Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

B'mer 530D Servicing question

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

This is my last word on the subject NIF and It's me repeating myself again in the hope that maybe my point of view will override the conclusions that you've drawn using classic stinginess and not being rational.

Servicing yourself is ok for a ten year old astra, not for a 56k 530.

Service history is not just for warranty work. Don't be naive.

A basic service and stamp from an appropriate iny WILL verify mileage and cost precious little. Do the big stuff yourself.

If I saw your car advertised in 2 years time with 80k on it and no stamp for 30k but assurances and receipts I would not buy it from you becasue I will simply assume it actually has 120k and it's not an unreasonable assumption most of the time as we all know.

I'm not suggesting you go to a main dealer for every bit of piddle and crap but how does a subsequent owner know YOU know what you're doing and not a tight-fisted DIYer.

I'm surprised such a discussion has occured over such a basic topic for a car BETTER than most people here have. I thought this was simple- keep your FSH together or it'll be assumed you're telling porkies come sale time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

cantdecide wrote: »
    If I saw your car advertised in 2 years time with 80k on it and no stamp for 30k but assurances and receipts I would not buy it from you becasue I will simply assume it actually has 120k and it's not an unreasonable assumption most of the time as we all know.

In fairness the back copies of the NCT cert should be just as useful for verifying milage.

If I was buying a car privately, and the owner has an impressive folder of recepits, and if my bullsh1tometer gave a negative reading I would be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

@cantdecide

I think you'll find that most people with an interest in cars will take a book full of receipts and a decent chat with the car owner over a stamped service book any day of the week. For example i change my oil every 3k and before and after a track day on my car, would this happen at a nissan dealers? Its always the first and second year apprentices that do the basic services no matter what dealer you go to, and 90% of car enthusiasts dont take any notice of dealer service history when buying a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

This is my last word on the subject NIF and It's me repeating myself again in the hope that maybe my point of view will override the conclusions that you've drawn using classic stinginess and not being rational.

A basic service and stamp from an appropriate iny WILL verify mileage and cost precious little. Do the big stuff yourself.

I'm not suggesting you go to a main dealer for every bit of piddle and crap but how does a subsequent owner know YOU know what you're doing and not a tight-fisted DIYer.

I'm surprised such a discussion has occured over such a basic topic for a car BETTER than most people here have. I thought this was simple- keep your FSH together or it'll be assumed you're telling porkies come sale time.

All of this is invalid if the OP decides to keep the car to the end of its life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

I'm surprised such a discussion has occured over such a basic topic for a car BETTER than most people here €hhave. I thought this was simple- keep your FSH together or it'll be assumed you're telling porkies come sale time.

Hi cantdecide,

I see your repeated point but dont agree with the logic.....sorry. We'll have to beg to differ on this as I'm with many others here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Just wondering if the OP got to reset the service lights??
    BTW I'm a bit dubious about the paper clip trick at the connector mentioned in some of the bimmer forums. Shorting out 2 pins at the obd connector might not be kind to the bimmers electronics.
    I might be wrong but I assume the peake reset tool has some internal circuitry to protect the bimmer's electronics from current surge

I too service my 520i. It's got over 100k on the clock so at this stage getting the book stamped ain't that important for me any more but i do service it regularly enough and having the oil inspection light comming up on the dash is a little annoying as is the SRS air bag light which came on after i was cleaning the car. I obviously disturbed the seat occupancy sensor but once that switch is momentarily opened it's a trip to the dealer to get it reset (45 euro :eek:.)

I too service my 520i. It's got over 100k on the clock

Another good car goes into the ether... I wish i still smoked:D

What should one do with a middle aged family saloon? Donate it to the Smithsonian?

You mean an Almera??

You mean an Almera??

Does a 520i or 530d differ so much from an almera? Superior car obviously, but if you can maintain one you can maintain the other. The 5 series is still a bread and butter car, albeit somewhat more sophisticated than others... bread butter and jam maybe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Ease up there with the sarcasm :p
    My question was to the OP. Nothin do do with you! don't bother replying if you've nothing constructive to add eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

BTW I'm a bit dubious about the paper clip trick at the connector mentioned in some of the bimmer forums. Shorting out 2 pins at the obd connector might not be kind to the bimmers electronics.
    I might be wrong but I assume the peake reset tool has some internal circuitry to protect the bimmer's electronics from current surge

I too service my 520i. It's got over 100k on the clock so at this stage getting the book stamped ain't that important for me any more but i do service it regularly enough and having the oil inspection light comming up on the dash is a little annoying as is the SRS air bag light which came on after i was cleaning the car. I obviously disturbed the seat occupancy sensor but once that switch is momentarily opened it's a trip to the dealer to get it reset (45 euro :eek:.)

If your in Galway at any stage i'll reset it for a bottle of Buckfast :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

hi Fingers,

no, i've been so busy geting my mates berlingo van ready for its DOE, the bmeeer has'nt had its service yet. But, I'll tell you more when i have it done.
    Rgds,

NIF.

Advertisement