try a new disk :)

• Advertisement

Good point.

No idea why- The first portion would install, then it would restart but would not boot back into setup, no matter what way I set the boot order

• Registered Users Posts: 8 blackaardvark

For a start you need a boot loader, GRUB or LILO work fine. Then you also need to backup anything you can't afford to lose. Beyond that you may aswell just format the entire thing and start from scratch. Or, and this is pretty out there, you could dual boot with ubuntu.

Must not be writing the master boot record then... odd. Oh and blackaardvark.... eh... what? Did you read his post even?

Right, tried the install there on three different partitions but to no avail.

Even tried disconnecting one hard drive and installing it on the hardrive with no OS on it.

Desperately in need of help.....any suggestions?

Yes, try booting off a DOS disk, windows 98 cd will do. then run: fdisk /mbr
    That will re-write the master boot record. Then delete all partitions during the install (assuming you have stuff backed up) and install from scratch.

There are more commercial utilities out there that will blank a hard disk (low level format). Takes hours though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭TheThreeDegrees

Hard Drive is knackered.

Hard Drive is knackered.

I should hope not! Both brand new!!

In the end it just would not boot into XP setup yet again. Tried recovery console and fixing the bootorder, but nothing. Vista is back on it now yet again :mad::mad::mad::mad:

very odd... look for a hard disk utility from your manufacturer... most of them have one that will write zeros to every sector of the drive.... low level format.. nothing will remain of vista or the partitions etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

First off is the machine a latop? Pretty much every machine that i wanted to change vista for in work wouldnt let me get past the part where setup is copying files off the disk to the new partition. This happened on about 20 laptops and 5-10 machines that i got in in about a month.

Most laptops come with a hidden partiton these days to which a vista image is installed, and even tho you delete the 2/3 partitions on the drive and go to install XP it still refuses to go past the setup copying files part.

I found that this problem was fixed by using a slipstreamed sp2 xp cd. I called up HP/dell who ever and told them the problem and they went on moaning that its not their product and that they dont send out cds and all that crap. Insist they send you out a CD and make up some tripe that insures you get a sp2 cd.

XP will install then, i dont have a doubt in my mind.

Another thing to do is set all your boot devices to CD rom device(what ever) and the boot order will loop untill it reads off the CD. a guaranteed boot!

red_ice wrote: »
    Another thing to do is set all your boot devices to CD rom device(what ever) and the boot order will loop untill it reads off the CD. a guaranteed boot!

All good advice except this part. He does not need to boot off the cd as he has done that part, his problem is the second part of the install where the gui actually loads and sits there for 45 mins installing devices etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭TheThreeDegrees

Sounds like M$ are up to their dirty tricks again.

Its not a laptop.

My own build, so there are no hidden partitions with Vista images. If I let it boot back into CD the setup just starts all over again.......

I was considering getting another hardrive solely for OS, disconnecting other two and installing XP onto that.......

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭pdebarra

If everything is going nuts like that, then that might well be your best option, Neon.

<snip>

i've done this many a time on a stubborn system. And you are doing it legally before anyone gives out. You dont pay for the cd, you pay for the key, use a legit key and its ok. Otherwise ms wouldnt let you download their software off of their site

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

red_ice wrote: »
    <snip>

i've done this many a time on a stubborn system. And you are doing it legally before anyone gives out. You dont pay for the cd, you pay for the key, use a legit key and its ok. Otherwise ms wouldnt let you download their software off of their site
    Microsoft don't let you download XP from their site.
    You pay for the license , you pay again for the media.

Have a read of the charter and the microsoft EULA please.

• Advertisement

thats weird, i was at an ms presentation there last month and they gave everyone a link to download vista home premium! after 30 days you need to use the key that you purchase by calling them up.

I am aware of the charter rules (they are all usually the same) and tbh from what i understood of the situation was that my advice wasnt going against them.. Obviously i can see why it is now if your sure about why you edited my post :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The OP already has Vista, it's XP media that's being looked for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Are all the drives SATA

More than likely you need the sata drivers they are not on the XP disk

Go to the motherboard makers website download sata drivers and then stick them on a floppy when installing xp hit f6 for other drivers direct it to the floppy and then things should continue as normal.

Advertisement