Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to advertise via text message with buyandsell

Options
  • 21-12-2007 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    I'm trying to place an ad via text message on buyandsell (Munster edition).

It says to text "Mun ad" (without quotes) followed by a space and your ad to 53033 which I have done.
    But I keep on getting a text message back saying:
    Invalid Keyword.
    Check spelling.
    Check Shortnumber.
    Check msg length 160 chars max
    SP zamano

From this, it seems like it's not going through.
    I'm charged something like 60c every fcuking time as well!

I've tried ringing the 0818 number but my mobile won't connect to 0818 numbers.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭ringleader

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
    It's not working for me either.

I just rang (pain in the ass to even get someone on the phone from them), but since it's Christmas Eve there's no hope of getting this resolved before the start of January.

You could either ring our Call Centre to place an ad (it's 0818 43 43 43 though), or register on buyandsell.ie to place an ad that way.

I'll see about getting this fixed when everyone's back there in January.
    Bloody contact number of theirs doesn't even accept Meteor numbers (only 086/087 for some unknown awkward reason).

Until then, just bear with it.
    If you text SELL and your ad to 53033 that will put your ad in the national issue, at least. I tried that myself only a week or so ago, so it definitely works.

Sorry about all this inconvenience, btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

ringleader wrote: »
    Thanks for bringing this to our attention. It's not working for me either. I just rang (pain in the ass to even get someone on the phone from them), but since it's Christmas Eve there's no hope of getting this resolved before the start of January. You could either ring our Call Centre to place an ad (it's 0818 43 43 43 though), or register on buyandsell.ie to place an ad that way. I'll see about getting this fixed when everyone's back there in January. Bloody contact number of theirs doesn't even accept Meteor numbers (only 086/087 for some unknown awkward reason). Until then, just bear with it. If you text SELL and your ad to 53033 that will put your ad in the national issue, at least. I tried that myself only a week or so ago, so it definitely works. Sorry about all this inconvenience, btw.

Thanks.
    A bit confused as to whether you work for buyandsell tbh when you say "us" and "them"

Anyway i've rung the 0818 number, nobody there of course so just left a message.
    Registered on the buyandsell website as well and placed the ad. Still being processed at the moment of course.

Incidentally I was charged 1.20 everytime I tried to text in (not sure why it's 1.20 anyway and not the 60c advertised)- Anyway I was robbed of about 6 quid in all doing this so if you do work for buyandsell you might be able to sort out a refund for me maybe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I'm guessing when he says 'us' he means buy and sell, and when he says 'them' he means zamano, who run their text message system.

Could you be sending a 2-part text message? If their system isn't set up properly it'll treat the 2 parts as separate messages, charge you for two, put the first one into the magazine, and send you an error message about the 2nd part not being valid.

tech77 wrote: »
    Thanks.
    A bit confused as to whether you work for buyandsell tbh when you say "us" and "them"

Oh sorry about that.
    "Us" is Buyandsell, and "Them" is Zamano, the txt provider.
    Gets a bit confusing for me as well since I use this account as my personal one on here ;)
    Anyway i've rung the 0818 number, nobody there of course so just left a message. Registered on the buyandsell website as well and placed the ad. Still being processed at the moment of course.

That'd be me as well then who hasn't proofread your ad yet ;)
    There's only limited cover over the Christmas season.
    You'll be pleased to note I'm getting through them right now.
    Incidentally I was charged 1.20 everytime I tried to text in (not sure why it's 1.20 anyway and not the 60c advertised)- Anyway I was robbed of about 6 quid in all doing this so if you do work for buyandsell you might be able to sort out a refund for me maybe :)

Good point. I'll see what I can do.
    It may take some time, of course, since the exact problem has to be traced down and things confirmed and all that jazz.
    Just bear with me.
    Incidentally, I'll probably contact you via PM here since it's the only point of contact we've had.
    Igy wrote: »
    I'm guessing when he says 'us' he means buy and sell, and when he says 'them' he means zamano, who run their text message system.

Bingo was his name-o. Thanks for the input :)

Igy wrote: »

Could you be sending a 2-part text message? If their system isn't set up properly it'll treat the 2 parts as separate messages, charge you for two, put the first one into the magazine, and send you an error message about the 2nd part not being valid.

No it's definitely just a 1-part text message i'm sending.
    I count the characters and make sure they're under the required amount as well (I even shortened a good bit as well).

• Advertisement

That'd be me as well then who hasn't proofread your ad yet ;)
    There's only limited cover over the Christmas season.
    You'll be pleased to note I'm getting through them right now.

Alright fair enough, thanks.
    Actually after i placed the ad online it has gone into Tuesday's edition.
    Good point. I'll see what I can do.
    It may take some time, of course, since the exact problem has to be traced down and things confirmed and all that jazz.
    Just bear with me.
    Incidentally, I'll probably contact you via PM here since it's the only point of contact we've had.

Thanks.
    I'd appreciate if you could do that and let me know where the problem lies and when things are back to normal.

So just to recap:
    If you text SELL (all capitals?) and the ad you can DEFINITELY place a national ad?
    The Zamano number is useless until the new year atleast?
    If i ring the 0818 434343 number tomorrow i'll get through to someone who can tell me more?
    Does that sound right?
    Cheers.

So just to recap:
    If you text SELL (all capitals?) and the ad you can DEFINITELY place a national ad?

That definitely works. I just tried it.
    It will message you back asking for your landline number, but don't reply if we already have it.
    The Zamano number is useless until the new year atleast?
    If i ring the 0818 434343 number tomorrow i'll get through to someone who can tell me more?
    Does that sound right?
    Cheers.

The zamano number is for their customer service.
    Afaik, they're live most days except bank holidays.

You could ring them and ask for a refund to be sent to you, actually.
    That would get the ball rolling on getting the text service back up.
    If you want, of course.

The 0818 43 43 43 is BuyandSell service in Donnybrook for placing ads.
    They should be in on weekdays. Everything except bank holidays.
    Print doesn't stop over Christmas, and ads still need to be taken ;)

Advertisement