Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galloping Gormleys.

Options
  • 21-12-2007 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

So the Greens are going to take my incandescent light bulbs off me in a year.

What is the position about those long fluorescent tubes like the ones in a kitchen ? Will they get the chop too or will be alright there ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

They are not incandescent so it does not apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

The only thing that this stupid new legislation will do is send business from the republic to the north of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Methinks a spell in Government will "enlighten" (sorry) the Greens to the real world, ala Sinn Fein, DUP, et al.

They will see the effect of their policies impact in the next popularity survey.

They're good guys at heart but they need to connect with the meat eating majority in order to avoid the PD syndrome, ie be seen to be humble... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Its an amazing aspect of democracy that a small party, with a tiny percentage of the overall vote can have such a large impact on our lives. Most people have installed recessed downlighters into their newbuilds/extensions and those godawful looking cfls won't work in them. What are we supposed to do Minister Gormless, rip out our recessed lighting and pay electricians/plasterers to redo the lighting and ceilings afterwards? That idiot is only starting by the way, did you hear his plans for a carbon tax - as if we're not already screwed with enough taxes as it is, and he's cracking down on rural housing. Next he'll be dictating that we should all go back on horseback and living in caves while hugging a tree each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Dave - he's only doing what needs to be done and the world will follow!
    Grin and bear it for the next two years and solutions will appear.

I for one will be delighted to have an alternative to the GU10!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

so, I should sit in the dark for two years, is that it?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Galloping Gormleys is right.

What happens when the tungsten halogen bulbs in our security lights blow. Are they not incandescant too ?

Why is there a pygmy bulb inside my Bosch fridge freezer that stays on when the door is closed and the freezer unit is on ? That is an incandescant bulb too !!!

Finally, the last time I looked inside a lighthouse they were lit by incandescant bulbs ! Does Long John Gormley want to switch off the lighthouses and run ships aground on Sandymount Strand ? They would leave more than a carbon footprint......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Its an amazing aspect of democracy that a small party, with a tiny percentage of the overall vote can have such a large impact on our lives.

Totally agree. Most people don't want them in Government, yet they are shoving their questionable ideals in our faces. They'd want to sit back for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Oilrig wrote: »
    Methinks a spell in Government will "enlighten" (sorry) the Greens to the real world, ala Sinn Fein, DUP, et al.

They will see the effect of their policies impact in the next popularity survey.

They're good guys at heart but they need to connect with the meat eating majority in order to avoid the PD syndrome, ie be seen to be humble... ;)

QFT, they need to take baby steps or they won't be back anytime soon.
    Its an amazing aspect of democracy that a small party, with a tiny percentage of the overall vote can have such a large impact on our lives.

Jeez, you're talking like they're forcing a religion on you or something. Most people would agree that we need to change certain environmental habits in order to maintain the world as a habitable place (christ I hate how I sounded like a crusty just there, I'm not but I know I'm right!). Is using energy efficient lightbulbs such a huge sacrifice to make?

There's a huge hullabaloo now just like there was before the smoking ban and the plastic bag levy, as usual people will adapt in a flash and forget all about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

There's a huge hullabaloo now just like there was before the smoking ban and the plastic bag levy, as usual people will adapt in a flash and forget all about this.

That’s because there are easy alternatives. Go outside and smoke, use reusable bag.

There are many areas where there are no easy alternatives with the light idea. Security lighting, Flood lights, Strobe lights at Airport, Dimmer switches, I could go on but then I would be putting more thought into this post than Gormless put into this idea of his.
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I see this legislation creating a larger market for energy efficient lighting which will encourage research and investment in new products. I expect a wider choice of energy efficient bulbs over the next few years. There is no reason why led bulbs cannot be manufactured in any shape to match any existing light fitting, except lack of demand. Banning old type bulbs creates a level playing field for those investing in new technologies that will be even more enviromentally friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭maurice1

Its just the same as when the govt brought in the WEEE charge first and they put the 50cent on each fluorescent lamp incl CFLs - and they had to change that - I'll believe it when I see it.

We will just end up ordering lamps on-line from China and they will probably be cheaper

Advertisement