Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sporting Fingal FC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Steve Williams - Good keeper, can be dodgy. (nearly cost us the league in 2006)

Aidan Collins - Decent defender, solid.

Joe O’Neill - Quality young player, played with our under 21's last season.

Jim Crawford - Solid midfielder, will add needed experience to your team, but very injury prone.

Conan Byrne - Another quality player, played with UCD last season.

Robbie Doyle - Hopeless. Bad attitude. Let got by Bray and Dundalk. Don't count on him to score many goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

who is going to the game against ucd on sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

cymro wrote: »
    who is going to the game against ucd on sunday?

Where's the game being played?

On another note the website is up and running. Typing in www.sportingfingal.ie should redirect you to it. Not much there but it's something!

dsmythy wrote: »
    Where's the game being played?

According to http://www.ucdsoccer.com/news.php?id=4055 it's being played at "Amateur League complex" in UCD methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

I got banned from foot.ie for nothing.They are up their own arses. Where is Corduff and can anyone go the launch? I take it its not corduff in blanchardstown.

EEEmmm, with your quote "I take its not Corduff in Blanchardstown", I can only imagine what you said to get kicked out of foot.ie

You should have said "surely its Corduff in Blanchardstown as thats part of Fingal and would make sense"

Perhaps I read the context wrongly though?

• Advertisement

There is another corduff in fingal.

The game v ucd is on the oscar traynor road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

There is another corduff in fingal.

The game v ucd is on the oscar traynor road.

You are correct, however that Corduff is near lusk and is effectivly rural and well out of the way.

On the other hand, the one in D15 is surrounded by 12 junior soccer clubs and a massive population.

It's the obvious choice;)

Better be sure eh!.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Robbie Doyle - Hopeless. Bad attitude. Let got by Bray and Dundalk. Don't count on him to score many goals.
    Peter Hynes is fatter, lazier and far worse than him. Nice strikers you've got.:p

SF 1-1 UCD

UCD had plenty possession but did little with it. SF took one of their few chances.

• Advertisement

I missed the goal :D. I came back for the second half and thought it was still 0-0. It wasnt a good game and a draw was a fair result. I dont know much about ucd but if that was their first team then i reckon they will struggle this season.

I dont know much about ucd but if that was their first team then i reckon they will struggle this season.

They lost three of their strongest players over the close-season in my opinion, Darren Quigley, Shane McFaul and Conor Sammon. Although they still have one of the best managers in the league with Pete Mahon.

You'd be very happy to know Shels are played some good football in our two friendlys over the weekend both in Donegal (Finn Harps and Letterkenny Rvs). Are defence is like a brick wall.:D

Shels look strong alright. Is it 2 up and 4 down this season? I think sporting will be in the top 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,297 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Shels look strong alright. Is it 2 up and 4 down this season? I think sporting will be in the top 5.

1 up, 3 down with no play off this season. Promotion will be extremely tough for any new side, i'd expect Shels & Waterford to challenge with maybe Dundalk (though they tend to bottle it year in, year out:D) having a go too.

Oh and for the record, i thing the whole SF thing is a joke, the last thing the EL needed was another Dublin based side and i honestly reckon the crowds will most definitely not come & stay, look at Dublin City for example). Once the initial 5 years of cash expires i'd expect them to go whallop, if it even lasts that long that is.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

It's Bray away next Sunday. Should be a tougher task. I'll go with 2-0 to Bray. We shall see.

Mini plug for my bebo site. Unlikely another one is on there so i guess it's not a problem. Kinda struggling to attract well....... anybody!

www.bebo.com/sportingfingalfc

Be a part of that until a better one comes along. Probably the next one. :D

I've heard of an event at the community centre in Rivervalley in Swords on Thursday 28th Feb. Conan Byrne will be there i think. They are recruiting for an official supporters club. When i hear more I'll let you know.

The "you" being anyone who reads this and is interested in supporting the team. ;)

I might be there. We will beat bray :D

Thanks for that. Is it all ticket? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Alan_Partridge

Im from Swords too & I reckon its gonna be a big success. There are loadsa football fans out in these parts and its about time we had a team of our own.

Sure loads of other clubs are gonna hate us, but so what. Its gonna be great and totally different to the Dublin City fiasco. Its a new club with new players and a decent stadium, with a huge population to attract and plenty of investment.

Definitely something to get excited about - hopefully it all works out and we get the crowds.

I was readin the Fingal Independent the last few weeks and they've had loadsa coverage on Sporting Fingal so far. They started a Meet the Players thing and have had match reports and interviews with the gaffer Liam Buckley. The websites a bit behind but the papers worth having a look at

http://www.fingal-independent.ie/sport/other-sports/sporting-fingal-set-for-historic-debut-1289794.html

Anyone plannin on heading off to Bray???

Im going. I will try and get to as many games as possible home and away.

• Advertisement

Bray Wanderers 2-1 Sporting Fingal

I wasn't at the game but i hear we played well. Last minute disaster cost us another good draw. We took the lead too. That's twice we took the lead and failed to win. Hopefully with First Division rivals we can end that.

There are loadsa football fans out in these parts and its about time we had a team of our own.

Em well there's the problem. Dublin has a population of over one million, we have 6 clubs. That's 125,000 people per club, lets say only one fifth of them support football, thats 25,000 people per club. And lets say on an average week in the LoI the overall attendences from all the games adds up to less than 25,000. And i'd say in an average week more people leave Ireland to support a team than go to a weeks overall attendence in the LoI.

If you've been supporting the Premiership or SPL for years without noticing the 5 other clubs in Dublin, I tell you to feck off back to your TV, otherwise I welcome you to the small world that is the League of Ireland.;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

If you've been supporting the Premiership or SPL for years without noticing the 5 other clubs in Dublin, I tell you to feck off back to your TV, otherwise I welcome you to the small world that is the League of Ireland.;)

This is part of the problem with League of Ireland fans they cant accept that some fans watch more than one league,its all or nothing with them.

Dub13 wrote: »
    This is part of the problem with League of Ireland fans they cant accept that some fans watch more than one league,its all or nothing with them.

Oh no. The fact is there has been 5 teams playing out of Dublin for years, and now a team pops up in his back yard so he'll start attending games.:rolleyes: Thta my friend is called a fairweather fan.

I know Shels fans who come in from Swords, Santry, Coolock, Malahide, Portmarnock, etc... to Tolka and to thye most part Dalymount. A relation of mine who is a Shams fan comes in from Mullingar every Friday to watch Rovers in Tolka.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

He is hardly a fairweather fan if the club have not even played a game yet.

There may well be two many clubs in Dublin but they are doing a crap job getting people involved with clubs,I grew up in Dublin North East around Killester,Clontarf,Raheny etc.Never once was I exposed to an ounce of Irish football,its no wounder kids get hooked on English football if nothing is been offered on there doorstep.

No things could have changed now but its not that long ago when I was a young lad I am still in my late 20s so I am not talking about donkeys years ago.

Dub13 wrote: »
    He is hardly a fairweather fan if the club have not even played a game yet.

There may well be two many clubs in Dublin but they are doing a crap job getting people involved with clubs,I grew up in Dublin North East around Killester,Clontarf,Raheny etc.Never once was I exposed to an ounce of Irish football,its no wounder kids get hooked on English football if nothing is been offered on there doorstep.

No things could have changed now but its not that long ago when I was a young lad I am still in my late 20s so I am not talking about donkeys years ago.

Why do you need stuff shoved in your face. Even if it was shoved in your face it wouldn't make a different.
    I live in The Liberties, about a 10 minute bus journey from Richmond Park, home of St.Pats. In my area, I know of two people who support Pats, even with Richmond Park at our doorstep.

Anyway this a Sporting Fingal discussion so lets leave it at that.

And back on topic, I hope Sporting Feck All crash and burn in 5 years after Mr.Gannon has pumped in millions to them.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

And back on topic, I hope Sporting Feck All crash and burn in 5 years after Mr.Gannon has pumped in millions to them.:p

Yes cause another club folding is exactly what the reputation of the league needs :rolleyes:

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Yes cause another club folding is exactly what the reputation of the league needs :rolleyes:

Well with Dublin City folding, Kilkenny getting "shoved" out of the league and Rovers and Shels Ireland's two most succesful and well known clubs nearly ceasing to exist. All in a matter of 3-4 years I think the leagues reputation has been dragged through the mud, dropped down the drain and ended up in the Irish sea.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Em well there's the problem. Dublin has a population of over one million, we have 6 clubs. That's 125,000 people per club, lets say only one fifth of them support football, thats 25,000 people per club. And lets say on an average week in the LoI the overall attendences from all the games adds up to less than 25,000. And i'd say in an average week more people leave Ireland to support a team than go to a weeks overall attendence in the LoI.

I remember reading last year that the average attendance to league of Ireland games was only 15000 per weekend. Must check up on that when the league starts up next week.
    Sad though. I'd say more than 15000 people head to old trafford from dublin every weekend.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Alan_Partridge

Went to Bray on Sunday.

SPFC looked great in the first half, should have scored at least three by the break. Bray didn't even have a shot.

Went 1-0 up straight after half time, conceded a good free kick and lost in the last minute after a terrible back pass. If we can finish off our chances, we'll do well this season. Conan Byrne to go up front...

As for the whole 'fairweather fan thing', true, I've had little or no interest in the Eircom league up to now, for the simple reason that there was nothing to attract me to it.

Now, coming from Swords, there's a team to follow right on my doorstep, with players from my area in the side, and competing at a decent level, at last there's a reason for me to show an interest.

I've been supporting Liverpool for the last 20 years and one of the reasons I'm happy that SPFC have been formed is they are proving a welcome distraction from the farce at Anfield!!!

More importantly, I also now have a team of my own I can go and watch every week, something I've never had before.

What do the likes of Shels mean to me? Nothing. But SPFC are from my area.

It's fantastic news for the area and I can't wait for the big kick off...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement