Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving on icy roads?

Options
  • 21-12-2007 5:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I have been driving a couple of weeks and am finishing up my lessons this week. My second last is in the morning, it has been icy here (Leixlip) the past couple of days. Should I cancel the lesson? I dont want to put myself in unneccessary danger but at the same time it might be useful to learn from an instructor how to handle ice instead of leaving it and learning the hard way later on. I will need to drive to Tallaght 2 mornings next week. I go down a lot of back roads that would probably not be used much or salted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Stick with the lesson, as you said.. no better way to learn than with an instructor... i assume they have dual control so if you lose control they can sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd stick with the lesson, but forget about driving on potentially icy roads until you've passed your test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Definitely do the lessons, the experience will improve your driving in ice, and the instructor can always take control in the unlikely event you lose control.

As for driving to Tallaght, I would have recommend using N4 -> M50 cause they'd be salted for sure but as your inexperienced (and an L driver) this is probably not the best idea. It's supposed to get milder tonite anyway so i reckon the ice will not be a problem tomorrow (and if ur lucky, wont be so bad next week)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

With snow and slush, snow tyres (huge difference), 4wd et al help.

When it comes to black ice, there isn't a car invented yet that will save you if it goes pear shaped.

Best not to make any big inputs, either steering/brake/acelerator until grip has been restored, and pray you don't hit anything in the meantime.

Black ice is the single most easy way to crash a car. Whether you are michael schumaker or a learner, the laws of physics apply to both equally.

When low grip levels are available (snow), it is important to plan ahead and not to make sudden changes of inputs that could increase your risk of spinning. Use the traction you have.

Panicing is the worst thing you can do.

Tyres make the biggest difference, but with the irish climate, it is hard to justify a set of winter tyres.

Go for the lesson - it'll be the testers car at least, and he can guide you - you will come across winter conditoins, so learning now will be a big help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Tips for driving on icey roads.

1. Drive in the highest possible gear allowable by the car for your speed.

2. All movements must be light. Steering and braking should be easy and light, no sharpe turns or hard braking.

3. Use engine breaking where possible.

4. Stick to main roads where possible.

5. Turn car into the direction of the slid, if your really really good (rally driver) this should be fun for you.

6. Dont drive if you dont have to drive.

7. Make sure your tyres are in good condition.

8. Drive slowly.

9. If driving on country (R Roads) dont drive near the grass verge, grass will be wet or frozen.

10. Dont drive into standing water on a frosty night because once the water hits your tyres you will lose traction and slid as the water turns to ice.

There is freezing fog out tonight. I still see people driving at normal road speeds, crazy in my opinion because if I hit black ice I would rather crash at 30mph than 60mph.

Happy Christmas to all boarders as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement