Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linda Collister's Devil's Food Cake

• 21-12-2007 8:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭

I make a Devil's Food Cake every year for my boyfriend's family for Christmas using a Linda Collister recipe. Unfortunately, the recipe is on a card (from 'A Passion For Chocolate' bundle of cards) and it seems to have gone missing. I can't find it online, and I can only remember some of the ingredients. I need to buy any ingredients I need tomorrow because I plan on avoiding shops of any kind until well after Christmas! Does anyone have the recipe? Linda Collister has a good few Chocolate books and I'm hoping someone will be able to find it for me. I'm not making the cake just to be nice, it's actually been requested (and I've been offered money for it, which I wont be taking!) so I really want to make the one they love.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Ya I saw that one. It's pretty similar, except it has sour cream in it, which I know will make the cake moist like I want it. I might try it out if I can't find the one I usually use. Thanks!

I went to Waterstones and found a newer version of the recipe in one of her books. She seems to have changed the recipe to include sour cream and water instead of milk, just like in that recipe you found, Dizzyblonde, so I'll be giving it a try! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Possum66

Hi,

I have a book of Linda Collister's, called the Baking Bible (2004), and the recipe of the devil's food cake includes milk, no mention of sour cream or water, do u still need the recipe? Let me know.

Funny story: I spent weeks blaming my mother for losing the recipe. I was convinced it was her fault. When I was packing my things to move home from college a couple of weeks ago what turned up? The recipe card! It was stuck in a book where I write in recipes I make up.

Thanks anyway!

• Advertisement

Happens to all of us, I guess :-). I "lost" and have found one of my Granny's recipes (which included her last letter to me) in the same way...

I am glad it turned up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

janeybabe wrote: »
    Funny story: I spent weeks blaming my mother for losing the recipe. I was convinced it was her fault. When I was packing my things to move home from college a couple of weeks ago what turned up? The recipe card! It was stuck in a book where I write in recipes I make up.

Thanks anyway!

Ooo, any chance of posting it?

Yup, I'll post it later on when I drag myself out of bed!

Oops nearly forgot about this!

Devil's Food Cake (Linda Collister)

90g dark chocolate
    115g unsalted butter
    90g brown sugar
    1 tbsp golden syrup
    175g plain flour
    25g cocoa powder
    half teaspoon bicarb of soda
    2 large eggs, beaten
    half teaspoon vanilla extract
    90mls milk

Melt chocolate, butter, sugar and syrup together in a saucepan over a low heat. Stir until smooth and allow to cool slightly.

Sift flour, cocoa powder and bicarb into a bowl and pour in the melted chocolate mixture. Stir a bit, then add the eggs, vanilla and milk. Mix together well until smooth

Spoon into prepared tins (9 inches, lined with parchment, although I just use the regular small sandwich tins and I have no idea what size they are. Probably 9 inches!) and bake at 170C/Gas 3 for 15/20 minutes. I like mine to be moist enough so I just check after about 12/13 minutes.

The icing suggested in the recipe is made by beating 250 ml sour cream into melted chocolate (140g dark, 140g milk but I use dark.) However as I don't like sour cream icing I use double cream, which I heat and pour over chopped chocolate and allow to set a bit. I put icing in the middle, on top and all around the sides and then I decorate it with chocolate curls. It looks impressive but is so easy!

I found the other recipe in this thread didn't work as well for some reason, but this one is pretty much foolproof. It also tastes really good. So good the diabetic in my boyfriend's family had some! (But I don't recommend this.)

Now I'm hungry. :(

I mentioned your story to my husband today and now he wants me to bake one for next week for an office celebration... got bored of my usual chocolate cake, I think ;-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement