Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help me pick a car for 35 000

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

E92 wrote: »
    The IS220d averages 44.8 mpg, rather poor when you consider that a BMW 320i which is a 2.0 petrol averages 1.5 mpg more than the Lexus and has only 5 bhp than the Lexus. A 320d would average 58.9 mpg and has more power(2 bhp to be precise) than the Lexus. Then again a 325i or even a 330i would use less fuel according to the EU figures than you Golf GTI and those cars have a 3.0 litre straight 6!

IS220D is a bit of a tractor. Unrefined and frankly coarse.

BMW 320i does over 45mpg? :rolleyes: Pass the brandy there Cyril :D 325i and 330i are heavy on fuel.

Golf GTI is actually ok juice wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

IS220D is a bit of a tractor. Unrefined and frankly coarse.
    It's close to as refined as diesel gets, with such a low compression ratio.
    BMW 320i does over 45mpg? :rolleyes: Pass the brandy there Cyril :D 325i and 330i are heavy on fuel.
    I think you'll find E92 is talking about the new range of hybridy BMWs, which from what I've read and seen are pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Well according to the EU tests it sure does.
    See BMW UK for the mpg data of the 320i, 325i and lastly the 330i.

A 320d would cost €42,375 in top line SE trim after July and that has everything bar leather and leccy seats, compared to the IS220d Executive which will cost €47,553 after July. The Beamer will cost €150 to tax compared to the Lexus' €490. And an exec IS is already dearer to buy than its' BMW equivalent right now(51630 vs 50850 for the Bee-Em). Actually the 220d pollutes just 2 g/km less than a 325i, now that is undeniably bad no matter what you think of either BMW or Lexus, a 2.2 4 banger diesel being a mere 2 g/km better on CO2 than a 3.0 litre 6 pot petrol:eek:.

A 320d ES will also be cheaper than the base IS220d, €40,700(after July) for the IS, €39,170 for the 3 series after July(I realise the BMW is a lot dearer presently though).
    JHMEG wrote: »
    I think you'll find E92 is talking about the new range of hybridy BMWs, which from what I've read and seen are pretty good.

Precisely! The non ED ones are a different kettle of fish. More like what HenryFordIII said for mpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A second hand Honda Accord 2.2 diesel should be considered. Most come in Executive spec which means they have leather electric seats, cruise control, etc. I would not bother buying a new one yet as a new model will be launched in the next 12 months, the new diesel is even a bit further away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

All in all though - a great car.

EDIT: BTW Red ones are fastest :D
    DSC_0080l.jpg

Fantastic Looking car, don't fancy it in white but that red colour is perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭TheOneToBe

bazz26 wrote: »
    A second hand Honda Accord 2.2 diesel should be considered. Most come in Executive spec which means they have leather electric seats, cruise control, etc. I would not bother buying a new one yet as a new model will be launched in the next 12 months, the new diesel is even a bit further away.

Yes that would be my pick also, I like them...but problem is that there is a new one coming out this year ! if I would wait till July or so and if the new is out by then, than it would be a strong contender..

It definitely looks like BMW is better deal, but for some reason it just does not look that great for me (except new coupe)...

It is interesting that no one is commenting on Audio A4? I think that it would be interesting purchase?

What about EOS? They are about same priced used as GTI?
    I am also interested for Ireland...when people say that insurance is high? Is that 1000/year 2000/year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

The Golf GTI is the one that would offer the most 'smiles per mile' I reckon. I'm not a VW fan of even a fan of German cars but the GTI is a top motor IMO.

The Lexus IS220D is not up to the class standard of the 320D. If you want a diesel saloon you won't beat the new Mazda 6 - better-looking than the Lexus, sportier than the Passat and you'll get a top-spec, model brand new for <35 grand - especially after July. 142 bhp and Mazda have trimmed the kerbweight. Needs the 18'' wheel option tho...

http://www.mazda.ie/Showroom/Mazda6/

TBH though, if I had only 10 grand in readies I'd be spending less than 35 big ones. People are spoiled with too much easy credit and it's gonna end in the ****ter, mark my words...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I didn't notice if you said automatic was necesary having moved from Canada, but here's something practical, way under your budget and you could probably hammer €2k more off of it.
    Mondeo ST220

The fuel economy will be brutal, Insurance probably €2500-€3000 if you can't transfer you Canadian NCB, but if you have a full 6 year NCB probably around €900-€1200 if you even get a quote.

The new tax rates aren't going to affect anything you buy that is registered before July next year...existing rates apply.

I noticed when I was in the States during the summer that leasing is generally the done thing, but straight out purchase with or without a loan is what would (in my experience) be the most common here in Ireland.

here's a linky to my local credit union which will show the repayments on 25k over 24 months or whatever way you want to try...it's a handy calculator. The rate shown will be higher I think as many Credit Unions offer lower interest loans for cars....or if your deposits cover the borrowings in full (i.e you have €20,000 deposited and want a €15k loan then the rate is 6% I think). The first thing you'll need to do is lodge your 10k with your local Credit Union and start saving weekly/fortnightly, build up a relationship. They generally allow borrowings up to 3 times your deposited savings with them and importantly for you you can pay back as much as you like each month unlike banks which are set and may have penalties for early repayment. It also follows that if you are having a difficult month or few months financially that you can reduce your payment. The interest payable is dependent on how fast you pay off the loan and not set at the beginning. That's why I prefer to get a car loan in paticular from a Credit Union. you can pay back and sell the car on with no debt hanging over it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

TheOneToBe wrote: »
    Yes that would be my pick also, I like them...but problem is that there is a new one coming out this year ! if I would wait till July or so and if the new is out by then, than it would be a strong contender..

The answer is simple then... buy a new Type R in January, and then the following year trade it in for the new Accord diesel! :D

• Advertisement

The new Civic Type-R is quicker than the GTI, but I can't help but get the feeling the outgoing Civic Type-R (EP3) would be even more fun. Or the JDM version saloon which Fifth Gear described as totally hardcore, and quite a bit quicker and harder than the euro version.

The new euro version won't cock its inner rear wheel on hard cornering, unlike the JDM one and the EP3 and DC5 Integra.

Screen cap of JDM cocking wheel, taken from a this video on the excellent nihoncar.com site.

The new Civic Type-R is quicker than the GTI, but I can't help but get the feeling the outgoing Civic Type-R (EP3) would be even more fun. Or the JDM version saloon which Fifth Gear described as totally hardcore, and quite a bit quicker and harder than the euro version.

Hmm the CTR does 0-100 in 6.6 compared to the Golf GTI's 7.2, quite a difference considering the CTR has 2 less bhp, but the CTR is going up to 32% VRT and €1000 tax after July, compared to Golf GTI's 28% VRT and €600 tax, so the CTR is gonna be a lot dearer to buy and run compared to a Golf GTI after July(it already costs more to buy btw at €37k+ IIRC compared to the VW's €35k IIRC).

If buying a Civic Type-R buy before July.

it already costs more to buy btw at €37k+ IIRC compared to the VW's €35k IIRC).
    GTI=35600, CTR=36,980, but the CTR comes with climate control and 18" alloys as standard.
    If buying a Civic Type-R buy before July.
    Absolutely.

Yes Type R would be fun :) question would be how much insurance would cost :) That could be a problem...but if I can find a good deal that it would be good purchase....
    As I have posted before...interesting thing no one is suggesting A4?

Yes Type R would be fun :) question would be how much insurance would cost :) That could be a problem...but if I can find a good deal that it would be good purchase....
    As I have posted before...interesting thing no one is suggesting A4?
    Get a quote online from 123.ie, insure.ie, quinn etc. You'd know in the next 10 mins! ;) (Altho since you're >30 it'd be under a grand I'd say)

A4, imho, is sold as an upmarket Passat. It's not quite as boring looking, but is as boring to drive.

I will give it a try for insurance.. I had Canadian licence since I was 17 and I had never had accident. I only have provisional Irish licence for now. I can probably get some kind of report from my insurance company in Canada where I was named but I used insurance to cover cost of fixing my car couple years ago due to it was broken in to... I would be OK paying 1200 per year for insurance....
    Yes I do agree for Audio, but if I could find a S type with low mileage for a good prise it could be good compromise...
    On my list to try and take a closer look definitely are GTI, Type R, Type S and 220D... and probably A4 for fun of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Something else to bear in mind if buying new is that the Golf MKVI is probably be in the showrooms in 12-15 months. Apparently its just going to be a face lift (like the latest focus) as apposed to a full new model. I've read on CAR magazine website (think that correct) that the MKVI will be idential to MKV from the windows up.
    This might not matter to you but the Civic is the latest model and is unlikely to get any tweaks for a few years yet.

Regarding the Type-S vs Type-R, i test drove the S and liked it but decided against it. The dealer however had a type R already sold in the showroom at the time. Was told no chance of driving it when i chanced by arm;) but was told its a different animal altogether.
    You say your a Honda man but I'd get the GTI everytime over a type S. Having had a spin in both there is no comparison.

You obviousy sold the Civic Si - remember seing a thread a while back wondering should you import it from Canada before the ugly VRT issue as point out??

Something else to bear in mind if buying new is that the Golf MKVI is probably be in the showrooms in 12-15 months. Apparently its just going to be a face lift (like the latest focus) as apposed to a full new model. I've read on CAR magazine website (think that correct) that the MKVI will be idential to MKV from the windows up.
    This might not matter to you but the Civic is the latest model and is unlikely to get any tweaks for a few years yet.

Regarding the Type-S vs Type-R, i test drove the S and liked it but decided against it. The dealer however had a type R already sold in the showroom at the time. Was told no chance of driving it when i chanced by arm;) but was told its a different animal altogether.
    You say your a Honda man but I'd get the GTI everytime over a type S. Having had a spin in both there is no comparison.

You obviousy sold the Civic Si - remember seing a thread a while back wondering should you import it from Canada before the ugly VRT issue as point out??

Yes that is correct for 15 000 euros, two year old 200 HP civic :( sad day in my life, loved that car :) that is part of me that wants to get Type R to compensate. 95 % same as Type R, and that car is just pure fun!!! It is much more different then 1.8 L....

1.jpg

2.jpg
    my baby :)

GTI=35600, CTR=36,980, but the CTR comes with climate control and 18" alloys as standard.
    The CTR starts at €37,345 according to the Honda website. And the GTI comes in at €35,960. Put in 18s and climate control and it costs €37,570, or €325 more than the CTR.

• Advertisement

1.jpg

2.jpg
    my baby :)

Nice Civic Coupe Si. Wish they brought those in here.

If your a Honda man, then an S2000 GT would be a good shout. I've not been lucky enough to drive one yet, but I'm told great fun, but perhaps bit of a bumpy ride. Here's a good example.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=Car&carID=858636

Apparently new CTR is very bumpy.

I'm a Honda man myself, so S2000 GT would be my choice.

S2K would definitely need to be registered before July if the OP were to buy a new one, 36% VRT and 2k tax after then, compared to €590 now and 30% VRT:eek:.

S2K would definitely need to be registered before July if the OP were to buy a new one, 36% VRT and 2k tax after then, compared to €590 now and 30% VRT:eek:.
    It's one of the few cars that is reasonable under the current regime, but will get absolutely shafted come July. I'd actually expect them to start appreciating come July, as no-one will import them or buy them new.

Advertisement