Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sporting Fingal FC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

SantryRed wrote: »
    Disgraceful attendance today from you lot yesterday:rolleyes:

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

Robbie Doyle - Hopeless. Bad attitude. Let got by Bray and Dundalk. Don't count on him to score many goals.

Now, it took me a while but I've read through all 21 pages!

Gav, I'm afraid your predictions are a little off.

It actually quiet funny reading the poor attempt at rivalry coming through already. The club have a five year deal and although attendances have been poor, its only our first season. I recon an honourable 2nd place this season would do wonders for our future progression. Who knows what will happen if we get promoted!

I've been stewarding at the last three home games and the same people are coming back, which is very good to see. Hopefully it will pick up and 500-1000 will be the norm.

Next match is 745 on the 28th, Monday night at Morton Stadium, Santry. Limerick 37 provide the opposition. Should be a good game. Only three points off the leaders!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

SantryRed wrote: »
    Disgraceful attendance today from you lot yesterday:rolleyes:[/QUOTE}

Are you the attendance police now? You must be struggling to post something.

Now, it took me a while but I've read through all 21 pages!

Gav, I'm afraid your predictions are a little off.

Fair play on finding it.;)

I know they still count, but how many of them were penos?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Fair play on finding it.;)

I know they still count, but how many of them were penos?

About half. But but but... that's because he's so great they have to keep fouling him...

Ok he's not the perfect player but he does the job in the First Division and sets up a few goals too.

We're not quite 1/5 of the way through our initial funding period. The attendence pop ought to come with the building of a ground in Swords unless they're waiting for 5 years before they get it done incase things aren't great. They need to get it built as soon as possible by the beginning of the third season. Of course that's easy for me to say since it's not my money going into funding. :D

• Advertisement

dsmythy wrote: »
    Of course that's easy for me to say since it's not my money going into funding. :D

Actually, it is your money. The Council will be paying for the Soccer Academy to be built. Lusk is the location we are going for at the minute.

The stadium will take a while longer but I think Swords is the place for it, again the Council (therefore you) will be paying for it.

A few of us, including members of the club went to see some stadia in Norway last year. IK Starts ground in Kristiansand (sp) was a great example. €20 million, 15,000 all seater, pull out stage for concerts. In ireland you could at least double that sum but still, it would be a great addition for Irish sport.

Hopefully we'll be up there with the big boys of Irish soccer when we built it.

Don't forget about the match tonight! 745 at Morton.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Actually, it is your money. The Council will be paying for the Soccer Academy to be built. Lusk is the location we are going for at the minute.

The stadium will take a while longer but I think Swords is the place for it, again the Council (therefore you) will be paying for it.

A few of us, including members of the club went to see some stadia in Norway last year. IK Starts ground in Kristiansand (sp) was a great example. €20 million, 15,000 all seater, pull out stage for concerts. In ireland you could at least double that sum but still, it would be a great addition for Irish sport.

Hopefully we'll be up there with the big boys of Irish soccer when we built it.

Don't forget about the match tonight! 745 at Morton.:cool:

Those are really nice plans, and I'm being serious in saying that, but Fingal definitely need to build a fanbase before getting that sort of stadium. I know it could be used for lots of other things too, but it would be embarassing for the club having in and around 500 in a 15000+ stadium. Would probably affect the clubs home form too. Unfortunately in this country its not really a case of if you build it they will come.

DSB wrote: »
    Those are really nice plans, and I'm being serious in saying that, but Fingal definitely need to build a fanbase before getting that sort of stadium. I know it could be used for lots of other things too, but it would be embarassing for the club having in and around 500 in a 15000+ stadium. Would probably affect the clubs home form too. Unfortunately in this country its not really a case of if you build it they will come.

I don't disagree, but as you alluded to in your response, it will be used for other purposes. Its an ambition, not yet set in stone.

I would think that with Swords growing to 100,000 plus within the next 10-15 years, a 15,000 seater could potentially see use on a weekly basis with concerts and the like being the main stay (financially) of the concept.

As for the club, they would be a tenant, unless Mr. Gannon wants to splash some more of his cash!

I don't disagree, but as you alluded to in your response, it will be used for other purposes. Its an ambition, not yet set in stone.

I would think that with Swords growing to 100,000 plus within the next 10-15 years, a 15,000 seater could potentially see use on a weekly basis with concerts and the like being the main stay (financially) of the concept.

As for the club, they would be a tenant, unless Mr. Gannon wants to splash some more of his cash!

But I'm not opposed to the idea of a stadium in Swords, I just think Sporting Fingal would be mad to get involved in such a venture until they're hitting 1000 at least every week. It'll just turn the club into the laughing stock even moreso, and the running costs would be high, while if the club was only paying rent, I'm sure they wouldn't be getting the revenue from all these concerts going on. Unless they were to buy the lease out. Either way, something more along the lines of Tolka would be appropriate. Even at that, with the current fanbase the place is gonna be looking quite empty.

In other news, apparently Rogers is coming back to Shels.

But I'm not opposed to the idea of a stadium in Swords, I just think Sporting Fingal would be mad to get involved in such a venture until they're hitting 1000 at least every week. It'll just turn the club into the laughing stock even moreso, and the running costs would be high, while if the club was only paying rent, I'm sure they wouldn't be getting the revenue from all these concerts going on. Unless they were to buy the lease out. Either way, something more along the lines of Tolka would be appropriate. Even at that, with the current fanbase the place is gonna be looking quite empty.

In other news, apparently Rogers is coming back to Shels.

Its a venue, not a venture.

How are Sporting Fingal a laughing stock?

Who knows what the rental arrangement would be, FCC might even lease it to them on the cheap as they own 26% of the club. In their eyes, it will be for community gain therefore they might be given to all sporting clubs of all sizes to use. I doubt that playing in front of 1,000 fans in a state of the art facility would be of any concern to the club.

Anyway, we are not talking about next season or the one after that. This is a long term plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Welcome Alan. Nice to hear from another supporter.

Good result last night. Better performance than sat.
    So all in all good weekend for SF. Lets hope one or both of waterford or shels slip up tonight.

Welcome Alan. Nice to hear from another supporter.

Good result last night. Better performance than sat.
    So all in all good weekend for SF. Lets hope one or both of waterford or shels slip up tonight.

We all have to do our bit!

Was a much better performance all right. Actually, Limerick 37 were impressive at times, very coherent. You could tell during the 2nd half that our lot were tired from Saturday. Hopefully they'll be rested for this weekend.

Tables looks very nice at the moment (as at 630pm!). A couple of last minute winners for Athlone & Monaghan would be nice....

I agree, our lads did look a bit jaded. Robbie ran his socks off for the first half but faded quite a bit after the break. Hynes wasnt at his best either.
    Big month coming up though. We face all the other contenders next month.
    Hopefully make for some exciting football.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Happy days :D.

:):):);););):D:D:D:p:p:p:cool::cool::cool:

Just what the doctor ordered. Tks Mons, Cheers Athlone.

We'll need a couple of signings if we're going to do it.

Ah.... I love it when a plan comes together.

dsmythy wrote: »
    We'll need a couple of signings if we're going to do it.

Agreed.
    The position we now hold may entice the right sort of player to our club.

Agreed.
    The position we now hold may entice the right sort of player to our club.

We were interested in Dessie Baker but it appears he has gone to Dundalk. If we don't sign them someone else will.

Confirmed on Dundalk site. Dessie has gone to them.

• Advertisement

Barry Ferguson (Shamrock Rovers), Noel Haverty, Brendan Clarke and John Frost (all St. Pats) appear to have all signed on loan with us.

EDIT: Haverty isn't coming after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Paul Byrne has signed permanently. Striker, used to play for UCD. Should walk straight into your team, PD standard.

Looks like we have made some good signings. (on paper anyway). Has a lot of the league talking about us. Not all comments very kind.

So i guess we are doing something right:D

Looks like we have made some good signings. (on paper anyway). Has a lot of the league talking about us. Not all comments very kind.

So i guess we are doing something right:D

Thats not actually how it works. Its the same sort of stuff people were saying about Shels before it all fell apart. Were we doing something right?

Thats not actually how it works. Its the same sort of stuff people were saying about Shels before it all fell apart. Were we doing something right?

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

While I have no desire to disrespect the dead, Mr. Byrne had a lot to do with the way Shels went.

Are these signings any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 BenHannigan

Ah.... I love it when a plan comes together.

So do I, out of little acorns and all that...... Can't wait to get The Metro to Swords stadium when we're in the group stages of the Champions League.

While I have no desire to disrespect the dead, Mr. Byrne had a lot to do with the way Shels went.

Are these signings any good?

He was the rise and fall of the club basically, run as a one man show really. We live by our mistakes and are amending them, unlike a certain team from Dublin 4 who got their debts cleared and are getting a stadium.:rolleyes:

Barry Fergie off Rovers is quality, Brendan Clarke is a decent keeper (meant to sign for us last season on-loan but fell threw) and John Frost not to sure about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 BenHannigan

He was the rise and fall of the club basically, run as a one man show really. We live by our mistakes and are amending them......

Ah Gav - Ollie was an absolute legend - bucketloads of passion - but a disaster in the business of running a club. Wedded to the bankrupt modalities that are too sadly rife in the EL. Our canny Council men who instigated Sporting have made sure to hook the bluest of blue chip backers who are personally committed for the long-term. Also we have a ready made supply of talent from the existing local clubs. It'll be great when local lads are playing in the CL in a local stadium!

• Advertisement

Ah Gav - Ollie was an absolute legend - bucketloads of passion - but a disaster in the business of running a club.

I know, he was hero. Nearly a year dead now.:eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement