Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Satnav.

Options
  • 21-12-2007 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Girly question here as I know absolutely nothing about satnavs for cars !

One question.

Amongst all the satnavs available do any of them record your speed including your maximum speed ?

With the privatisation of speed cameras in the future I don't trust the bastards not to screw us. It would be nice to have a record of your own of your speed with which to put up a fight. I suppose I am looking for something like a flight recorder on an aircraft !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

They don't record your speed as far as I'm aware. Maybe the more expensive ones do.
    You can get a device fitted to your car and pay a monthly fee which will record your position and speed but it's gona cost more than a speeding ticket.
    If you get done for speeding when you actually weren't the speedometer isn't calibrated properly and you will get off with it. even if you were speeding and it's not calibrated you would get off too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Most satnavs record speed, but only your maximum and average.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

well i know my garmin will record my max speed (garmin 610t)...

bit of a balls though if you're on motorways, then get caught on national roads with your max speed displaying 120km/hr so you'd have to reset it after you've been on motorways..

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Longrangedriver

smemon wrote: »
    well i know my garmin will record my max speed (garmin 610t)...

bit of a balls though if you're on motorways, then get caught on national roads with your max speed displaying 120km/hr so you'd have to reset it after you've been on motorways..

Better reset my Garmin, its displaying max speed of 268kmph from a test spin of a 911 on the M1, that would be a locking up offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Just spotted my Nuvi 670t logs my Max speed too ... a reset was in order :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I was using my TomTom in the UK recently it changed the limit automatically when I changed from Motorway to normal road was very handy.
    Doesn't bloody work here though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Better reset my Garmin, its displaying max speed of 268kmph from a test spin of a 911 on the M1, that would be a locking up offence.

I wouldn't worry about it! They can't nail you on what your GPS unit says you were doing. Sure for all they know you could have been on an Autoban last week!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

the gps could hardly help you out anyway, whats to say you had the GPS on recording your max speed when you were going 130 on a motorway :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Biro wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about it! They can't nail you on what your GPS unit says you were doing. Sure for all they know you could have been on an Autoban last week!

or you brought your gps on a 747

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Eamon234, check your manual, most of them have this feature available. I use a Becker, it lets you decide how much is an acceptable "overspeed" ie 5kph in a 50, 10 kph in a 100 etc, it then shouts at you.

Drives Herself nuts... heh heh heh :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

eamon234 wrote: »
    I was using my TomTom in the UK recently it changed the limit automatically when I changed from Motorway to normal road was very handy.

My TomTom does it here... Not on country roads though.

Oilrig: The TomTom has the correct speed limits, and adjusts itself automatically...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Testicle,

In case it wasn't clear, mine does the same, on all roads I've driven on so far. I'm assuming all the Navtec using units have the same capability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Tomas_V

AnnaStezia wrote: »
    Amongst all the satnavs available do any of them record your speed including your maximum speed ?
    Co-Pilot keeps a running log (track file) of every location & turn and the precise time you were there. Speed could be calculated from that. Not sure if TomTom does, but it might be no harm to have a poke around the file system of your device. The track files don't take up a lot of space and can be used to playback your trip. Some can be uploaded into Google Earth.

There's been a case in the UK of a guy who was linked to a series of burglaries thanks to his own SatNav records.

It should also be possible (but expensive) to track your speed and location using cellphone mast information.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Tomas_V wrote: »
    It should also be possible (but expensive) to track your speed and location using cellphone mast information.

That's why I always leave my mobile at home when I head out on a murder spree :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Tomas_V

Indeed, satnavs and phone records will be a useful source of evidence following collisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

eamon234 wrote: »

Eamonn, my TT does what you say yours doesn't, however it doesn't have the speed limit in it for all roads, but at least it has for most of them. You get a warning beep when you are exceeding the speed limit.

I also have the speed camera locations loaded up on mine and it warns me as I approach them so I can check my speed.

Advertisement