Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best de-tarring product

Options
  • 21-12-2007 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    Just bought Halford's de-tarring stuff to remove tar from the paintwork and it is ABSOLUTELY USELESS.
    Anyone recommend any good de-tarring products.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've used Holts in the past but it is ESSENTIAL not to get it on plastic trim. It leaches the colour out of plastic and is only suitable for use on paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Good old WD 40 works a treat !

On paint or plastic ...soak for a bit and then rub off with an old cloth

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've used both tar removal sprays and WD40 in the past with success, but one thing you have to do is to leave them on for a short while to soak in. Don't just spray them on and start wiping it off straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

OK cheers lads.
    Should be better than the stuff I have anyway.
    Where's the best place to get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

tech77 wrote: »
    OK cheers lads.
    Should be better than the stuff I have anyway.
    Where's the best place to get it.

You'll get WD40 in any hardware outlet.
    try and get it in the handy spray bottle reather than the can.

happy de-tarring!

rgds,

NIF

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

You'll get WD40 in any hardware outlet. try and get it in the handy spray bottle reather than the can. happy de-tarring! rgds, NIF

Thanks. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

the best thing is panel wipe or paint thinners., and it wont damage your paint.,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Don't forget to clean & wax afterwards to prevent the paint work being exposed .

panel wipe is the stuff thats used to clean paint work and bodywork before painting., it wont cause any problems., its great for cleaning white cars in particular, it brings them back to new.,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Where would one get some panel wipe?

• Advertisement

halfords should have it., or any motor factors., regular paint thinners/white spirits will do the same job.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anyone else use 95 RON from the lawnmower can?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

mike65 wrote: »

Mike.

Nope, find WD40 works fine! (or DT 5 or TT-Double if you're on a budget!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Mike.

MMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Autoglym's Intensive Tar Remover is the best option. Spread or spray it over the tar spots, but don't start wiping it straight away, just let the solution do it's job for a few minutes. The tar will start to dissolve and run down paint (brown streaks). Then go over the spots again with a microfibre cloth or pad and some of the tar remover, to wipe away the lot. All but the most stubborn tar will come off easy. Then wash the paint as normal with a shampoo to remove any leftover solvent.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

I've found Autoglym & Turtle Wax (only stuff in Halfords) didn't shift the more stubborn stuff.

Concept Tar & Glue is great stuff, tar on the paint & wheels will come off straight away with that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I find Autoglym's range is very hit and miss.

I might try Mer's tar remover- anything I've tried by them has been good. Their tyre cleaner, I find is the best by a long long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I like Auto Glym's air freshener, tyre dressing, tar and glue remover, and instant show shine. I don't use their polish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Yes the best and cheapest tar removal is petrol.

yes I can almost hear the cries of oh my god your paintwork.

I have been using petrol to remove tar for 20 years, I smoke while I do it too.
    the trick is to wet the cloth rub it over the panel and leave for about 30 seconds then work on the tar spots.

Nothing works like it. clean the car of with a good automotive (not washing up liquid) detergent then polish and seal.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

White spirit but you MUST wax afterwards.....fairly cheap too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Mike.

The quickest, the cheapest and the shed nearly always has it in stock.

Must try WD40 tho, since it's based on fish oil and not bad for me.

I wouldn't put petrol/oil/white spirits near my car personally.

There are enough products designed for the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

most of the products you buy for expensive money contain petroleum distillate or petrol or kerosene or paraffin the other stuff just makes it smell nice.
    Paraffin on its own is good too a bit slower and hard to get now. either way tar is a hydrocarbon and will only be dissolved by other hydrocarbons.

You can buy a cheap spirit or expensive stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Yep petrol!! is the one i'd go for, Petrol was replaced by panel wipe a few years back to degrease a primed repair before being painted, it does the exact same job. FACT!

-VB-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Seperate wrote: »
    I wouldn't put petrol/oil/white spirits near my car personally.

There are enough products designed for the job.

I know what you mean. But I've tried some off the shelf stuff and was baffled why they worked so poorly. Some of the comments here would seem to agree with my experience.

Volvoboy wrote: »
    Yep petrol!! is the one i'd go for, Petrol was replaced by panel wipe a few years back to degrease a primed repair before being painted, it does the exact same job. FACT!

-VB-

yep, petrol is very good aswell., just the smell of it that can get to you after a while., i still use it if we dont have any panel wipe handy.,

BostonB wrote: »
    I know what you mean. But I've tried some off the shelf stuff and was baffled why they worked so poorly. Some of the comments here would seem to agree with my experience.

To be fair, most of the 'off the shelf stuff' (in this country anyway) in the way of car care is poor. Waxes/polishes/towels etc. you buy here are either too expensive for what they are and/or poor at what they are supposed to do.

Autoglym/Meguiars products you buy on the shelf are not good products. When you go into their 'professional range' - thats when you start to get value for money and decent produtcs. Even then, there are better brands.

Same goes for this stuff. I'd imagine the reason why there isnt much 'intensive' tar remover on the shelf is because someone would inevitably do harm to themselves using it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

vtec wrote: »
    yep, petrol is very good aswell., just the smell of it that can get to you after a while.

Mmm that and matches smell great, just not together :p

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭MarkN

Any valeting place I've ever been in use petrol to remove tar.

I would have no problem using petrol on my 07 car once it's waxed after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

I have used a few of them - last car i bought was heavily covered in tar. i spent 3 hrs trying to get it off with the turtle was stuff in the black spray can grrrr useless

6 months later i was a spray tar remover - it was soooo easy did the whole car in 20 mins - cant remember what it was called but i do remember that it had a flamable and a dangerouous fo the enviornment sighns on the back- so i think thats a goood rule for serious tar removal if its not flamable nad dangerous for the enviournment then it CRAP - but i wouldnt be using it on a 07!!

Advertisement