Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sporting Fingal FC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Sporting fingal are to up their budget for next year. Looks like we will be going for some high quality players in the coming weeks. Lets hope so.

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/sportingfingal/news.asp?n=35127

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

I heard that fabio has joined us from drogheda.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

cymro wrote: »

Hynes is gone. Doyle may follow him to that same club who shall go nameless.

Sorry to hear about Hynes. Wont be sorry if Robbie goes to them. A player with a very bad attitude.
    I guess this is why the two of them where not playing towards the end of the season. We didnt want them to get injured before their moves.

Im sure we will bring in players of a higher standard.

Where did you here that? Is it confirmed or just a rumour

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Lads just to let you all know the Season Tickets are now available at a discount rate for the 2009 season
    135 Adult (150 regular price)
    60 Child (80 regular price)
    250 Family (300 regular price)
    Also Christmas Hampers available
    60 with adult size jersey and 50 with child jersey (1-2 to 13-14)
    Hampers also include beanie hat, scarf, mug, keyring, air-freshner, pencil case and a parker pen from Keelings.
    Adult Hamper with season ticket is 175 euro
    Child Hamper with Season Ticket just 100 euro
    Club number 8950150 Conan Byrne 086 6031389 or Colm Griffin 087 666 1204

Where did you here that? Is it confirmed or just a rumour

A drogheda friend told me, not confirmed but looks likely.

Hynesy to Shels, looks like he has no ambition to play in the premier division :D

A drogheda friend told me, not confirmed but looks likely.

Lets hope this is true.

Gary O Neil is set to sign for us from Pats. According to this anyway.

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/eircomleague/news.asp?n=35249

Fingal for the cup :D
    We should have a cracking team next season going from the rumours :D

• Advertisement

Sporting looking to sign Galway keeper Gary Rogers, Drogheda's Shaun Maher, Boh's Thomas Heary AND A PARTRIDGE IN A PEAR TREE

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...l-1570499.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭omgiluvxmas

**** you lot would want to be getting promoted next season...with distinctions. unbelievable the money that you are throwing about!!! Would have been very very interesting if you had been promoted this season. A gap could have been there for a title push.

Would have to agree. I think promotion is a must. Dont think we will walk it though. No matter who we get. As regards to making a push for the eircom premier league if we got promoted, Well ill just worry about this league before i start worrying about that one. Dont want to be getting ahead of ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Genuinely don't think the Sporting Fingal side is gonna be THAT much stronger than the rest of the league. I mean they were signing players of an equal calibre from the middle of last season and it didn't really make them all that stronger. Don't think Buckley is all that great a manager. They'll definitely be up there though and I genuinely can't see it being between anyone but Sporting Fingal and Shels for 1st place.

DSB wrote: »
    Genuinely don't think the Sporting Fingal side is gonna be THAT much stronger than the rest of the league. I mean they were signing players of an equal calibre from the middle of last season and it didn't really make them all that stronger. Don't think Buckley is all that great a manager. They'll definitely be up there though and I genuinely can't see it being between anyone but Sporting Fingal and Shels for 1st place.

I have to agree with most of it.
    I do think we will sign better players than last season though and that will be the difference between sort off challenging and actually maintaining a strong challenge. Ill reserve my judgment on Buckley untill i see who we have brought in and how we are doing in the league next year.

Agreed, cause by similar logic to what most people are coming out with, Pats would have ran away with the Premier Division last season. It will be a tight battle I'd say, and given the fact that I expect it to take Fingal longer to settle, I think Shels will nick it. As long as we don't sign ****e like Freeman and Keddy again.

It will be a tight battle I'd say, and given the fact that I expect it to take Fingal longer to settle, I think Shels will nick it.

And so it begins.
    Thems fighting words. I like it but expect to be weeping in tolka again:p

Can we start the league tomorrow please. Not sure i want to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

And so it begins.
    Thems fighting words. I like it but expect to be weeping in tolka again:p

Can we start the league tomorrow please. Not sure i want to wait.

March isn't that far away surely?

Keep an eye out for planning application for sporting academy for lusk on the council website. I would imagine it will need support...

Big question, how do Sporting intend to function once Gannon's initial input is gone? Is the plan to be continuously financed by Gannon's money or is there plans in place to get the regular 2000 average gate needed to cover their current wage bill, never mind any increases that would be needed to compete properly in the Premier. That is a genuine question by the way.

Big question, how do Sporting intend to function once Gannon's initial input is gone? Is the plan to be continuously financed by Gannon's money or is there plans in place to get the regular 2000 average gate needed to cover their current wage bill, never mind any increases that would be needed to compete properly in the Premier. That is a genuine question by the way.

I dont know is the simple answer.
    We are sorted financially for the next 4 years. (so we have been told anyway)
    Who knows if gannon will be still there after that or the other investors.
    I presume the hope is to have built the club up significantly by then to help cover all the cost to be successful.
    If we dont, i would hope we would then cut our cloth according to our means.
    The same question could be asked of any club. Including yours.
    The longer you stay out of the top flight the less likely your crowds will get back to what they where. Which means unless you get a sugar daddy you wont be very competitive in the top flight.

• Advertisement

The same question isn't relevant to most clubs, because while most clubs aren't quite operating within their means, I'd say only Drogheda and Bohs, made a higher percentage operating loss than Sporting Fingal. Obviously things are safe and rosy while Gannon is pumping money in, but it is unrealistic to expect him to do that forever, and when he stops, things will get messy.

Fingal are currently following a very dangerous business model, speculating to accumulate, which saw Shels completely fall apart, Rovers do the same, remains to be seen what will happen to Cork, Drogheda and Bohs, but you can't imagine the future looking bright for them.

And even worse for Fingal, stems the problem of what the club would do in a crisis like that. Shels had the SSDG, Drogheda raised 100 grand for the club in a week, Rover's fans took over the club. I dunno the full details about Cork but I know their fans dug deep for the club, and Bohs fans will probably have to do the same. But I can't imagine Sporting Fingal having fans with enough ties with the club to raise the same kind of money if the club are in doubt, that is what happened Dublin City, that is what happened Kilkenny, and if the model being used by Fingal continues, I can't see how theres any other option than that happening Fingal.

Would have been so much easier to cut their cloth on a reasonable budget, unless the club is expecting to rely on sugardaddies forever.

The same question isn't relevant to most clubs, because while most clubs aren't quite operating within their means, I'd say only Drogheda and Bohs, made a higher percentage operating loss than Sporting Fingal. Obviously things are safe and rosy while Gannon is pumping money in, but it is unrealistic to expect him to do that forever, and when he stops, things will get messy.

Fingal are currently following a very dangerous business model, speculating to accumulate, which saw Shels completely fall apart, Rovers do the same, remains to be seen what will happen to Cork, Drogheda and Bohs, but you can't imagine the future looking bright for them.

And even worse for Fingal, stems the problem of what the club would do in a crisis like that. Shels had the SSDG, Drogheda raised 100 grand for the club in a week, Rover's fans took over the club. I dunno the full details about Cork but I know their fans dug deep for the club, and Bohs fans will probably have to do the same. But I can't imagine Sporting Fingal having fans with enough ties with the club to raise the same kind of money if the club are in doubt, that is what happened Dublin City, that is what happened Kilkenny, and if the model being used by Fingal continues, I can't see how theres any other option than that happening Fingal.

Would have been so much easier to cut their cloth on a reasonable budget, unless the club is expecting to rely on sugardaddies forever.

Are you really serious:eek:

There is no f##cking way im getting into to this crap with you all over again.
    I know its the off season and there isnt much else to talk about but no way am I going back over all the old sh#t again. No way, not a chance, never, not again. Good day to you sir :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 BenHannigan

March isn't that far away surely?
    Keep an eye out for planning application for sporting academy for lusk on the council website. I would imagine it will need support...

Ah Al don't tell me after the Turvey debacle there'll be more more problems with Lusk next. Fingal is unique among LOI setups in that our CoCo visionaries have adopted a bottom-up approach & placed the club at the heart of the community from the get go. Don't tell me a community in Lusk are going to start cavilling at this exciting development.

DSB it's time to realise that our backers -although they're developers, their bank and land owners- have no selfish or strategic interest in supporting SF. They're engaging in Corporate Social Responsibility and sharing the vision of the officials who started this bottom-up revolution. They, and by extension we, are here to stay. Live with it.

DSB it's time to realise that our backers -although they're developers, their bank and land owners- have no selfish or strategic interest in supporting SF. They're engaging in Corporate Social Responsibility and sharing the vision of the officials who started this bottom-up revolution. They, and by extension we, are here to stay. Live with it.

The club has been in existence all of a season. How is it time to realise anything? Of course I know that there are funds there to do the next few years, although I've no idea how much. But this Corporate Social Responsibility idea, as noble as it may be, and I'm inclined to believe it, there is no way that is the plan for Sporting Fingal to survive for the long-term future. And I'm just asking have the board shown any indication as to what the long-term plans for the club are, because it seems a very strange business model to me, as any mass influx of fans to the gates would probably involve qualifying for the Champions League group stages or something. That is just the way Irish people are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 BenHannigan

The club has been in existence all of a season. How is it time to realise anything? Of course I know that there are funds there to do the next few years, although I've no idea how much. But this Corporate Social Responsibility idea, as noble as it may be, and I'm inclined to believe it, there is no way that is the plan for Sporting Fingal to survive for the long-term future. And I'm just asking have the board shown any indication as to what the long-term plans for the club are, because it seems a very strange business model to me, as any mass influx of fans to the gates would probably involve qualifying for the Champions League group stages or something. That is just the way Irish people are.

Our officials have closely studied the Norwegian model and the end product will see an LOI team at the apex of a feeder system of 60 odd local clubs who will provide a steady supply of talent to us. There'll also be the academy to nurture and develop this stream. The academy will be in the east of the county and will complement the one in the west.
    Lookit sport is part of the Council's drive to brand and identify Fingal as a county and the community-based development of SF is the central plank of this. I can't see local businesses and individuals not wanting to be part of this and even if the current backers (note plural) were to drift away I imagine there'll be others who'll be only too keen to be associated with the club - well-run & visionary as it is.
    Even at that the budget of the council is getting on for 300 million and half that comes from rates. Funding from that source is always a possibility in the future as it'll be an insignificant amount (relatively speaking) and we already have the highest amount of paid sportspeople of any local authority as it is.
    I agree with what you say about the 'event-based' nature of much of Irish fandom but the funding is needed until we are successful whereafter the fans will arrive - especiallly as the club is at the heart of the community and vice versa. Oh and re the CL - if Norwegian and Cypriot clubs can do it why not Fingal?

Our officials have closely studied the Norwegian model and the end product will see an LOI team at the apex of a feeder system of 60 odd local clubs who will provide a steady supply of talent to us. There'll also be the academy to nurture and develop this stream. The academy will be in the east of the county and will complement the one in the west.
    Lookit sport is part of the Council's drive to brand and identify Fingal as a county and the community-based development of SF is the central plank of this. I can't see local businesses and individuals not wanting to be part of this and even if the current backers (note plural) were to drift away I imagine there'll be others who'll be only too keen to be associated with the club - well-run & visionary as it is.
    Even at that the budget of the council is getting on for 300 million and half that comes from rates. Funding from that source is always a possibility in the future as it'll be an insignificant amount (relatively speaking) and we already have the highest amount of paid sportspeople of any local authority as it is.
    I agree with what you say about the 'event-based' nature of much of Irish fandom but the funding is needed until we are successful whereafter the fans will arrive - especiallly as the club is at the heart of the community and vice versa. Oh and re the CL - if Norwegian and Cypriot clubs can do it why not Fingal?

Jesus. head in the clouds is all I can say.

Jesus. head in the clouds is all I can say.

Hey man. Dont do that.
    You asked a question and got an answer. You referred to your question being a genuine one and you got a genuine answer.
    If you where just looking for an answer and not an argument then why the above statement. You didnt refute any of his points and just finished with "jesus. head in the clouds is all I can say":rolleyes:
    That to me proves you where just looking for the argument.
    Its a tired one from you again. Does us all a favour and give it a rest please before i die of boredom.

A question for you.

Do shels even have a plan for the future. One that goes beyond "sure we will see what happens". Would love to here what shels are doing to become a bigger part of the community. What ideas do they have to improve the club. How do they plan to be a successful club in the future? Answers on the back of a stamp please.

Hey man. Dont do that.
    You asked a question and got an answer. You referred to your question being a genuine one and you got a genuine answer.
    If you where just looking for an answer and not an argument then why the above statement. You didnt refute any of his points and just finished with "jesus. head in the clouds is all I can say":rolleyes:
    That to me proves you where just looking for the argument.
    Its a tired one from you again. Does us all a favour and give it a rest please before i die of boredom.

A question for you.

Do shels even have a plan for the future. One that goes beyond "sure we will see what happens". Would love to here what shels are doing to become a bigger part of the community. What ideas do they have to improve the club. How do they plan to be a successful club in the future? Answers on the back of a stamp please.

Of course I'll answer. I thought head in the clouds summed it up nice enough though. My reply meant that I find it almost impossible to believe that local business are going to solely dripfeed Sporting Fingal for years and years. I keep hearing about Fingal becoming a bigger part of the community, and I'm not debating that there have been efforts made, but by and large they've been largely unsuccessful. Furthermore, I'd go as far to say that if Shelbourne weren't in the First Division, a large contingent of your teenage support would have no interest. Of course theres a chance people will flood in the gates, but I'd have thought the first season would have been a major boom with Irish people being the event junkies that we are.

As for Shels, well unfortunately Shels have to plan for the short-term, because we pretty much have to get out of Tolka. None of us really know where that will be for sure, and depending on where it is it'll determine how the club reaches out to the community. I'd be hoping that once we've got our new ground and are on a slightly more secure footing, then everything will be done to reach out to our new community, wherever that may be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Of course I'll answer. I thought head in the clouds summed it up nice enough though. My reply meant that I find it almost impossible to believe that local business are going to solely dripfeed Sporting Fingal for years and years. I keep hearing about Fingal becoming a bigger part of the community, and I'm not debating that there have been efforts made, but by and large they've been largely unsuccessful. Furthermore, I'd go as far to say that if Shelbourne weren't in the First Division, a large contingent of your teenage support would have no interest. Of course theres a chance people will flood in the gates, but I'd have thought the first season would have been a major boom with Irish people being the event junkies that we are.

As for Shels, well unfortunately Shels have to plan for the short-term, because we pretty much have to get out of Tolka. None of us really know where that will be for sure, and depending on where it is it'll determine how the club reaches out to the community. I'd be hoping that once we've got our new ground and are on a slightly more secure footing, then everything will be done to reach out to our new community, wherever that may be.

Shels are a club with a proud history and for the sake of football in this country long may it last. History incidentally has to start somewhere and though Sporting Fingal is only a year old the club has alot of hard working ambitious people trying to make something positive happen. Please don't knock this!

• Advertisement

Tomthepost wrote: »
    Shels are a club with a proud history and for the sake of football in this country long may it last. History incidentally has to start somewhere and though Sporting Fingal is only a year old the club has alot of hard working ambitious people trying to make something positive happen. Please don't knock this!

I'm entitled to question the feasibility of the business model. Wexford Youths have done things the right way, building from the bottom up. Fingal are doing too much, too fast, without the fanbase to do it, and I really think it will bite them in the ass, even sooner still if they fail to gain promotion this season. Having said that however, I can't imagine them not being in at least a playoff place this season.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement