Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Does Your Insurance Company Need To Know If You Pass?

Options
  • 21-12-2007 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭

Does your insurance company need to be informed immediately if you pass your test?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

You get a rebate for the time left on your insurance. So basically you get money when you let them know. That's how it worked for me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Cool. Will call them ASAP so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Most do, Quinn do not.. well they did not give my sister a rebate... I got a big one from Axa when i passed in 99.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Saruman wrote: »
    Most do, Quinn do not.. well they did not give my sister a rebate... I got a big one from Axa when i passed in 99.

Yes they do ,they refunded me 280euro on 6 months insurance when i passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The difference on Quinn can be negligable between second provisional and just issued full; but they do give you anything there is to be given back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I was with Hibernian through Tesco and I didn't get any money back.

However, the only way I was able to get insured with Tesco was by completing the provisional ignition course. This allowed me to get much cheaper insurance than with anyone else and when I asked why there was no discount when I passed my full test, I was told because I was given the price of a driver with a full licence when I passed the provisional ignition test and to get a further discount, I could sit the full ignition test. Worked out well and saved a few bob over other insurers for the time and also learned some good things in the ignition courses.

I'm now insured with FBD though because they beat the price this year. I feel I got the cheapest possible insurance by doing it this way though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

So i guess good ole quinn customer service strikes again... they refused my sister. I bet if she called and asked someone else she would have got a refund.

So i guess good ole quinn customer service strikes again... they refused my sister. I bet if she called and asked someone else she would have got a refund.

Depends, how long was left on her policy and how long had she been driving on a provisional before that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Hmmm. My girlfriend passed recently and she got a few bob back too (quinn as well)

Hopw long has you sister on her policy, how much is she paying at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Sometimes there's very little difference in quotes between female on full license and female on provisional so there may not have been any money worth refunding. I got a rebate off them when I passed my test anyway (I'm male so there was a hefty difference).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

Hey, you should get your sis to give em another call, I rang the day (Quinn Direct) i passed and the dude on the phone said sure no problem 80 bills sent back to my account. Fooook all but better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

Ive had to call quinn twice since joining them, on both occasions their systems crashed and they said they'd call me back... still waiting for that.

Wasn't expectiong money back cause family told me from previous experience they dont refund but will try again to get that money back if it comes down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I haven't had money sent back to me. However there is a reduction in the monthly payments so it's all good.

That'd be much the same thing as getting a refund for an up-front payer.

I found a while ago that it was significantly cheaper to get a personal loan from the bank and pay the insurance in one go than to pay the monthly premiums; think Quinn at the time were 19% APR for monthly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i got a €250 rebate from quinn

Advertisement