Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sporting Fingal FC

Options
  • 22-12-2007 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭

Sporting Fingal FC will begin life in a new "A championship", a third tier of the league, starting next year. Supposedly they will play at Morton stadium to begin with before building their own stadium out on Turvey Avenue.

Presumably the idea for the team, outside of giving local players a chance at a higher level, will be to catch fans from across Fingal and possibly beyond. A great opportunity for anyone not supporting Irish football and looking for a team.

Will anybody be tempted to watch them play?

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2559

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

dsmythy wrote: »
    before building their own stadium out on Turvey Avenue
    Where on Turvey Avenue?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Where on Turvey Avenue?

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Planning/PlanningItemsOnDisplay/FingalFootballAcademy-ends191207/

Should find a pdf there. The "stadium" is to be part of a proposed football academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

They are my new team :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

They have to get an actual team first.. :)

The thread needs updating now. Hopefully more people will get interested now that they're in the First Division. Good to hear of fans coming out of the woodwork. Hope to see yous at the games!

• Advertisement

Seeing that my beloved Dublin city fc went tits up and i couldnt follow any other team that ive watched dublin city play against, Sporting fingal fc is my lifeline to eircom league football seeing that i live in fingal. Europe here we come :D. Anybody know anything about the players thats signed or planned friendlies? I know steve williams has signed but dont know about the rest.

cymro wrote: »
    Seeing that my beloved Dublin city fc went tits up and i couldnt follow any other team that ive watched dublin city play against, Sporting fingal fc is my lifeline to eircom league football seeing that i live in fingal. Europe here we come :D. Anybody know anything about the players thats signed or planned friendlies? I know steve williams has signed but dont know about the rest.

Steve Williams (Bray Wanderers)
    Paul Caffrey (Bray Wanderers)
    Chris Deans (Bray Wanderers)
    Philly Byrne (Kildare County)
    Stephen Caffrey (Free)
    Christy Doran (Free)
    Conan Byrne (UCD)
    Colm James (Longford Town)

That's a few of them. Must be more out there. Don't need to be in a race against time to get a squad together. Hopefully we can avoid becoming another Dublin City. Plenty of money washing about though so this project can make a better go of it. There was a friendly planned against Dundalk on 28th February but that might go now that we've been promoted to First Division status. Outside of friendlies the first game of the season will be away to Longford on Saturday night on the 8th of March.

Question is how can we get the people of Fingal into this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

when is the first home game in the league?

They are playing in Santry right?

I might check them out.

dubmick wrote: »
    when is the first home game in the league?

They are playing in Santry right?

I might check them out.

Yep Morton Stadium. There's two home games in a row on the 14th and the 21st of March against Athlone and Limerick 37. Friday games.

Question is how can we get the people of Fingal into this?[/QUOTE]

A bit of advertisment localy would help, library's etc. Many foreign nationals use them daily so they might be tempted to some of the games. I havent seen any promotion for SFFC and if i wasnt for the fact that i am interested in the league then i wouldnt have know much about them. Success usually puts bums on seats though. Maybe you should get a match day discount with every 3 bin tags bought :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

If gerry gannon is giving them as much money as I've heard he is they'll be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Niadh Ui Ulaid

Do they have a website or anything yet?

No they havn't. They need to get their act together. When you look for sportingfingal.ie and similar addresses it redirects to the County Council so i'd imagine it will eventually be one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Nope, but they need one come the 7th March or the FAI can fine them.

I give them 3 seasons, and then we say goodbye to them, like Dublin City.:cool:

3 seasons to qualify for europe :D

3 seasons to qualify for europe :D

:eek:Nope

Been getting my songs together already:D

"Are you Dublin City in disguise, etc..."

"Fingal City Franchise, you're just a Fingal City Franchise" :D Incase you don't get it someone around the idea of the club said Fingal is a city:rolleyes:.

When Limerick 37 come to play you start singing "Stab City Franchise", they're fans don't take it too easy, well at least not down in Limerick:cool:

I was Dublin city :D We're on the march with sporting fingal , were going to make history , with ................... and his boys scoring all the feckin goals,

Couldnt think of anything that rhymes with goals :D

How long did Dublin City last? Who were they before? Home Farm or something? Sporting Fingal aren't DubCity or any of the others, but a completely new club.

they should be free of the shackles, and lets be honest, failures, of the other clubs that went to the wall.

How long did Dublin City last? Who were they before? Home Farm or something? Sporting Fingal aren't DubCity or any of the others, but a completely new club.

they should be free of the shackles, and lets be honest, failures, of the other clubs that went to the wall.

5 years. Firstly they were Home Farm FC then Home Farm Everton and finally Home Farm Fingal, before going to Dublin City FC.

Well try telling that to Limerick 37, started a clean sheet away from Limerick FC at the start of last season and manged to rack enough financial boll**k to have them on the verge of existence, and if it wasn't for a businessman that would have been reality.

"Fingal City Franchise, you're just a Fingal City Franchise"

Money is football.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Andy(mike)Lowry

Im a barman from a small pub in rivervalley, Swords.
    Myself and a collegue aswell as a few Punters :D from rivervalley rangers.
    wew tryin to orgaise a supporters group. if we get enough people.
    Finding it difficult to organise date for mini buses because i havnt found a fixture list. the bus/coach would be leaving from rivervalley if anyone is interested.

But please let me know what the fixtures are. where,when . .ect
    Thanks.

• Advertisement

Im a barman from a small pub in rivervalley, Swords.
    Myself and a collegue aswell as a few Punters :D from rivervalley rangers.
    wew tryin to orgaise a supporters group. if we get enough people.
    Finding it difficult to organise date for mini buses because i havnt found a fixture list. the bus/coach would be leaving from rivervalley if anyone is interested.

But please let me know what the fixtures are. where,when . .ect
    Thanks.

I don't know about any pre season friendlies but here is the fixture list for the coming season. I'd definitely be interested in something like that. I'm only up the road.

I think there is a friendly in drogheda soon and against bray around the 24th.

They should ask for a friendly against my team.. they would maybe get it (depending on dates obviously).

...Linfield FC - Pride of Ulster, Champions of Ireland:cool:

I think there is a friendly in drogheda soon and against bray around the 24th.

Yep Bray on the 24th at 2 o'clock. Didn't hear about Drogheda. There was supposed to be one against Dundalk until we got the impromptu bump up to the First Division but that might be gone now.

There's an Irish football forum with a section for Sporting Fingal at www.foot.ie Note however that you can't become a member using a freemail email address.

In the meantime I'll be mentioning the team every chance i get to people in and around Swords. There is a team launch on Monday night in Corduff. Hopefully this will include a website launch with it so we can get proper information on the team.

I got banned from foot.ie for nothing.They are up their own arses. Where is Corduff and can anyone go the launch? I take it its not corduff in blanchardstown.

Home to ucd on the 17th i think as well.

I got banned from foot.ie for nothing.They are up their own arses. Where is Corduff and can anyone go the launch? I take it its not corduff in blanchardstown.

It is that Corduff according to this site. In the sports centre there.

The launch went ahead.

The team and staff:

Goalkeepers:
    Steve Williams
    John Hussey

Defenders:
    Brian Gannon
    Derek Tyrrell
    Philip Byrne
    Aidan Colllins
    Chris Deans
    Brian Kelly

Midfielders:
    Karl Byrne
    Christy Doran
    Paul Caffrey
    Collie James
    Stephen Caffrey
    Joe O’Neill
    Jim Crawford
    Conan Byrne
    Fiachra McArdle

Forwards:
    Robbie Doyle
    Davy Sullivan
    Dinny Corcoran
    Peter Hynes

Director of Football : Liam Buckley
    Head Coach : John Devine
    Asst Coach; Frank O’Neill
    Coach Asst: Graeme Buckley
    Physio; Shay Caffrey
    Conditioning Coach; Eoin lacey
    Doctor: Nick Mahoney

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

10-1 4th favourite to win the leaue with powers. So they obviously give them a chance.

• Advertisement

Very decent squad. Pity you won't win the league as Shels have it in the bag:D:D

Running away buses to some grounds can be dodgy - Athlone, Cobh and Dundalk. I've got first-hand experience from all three and they seem to be the only one's (I visited every ground last season).

Best of luck with the supporters' club, but hope the club falls to ruins.

Sporting Feck All.:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement