Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tatoo on prospect hill

Options
  • 21-12-2007 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

Is this place new or have I just noticed for the first time recently? Can anyone recommend somewhere to get a tatoo in galway or would the guys doing it in dublin by of a higher standard?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Apparently Waterford and Cork are great for tattoos..I will ask my tattoo friendly friend. Don't know anyone who had work done in Galway tho..

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Waterford is crap - they can barely write, seriously seen some work from there and they look like prision tatt's

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Which artist?

The 2 I saw (one tribal bracelet and one Celtic thingy) were really detailed and good.

I don't know the name of the guy so I suppose it's useless info anyway..

Ask around, and not just about shops, about specific artists and their particular forte - someone great at lettering could be crap at portrait work etc..

And I actually saw a great prison tat on a guy in NY ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

There's a tattoo place near 4 star pizza, not sure if it's still there. Wish I had the balls to get a tat because I would love to get one, but I'm scared to death of needles, always have , always will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

DEmeant0r wrote: »
    There's a tattoo place near 4 star pizza, not sure if it's still there. Wish I had the balls to get a tat because I would love to get one, but I'm scared to death of needles, always have , always will be.

Aye, Irish Ink (Formerly Planet X). Its still there

Dont want to comment on how good they are because 50% of people say they are useless and the other half say they are great. Same story as metalworks on shop st., I did get a tattoo there and it was "Grand/ok" so Id rather not recommend.

I would suggest that if it was a fairly simple tattoo then try either of the above. But if it was very detailed or big, I would suggest Dublin. In which case you can check out the body mod forum and ask about it there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You should ask in Body Modification, those guys know ink best. I had a tattoo done by Metalworks on Shop street and have been complimented on it several times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Got a tattoo in Irish Ink and I'm really happy with it. Good feedback and communication with the artist that done the work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭C-J

Irish Ink did a really good job on mine- I got a chinese symbol which was a little too large on the print so he retraced it for me and was really professional about it. Not too expensive either Id recomment it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Morbid.Angel

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

hhmph... as a regular on the bodymods forum, the two main places in galway seem to be irish ink/metalworks... which seem to be as bad/good as each other... but either ways, judging on their reputations alone, im not sure i'd be happy getting inked there... the lads at waterford seem rather exceptional... one day, i intend to get a photo inked on, and it will more than likely be done by those gusy... meanwhile, i've had a cartoon done by justin in zulu which turned out great, and a polar baer by darren in colour works, which turned out better than i could have ever imagined. i can give the dude nothing but kudos for that one.

do try the body modifications forum though, im only one person, im sure the other guys will do their best to help ye too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I was working with a guy today who got a tattoo done in Irish Ink he was happy with. I swung by there the other day and they seemed grand although the majority of people I know who go there are girls getting lower back tattoos.

The guy went with a friend to the tattoo parlor on Prospect Hill and he was very impressed. He's planning on going back after Christmas to get a celtic cross done as he liked the style a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Queen

I'm delighted bout the opening of two new places! I really don't like Irish Ink (bad vibe, dirty, rude people in there) or Metal Works (warped one of my piercings by putting the wrong size bar in). Don't suppose any one will be walking by either of these new places? If so, jot down the number for me! Won't be around town for a lonnng time and I wanna find out if either of them have female piercers!

Can't wait to check them out for myself though!

Does anyone know if they have a website?

Or where is Prospect Hill?

Do you know where Shannon Drycleaners is on Bohermore Rd? It's just up from that (in the direction of town). On the corner of the road leading down to the Credit Union and Harvest

The Queen wrote: »
    Do you know where Shannon Drycleaners is on Bohermore Rd? It's just up from that (in the direction of town). On the corner of the road leading down to the Credit Union and Harvest

Thanks, I'll look up a map for Bohermore. Might be easier to find than prospect Hill.

I havnt a clue where stuff in Galway is, curse my sense of direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Thanks, I'll look up a map for Bohermore. Might be easier to find than prospect Hill.

I havnt a clue where stuff in Galway is, curse my sense of direction.
    Start at Cuba in Eyre square, and head up the road going out of Eyre square, past Richardsons pub on the corner. Keep going up that road and you'll see it on the right eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Poppy84

just back from there now and I have to say how excellent they are. They're real professional and friendly only open 6 weeks i think he said defo recommend!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Wanna post a pic? :D
    Thanks for the feedback, good to know.

Poppy84 wrote: »
    just back from there now and I have to say how excellent they are. They're real professional and friendly only open 6 weeks i think he said defo recommend!!!!

They've ony been open for six weeks?

What are the prices like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭sam69

Have all my stuff done in Irish ink, nice friendly service, no attitude:) Will definitely be goin back for more

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭sam69

check out my tat on thier website.

www.irishinktattoo.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Poppy84

They've ony been open for six weeks?

What are the prices like?

Prices are very good i think, well for the piercings anyway, much cheaper than any of the others in Galway, I priced around before i went in. Naval is 50 think the tongue is 60 (dont quote me on that im not 100%).

Very professional and clean. Really nice and great advice. The guy doing the tattoos actually did mine where he worked previously so I can highly recommend both the tattooist and piercer!!!!

Went in yesterday. I've an idea of what I want for a tattoo, so I was talking to the tattoo artist Gordon. He's gonna draw me up some custom designs and I'll pick which one I like on Wednesday!
    He's been tattooing for over ten years, and he worked the last four in Metal Works. The studio itself used to be based in Athlone, open over a month here. Gordon showed me an album of his work and he is very very talented!

I gotta say - first impressions count and this place seems great. Very clean, and everyone seems very nice and eager to help. I always felt uncomfortable in Metal Works but this place totally puts you at ease!

When tattoo is done, I'll put up pics! Hope they are as good as they are nice! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭liz2000

just to let u all know that Irish ink is not dirty, overpriced or staffed with unexpereinced, rude people,,,, as has been suggested by some previous posters on this topic,,
    we are always happy to assist and advise those in choosing tattoos or piercings and jon has a vast knowledge of and much experience in both of these procedures. Just wanted to clear all that up, at the end of the day of course, galway is a growing city and thus it was bound to eventually house more than one or two studios, ultimately it is the customers choice but we always welcome enquiries and are happy to assist u in any way we can
    liz ( co-owner ) Irish Ink;)

For anybody wondering prices - I'm getting quite a large piece done around my boob. It consists of ten stars, the biggest about 2 inches trailing into smaller stars with lines to give it the shooting star effect. Loads of colour. It's costin 300. 2 sessions at 150 each...

And Liz2000 - what has been said are peoples views and are speaking from their experiences...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

The Queen wrote: »
    For anybody wondering prices - I'm getting quite a large piece done around my boob. It consists of ten stars, the biggest about 2 inches trailing into smaller stars with lines to give it the shooting star effect. Loads of colour. It's costin 300. 2 sessions at 150 each...
    That's just asking for uncouth sort to post "pics or it didn't happen".

Thankfully, I'm above all that.

Its around the boob so I can hide the good bits! It'll be posted in the pics thread in BodMod! I do like to show off though so probably here too.... Gettin the outline done Monday..... can't wait!! YAY TATTOOS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

liz2000 wrote: »
    just to let u all know that Irish ink is not dirty, overpriced or staffed with unexpereinced, rude people,,,, as has been suggested by some previous posters on this topic,,

I think you will find they are peoples experiences and not just suggestions - it's not like we sit around speculating as to what retail shops may or may not be dirty. I've been to Irish Ink a few times and felt the place looked a little grubby, so I went to Metal Works. I think you'll find it's a fairly common complaint, Metal Works might have it's own problems to be fair but I've never heard of it being dirty or unsanitary.

• Advertisement

HavoK wrote: »
    I think you will find they are peoples experiences and not just suggestions - it's not like we sit around speculating as to what retail shops may or may not be dirty. I've been to Irish Ink a few times and felt the place looked a little grubby, so I went to Metal Works. I think you'll find it's a fairly common complaint, Metal Works might have it's own problems to be fair but I've never heard of it being dirty or unsanitary.

+1

Although I've always felt ill at ease in Metalworks. I cannot say what it is but it just makes me feel a little...I dunno, apprehensive in there.

Advertisement