Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Litter

• 21-12-2007 11:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

I was in town this evening (Friday) and the lights and shopfronts looked terrific. However, there was literally piles of litter around the place. Outside Burger King and all along the pedestrian area of Michael St were particularly bad. I shudder to think what it will look like in the morning if all that sh1t is not cleared up.

Did the street cleaners all ring in sick this week or something?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

imho this is normal enough,
    I honestly don't get it...people don't seem to take pride in the place they live in, whats ironic is the same people that litter are the same people that would start on you if you said to them that waterford was a **** hole.

I honestly just don;'t get the mentality of dropping rubbish on the ground, I don't do it and I can't understand how people do it without thinking that its wrong

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Its cleaned up in the middle of the night so its not to bad the next day. But I agree, its horrible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Yep, one of my greatest hates. I am of the opinion that it's not just the small minority that do it, half the damned town seems to be at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

True, the fast food ghettos are particularly bad.

A punishment for litter-bugs would be for the corpo to have a black-bag emptying ceremony in the front room of the guilty. First offence 1 bag. Second offence, 3 bags and so on.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

They are normally in the process of cleaning up when I'm going to work in the morning. It is really bad around the club and take-away junction of Parnell Street/Cork Road and John Street. Not just rubbish either. I also have to step around puddles of vomit fairly regularly. Nice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

fricatus wrote: »
    I was in town this evening (Friday) and the lights and shopfronts looked terrific. However, there was literally piles of litter around the place. Outside Burger King and all along the pedestrian area of Michael St were particularly bad. I shudder to think what it will look like in the morning if all that sh1t is not cleared up.

Did the street cleaners all ring in sick this week or something?

If the dirty b@stards that littered in the first place weren't such savages the situation wouldn't be as bad.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭paul666

I notice this most mornings when i go to work too, thursday mornings are the worst day of the week.

Is there no bins around that area Parnell Street/Cork Road and John Street?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Not sure about town but I remember the council in Tramore removed a lot of bins due to them overflowing and people taking advantage a few years back. Sad eh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

I remember one day outside Freshways near Hillview this woman pulled up in a 4 wheel drive (this is not a rant against 4 wheel drive owners) outside the door and drove in at an angle taking up two full spaces. Just said to myself typical but what drove me mad was about 2 mins later (i was collecting Chinese) her young son who was about ten in the front seat opened the door and threw a load of rubbish on the ground, crisp packets, sweet papers etc. The bin was about 6 feet away. I flipped and said what the hell are you doing, there is a bin just there (or words to that effect). He thought I was joking first and smiled but realised I was serious when I didn't smile back. He got out and put the rubbish in the bin. I had hoped he had learned a lesson but I doubt it.

It drives me mental too seeing people throwing rubbish around the place. I was out walkin my dog out in portlaw woods one day and i saw a fellow unload a trailer full of rubbish. took the reg and rang the guards. i know he got done for it too because the guard told me.
    people shouldnt be afraid to report littering, its the only way of tackling these scum

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I reported a similar incident to the cops in Carrick one day......nothing came of it.

Roen wrote: »
    I reported a similar incident to the cops in Carrick one day......nothing came of it.

Id chase it up, and ask to speak to the super in charge. That kind of thing shouldnt be left slide.

Fair play to both yourself and Paul. Id do the exact same.

Roen wrote: »
    i reported a car that threw all the contents of cunnighhams* chips out the window, but nothing was done about it either, there are too many loopholes i.e evidence and so on.

was driving to work last week and u no the roundabout after the 6 cross roads roundabout headin towards the cork road, if u turn right onto the road that brings u into ballybeg . well there was 2 full bags of rubbish in the middle of the road. it was like as if someone was driving along and didnt even bother to throw the bags into the ditch. there was rubbish everywhere for about 2 days then it got cleared

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

paul666 wrote: »
    I notice this most mornings when i go to work too, thursday mornings are the worst day of the week.

Is there no bins around that area Parnell Street/Cork Road and John Street?

There is one outside Muldoons. There used to be more around there. I have noticed over the last ~10 years that an awful lot of bins have been removed from time to time. Not just there, but all over the city centre and quays.

i think there is a lack of them around the club/pub/takeaway area because persons were setting the bins on fire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

what i notice usually on bin morning going along the manor and parnell street is if the wheelie bins are put out in the night there being thrown and kicked about the place by drunk students and rubbish does be all over the place

Fairly bad tonigh outside the usual spots. Personally think that businesses should clean up the outside of their shop every night.

Sully wrote: »
    Fairly bad tonigh outside the usual spots. Personally think that businesses should clean up the outside of their shop every night.
    I agree with you 100% sully, these fast food joints are making small fortunes from business there. why should the city council (tax payer) foot all the bill.

paul666 wrote: »
    I agree with you 100% sully, these fast food joints are making small fortunes from business there. why should the city council (tax payer) foot all the bill.

I thought it was law anyway? I recall when working in the Vic in Tramore we had to clean up outside every night, and also when the Tra Fest was on we cleaned Queen St.

Perhaps it was done because they felt responsible and had the decency to do so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭soldering iron

what i see with people who rubbish the streets is 50 euro each time,so every peice of paper the the City council pick up is actually a firty euro note.
    Pay a lad/lass to watch out for litter bugs, when they committ the offence take the picture of them throwing the litter on the street show the picture to
    the individual and ask for the fifty euro please.
    Reward person with a little comission form the fifty euro, very shortly throwing of rubbish will cease, job done.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

what i see with people who rubbish the streets is 50 euro each time,so every peice of paper the the City council pick up is actually a firty euro note.
    Pay a lad/lass to watch out for litter bugs, when they committ the offence take the picture of them throwing the litter on the street show the picture to
    the individual and ask for the fifty euro please.
    Reward person with a little comission form the fifty euro, very shortly throwing of rubbish will cease, job done.

A litter warden perhaps?
    They exist but I've never seen one of them, in theory once you have photo evidence (CCTV or Photo) then nail to the wall with the 50e fine which is payable within 4 weeks, fail to pay it and it goes to 75e and so on :)

Quickly put a stop to these people once and for all, people won't like it at first but these are the same people that don't give a **** about where they live so who cares :)

The majority having nothing to fear

Advertisement