Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport expansion

• 21-12-2007 11:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

Just looking at this site:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterford_Airport#Expansion
    On the 13th of March 2007 a €27.5 million upgrade of Waterford Airport was announced. Over the next two years the money will be spent on extending the runway, building a new passenger terminal capable of handling one million passengers a year and introducing scheduled flights to European cities such as Amsterdam, Barcelona, Paris, Prague and Rome. There will also be charter flights to Mediterranean holiday resorts. The expansion will mean that air travellers in the southeast of Ireland will soon have a "credible alternative" to Dublin and Cork airports, according to officials at Waterford Airport. The chief executive of Waterford Airport Graham Doyle said "the extended runway, which we hope to have in place by summer 2009, will allow the airport to handle large jet aircraft, including the Airbus A320 and the Boeing 737".

Has any of this work got under way yet?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Not that im aware of, the only work going on out there now seems to be for the Coast Guard. There taking med flights already, and a different type of jet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Sully wrote: »
    Not that im aware of, the only work going on out there now seems to be for the Coast Guard. There taking med flights already, and a different type of jet.
    the ptc has a small jet for training maybe thats the one you see sully

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

No they have some sort of newer plane that served the extra destinations they did in the summer. Spain and other spots like that, iirc. A picture was posted here a while back about it.

But any development out there now seems to be for the coast guard - thats what the signs are saying anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

As far as I'm aware, the airport is getting a shop, restaurant and a creche. This is coming within the next year. I'm not sure of anything to do with the flights or coastguard.

Minto wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware, the airport is getting a shop, restaurant and a creche. This is coming within the next year. I'm not sure of anything to do with the flights or coastguard.

I do believe the wikipedia article condradicts what your saying, unless.. the above is included within the new terminal.

There is definately something going on out there regarding the coast guard, if you drive in you will see the big government sign about funding for it.

Neither of the above services (restaraunt/creche) are required unless they are taking more passengers / flights.. at least, I cant see why..

• Advertisement

I'll admit I didn't read the wikipedia article. But I remember you yourself once told me how unreliable wikipedia can be.

I'll admit I didn't read the wikipedia article. But I remember you yourself once told me how unreliable wikipedia can be.

Dont think iv ever said that, iv always found wikipedia to be very reliable. What was it in relation to?

Though, I think that article is rather outdated in parts and fails to have any references. So im not to sure

Dont think iv ever said that, iv always found wikipedia to be very reliable. What was it in relation to?

Though, I think that article is rather outdated in parts and fails to have any references. So im not to sure

I could have sworn it was you. Maybe I'm wrong, if I am I apologise. I can't remember what it was about exactly. Probably something about computers or something.

I could have sworn it was you. Maybe I'm wrong, if I am I apologise. I can't remember what it was about exactly. Probably something about computers or something.

Dont think it was me, iv always found wikipedia to be fairly reliable.. nothing to apologise about, its not that big of a deal. Unless I was saying that some lecturers disagree that wikipeida is relaible? No idea, cant think of it anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 sm123_irl

So far the Airport with the funding recieved during the year have, Expanded the Apron and Purchased a 2nd Fire Fighting Veichle, the major work e.g longer runway will not be completed until 2009

• Advertisement

sm123_irl wrote: »
    So far the Airport with the funding recieved during the year have, Expanded the Apron and Purchased a 2nd Fire Fighting Veichle, the major work e.g longer runway will not be completed until 2009

But the runway work hasn't even started yet? Not sure about any extension of the Apron, never spotted much change? I'm probably completely wrong, but im aware of the new fire fighting vehicle and the work for the coast guard helicopter. Just not the others!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭helibelly

The work being done isn't for the coast guard, it's the extension of the aircraft parking area, which happens to be next door to the coast guard heli base.

:)

helibelly wrote: »
    The work being done isn't for the coast guard, it's the extension of the aircraft parking area, which happens to be next door to the coast guard heli base.

:)

The last time I was there I drove up the main enterance to see the big government signs going on about funding the the Air Core / Coast Guard or similar. I could have read it wrong as im only out there during nights, but I could have sworn thats what I read!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Maharet

I flew in and out of Waterford a week and a half ago to London and the only work i saw being done was a new cafe being built in the terminal building, no sign of any work starting on the runways. :)

And of course the road out to it is still in a heap. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭helibelly

Hi Sully, trust me, the old sign referred to the building of the base some years ago, it's now been replaced (the sign that is) by a sign which is advertising the improvements of the airport infrastructure (well the sign did when I drove to work at lunch time.):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

The last time I was there I drove up the main enterance to see the big government signs going on about funding the the Air Core / Coast Guard or similar. I could have read it wrong as im only out there during nights, but I could have sworn thats what I read!
    Afaik sully the air corp don,t run out of waterford anymore so that sign must have be old!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Afaik sully the air corp don,t run out of waterford anymore so that sign must have be old!!
    Where does the Coast Guard helicopter base itself then?

I'm fairly sure they're still in Waterford airport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Mini

Air Corps are long gone from Waterford Airport but they do still pop in and out.

As for the Coast Guard - yep they are still there !

helibelly wrote: »
    Hi Sully, trust me, the old sign referred to the building of the base some years ago, it's now been replaced (the sign that is) by a sign which is advertising the improvements of the airport infrastructure (well the sign did when I drove to work at lunch time.):)

My bad, I thought it referred to the Coast Guard. When I checked, I was told it was making the space bigger or something. Clearly, I got it wrong. :/
    Mini wrote: »
    Air Corps are long gone from Waterford Airport but they do still pop in and out.

As for the Coast Guard - yep they are still there !

Sorry I meant Coast Guard. Thought they were part of the Air Corps, or did I make a balls of that to?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Mini

My bad, I thought it referred to the Coast Guard. When I checked, I was told it was making the space bigger or something. Clearly, I got it wrong. :/

Sorry I meant Coast Guard. Thought they were part of the Air Corps, or did I make a balls of that to?!

I am going to say that you made a balls of that too :D They are in and out alot to the airport. But I don't think that they are part of the same fraternity if you you will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

The Coast Guard are part of the Department of Transport rather than the Air Corps.

I suppose our Coast Guard is really mainly Search and Rescue whereas the actual guarding of the coast is left to the Naval Service, maybe with some involvement of the Air Corps supporting them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

There's an article on page 2 of the Irish Times today entitled "Major passenger increase at Waterford airport".

I don't have a link (online edition is subscription only) but here are the main points:

- 42% increase in passenger numbers
    - upward surge for Christmas
    - 115,000 total throughput in 2007
    - €28m capital programme to begin in the new year
    - Runway extension to handle B737s and A320s
    - Development of terminal to handle up to a million passengers a year

Advertisement