Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does Roscommon even exist?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Only ever stepped into Roscommon once, Elphin to be exact a few years ago. Flippin' hell, I though parts of Tyrone were depressing, but when I opened the car door I thought I was transported to an Eastern European 1980's time warp!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I believe theres a cracking Lada and Trabant dealership located somewhere within the confines of the 'common :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/4081/chimps1aa12a5xt8.jpg

The average Roscommon male..........apparently, although that is unconfirmed and it could be 'Roscommon' in Africa.

lawhec wrote: »
    Only ever stepped into Roscommon once, Elphin to be exact a few years ago. Flippin' hell, I though parts of Tyrone were depressing, but when I opened the car door I thought I was transported to an Eastern European 1980's time warp!
    Yes, some parts of the county are a bit deprived, :( Went that way a couple of times last year. Saw a few red number plates on the cars.

darkman2 wrote: »
    http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/4081/chimps1aa12a5xt8.jpg

The average Roscommon male..........apparently, although that is unconfirmed and it could be 'Roscommon' in Africa.
    *drops Mirror* :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I used to live with a girl from Roscommon, though she'd be damned to admit it.
    Damned to admit that she was from Roscommon or admit that she lived with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Mweelrea

Jeapy wrote: »
    It exists, it really does! Oh and we want Pierce Hanley back! Damn Aussies!

Pierce Hanley played for Mayo mate:)
    What ever, all mayo spawned was Louis Walsh and a bunch of hippie pricks who didn't even come from rossport.......the Rossies own you.....just admit it.

ya you got me with louis walsh but i'll admit no such thing that the rossies own me!
    After all i singlehandly won ballahagdereen back from Rosscommon; heres the proof-newmayo.jpg

see that we own the town :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Toots85 wrote: »
    I heard it's now underwater, kinda like the lost city of Atlantis, only it's the lost county of Roscommon, nobody knows if it really exists, although there have been countless expeditions to try and find it, none have succeeded thus far! :p

It can be found alright. Thing is there's not a whole lot to see once you get there. Miles and miles of bloody nothing. Sh1thole of a county in fairness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I saw one of those number plates once. I was told that it stood for "Really Nowhere"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

this thread is some form of "...ist". i'm not sure what "...ist", but it definitly is.

• Advertisement

this thread is some form of "...ist". i'm not sure what "...ist", but it definitly is.
    Maybe this thread is a bit rosscommonist?:D

It's nice to have an 'ism!

as a fellow Roscommunismist.

the red wesht!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

DonJose wrote: »
    Ever been to Athlone?
    My friend lives in Athlone, but she has Westmeath in her address

kelle wrote: »
    My friend lives in Athlone, but she has Westmeath in her address

Most of Athlone is in co Westmeath, just there is a small bit in roscommon (officially the whole town is Westmeath)
    That's where the postoffice is, there are a few small townlands to the west that are in Roscommon but have Athlone in the address, you can put Co. Roscommon, as your address on any forms you like but business letters will be addressed to westmeath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Fast_Mover wrote: »
    My good friend from college is from Roscommon..we give her a right slagging bless her. When she's drunk her bogger accent is sooooo strong!!:D
    Glass houses.

This should be on the Roscommon board.
    Biko beat you to it.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    its pronounced Castle-re, silent A; i think the people that named the town should know better, comes from the shortened irish version of Caisleán Rí
    Damn Brits and their anglicisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

So you work in a castle? That proves nothing!
    Don't work in the castle, just drew the linework for the logo you saw in the photo. I suppose I should have added this to my post - it mentions the mythical land of roscommon a few times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

According to Google Earth, it does actually exist. It's in Michigan in the us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

Roscommon has just been annexed by Galweh, and such no longer exists, rockfords is being demolished as we speak and the galliant victors are now bewildered what to do with their new aquisition........

You Suck! wrote: »
    Roscommon has just been annexed by Galweh, and such no longer exists, rockfords is being demolished as we speak and the galliant victors are now bewildered what to do with their new aquisition........

Oi Mayo has reccently taken back ballahagderren from rossscommon,
    If galway go near it you could start an inter-county war!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

Mweelrea wrote: »
    Pierce Hanley played for Mayo mate:)

After all i singlehandly won ballahagdereen back from Rosscommon; heres the proof-newmayo.jpg

see that we own the town :D

Aussies, not Rossies! He's gone playing in Oz...and we want him back! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

sure I think the west of Ireland isn't actually there anymore

erosion and all that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

For a place that doesn't exist theres certainly a few counties trying to claim part of it, standup Mayo and Westmeath. I make two conculsions

1) I does exist (plus i was in Strokestown yesterday, and it claimed to be in County Roscommon)
    2) It mustn't be that much of a kip if the other counties want a piece of it.

I do however think its a shame that they hide the monkey people. :mad: Not a single one did I see, plus in the local rag they only had picture of the people looking natives. Again :mad:

They seem to be ashamed of their monkey population! (Thats my 3rd conclusion)

phasers wrote: »
    sure I think the west of Ireland isn't actually there anymore

erosion and all that

So thats why I fell into the sea when I went out my front door this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

For a place that doesn't exist theres certainly a few counties trying to claim part of it, standup Mayo and Westmeath. I make two conculsions

1) I does exist (plus i was in Strokestown yesterday, and it claimed to be in County Roscommon)
    2) It mustn't be that much of a kip if the other counties want a piece of it.

make that five or six counties; longford, leitrim, sligo and galway as well as mayo and westmeath have all claimed ownership over parts of roscommon :mad:

we need to bring back those high kings and claim ownership over all of connaught and west leinster!! i purpose we rename the new area (consisting of sligo, mayo, galway, roscommon, leitrim, westmeath, longford) simply "Roscommon"

rossie1977 wrote: »
    make that five or six counties; longford, leitrim, sligo and galway as well as mayo and westmeath have all claimed ownership over parts of roscommon :mad:

we need to bring back those high kings and claim ownership over all of connaught and west leinster!! i purpose we rename the new area (consisting of sligo, mayo, galway, roscommon, leitrim, westmeath, longford) "Roscommon"

Thats not very creative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

i have a friend from some place called mountbelliew in galway and she has an unreal and completely unreasonable hatred of rosscommon. so i think it does in all probability exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

So thats why I fell into the sea when I went out my front door this morning.

imagine using that as an excuse for being late

"sorry I'm late boss, erosion"

phasers wrote: »
    imagine using that as an excuse for being late

"sorry I'm late boss, erosion"
    Where's the garden gone? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Ive touched on this topic before in AH, the imaginary counties, roscommon and some other place called "leetrom"

I think they exist in the way hy-brasil exits

right lads I've divided up rosscommon so we all have a share of it

The part marked in black is no-mans land

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg87/Mweelrea/Newross.gif

What do ye think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

What do ye think?

I think I'll be buying no mans land and form my own country!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

What do ye think?

We don't need any of it in Galway, perhaps Limerick might take it,to help them with the City Border Extension:D

its a good idea but i see two problems.
    1/There are quite a few boarders so smuggling could be rampant
    2/The surrounding counties may want to divide the no-mans land up evenly or use it as a place to send criminals.....

In other words you'll need a big army!lol:D

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭lynnlegend

Fast_Mover wrote: »
    How do the majority of people in here pronounce this?
    My Rossie friend pronounces it Castle-ree, however myself and the rest of my friends pronounce it Castle-ray.

in-bred-rea

I'll chip in too. At least in that way you're guaranteed a population of: 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I'll chip in too. At least in that way you're guaranteed a population of: 2.

Excellent! Anybody want to chip in for citizenship? First 5 get to be ministers.
    We will have broadband to equal Frances within two years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

Hmmm micronations :D

Unfortunately we do not have a means of physically removing teh Galweh from the Island and relocating to more southern climes.......But when we do!

MUHAHHAHHAHAHA!!!
    Ya can keep the hippies tho!

>:}

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

Too late! I saw some lad standing outside the post office in Strokestown reading out this:
    POBLACHT NA ROSSIE NUA
    TO THE PEOPLE LEFT IN THE PART OF ROSCOMMON NOBODY ELSE WANTS

ROSSIE MEN AND ROSSIE WOMEN: In the name of God and of the dead generations from which she receives her old tradition of nationhood, New Ross, through us, summons her children to her flag and strikes for her freedom. yadda, yadda, yadda,

:D

Advertisement