Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sporting Fingal FC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

DSB wrote: »
    Haha I really don't get riled up on an internet forum, but I'll still defend Shels at the tip of my trucker hat haha. The main point of my post, was that Shels are doing much better towards what was expected of us, than the underachieving Fingal, so I'm not surprised that its considerably hush in here, as regards goings on at Morton.

No No, of course you dont. The rant you just had was calm and collected:rolleyes:

:pac: Along with fingal yous where favourites. Sure you where talking about how you felt yous would finish ahead of us. You really do just change what you think at the drop of a hat.
    Genuinely don't think the Sporting Fingal side is gonna be THAT much stronger than the rest of the league. I mean they were signing players of an equal calibre from the middle of last season and it didn't really make them all that stronger. Don't think Buckley is all that great a manager. They'll definitely be up there though and I genuinely can't see it being between anyone but Sporting Fingal and Shels for 1st place.

So i guess you where expecting to finish in the top two where you not. So how is that much better than what was expected:pac: your funny.
    Dundalk definitely did play that way against us the 5 times we played them last year. Waterford have also played that way every time we've played them, as did yous last season. This season you've been able to bring in whatever players you wanted and as a result could get those players. UCD are a different proposition as the kind of players they're able to get, are young flair players. An established 30 year old scrappy centre midfielder ain't gonna be joining UCD any soon. Like us, they make the best with what they can get. It didn't benefit them in the Premier of course. But theres no doubting, Keely and Russell have done better with their resources have done much better than Buckley.

All the teams you mentioned still didnt play the way yous do.

You also feel that a lot the players you have are as good as ours so now suddenly we are to believe there not, just so you can make a point
    To be fair, Delaney, Doherty, McAllister, Cassidy, O'Brien, Flood and Madden are just as good as those players described as Premier standard. Fingal just signed big name players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Just to correct you on the points you've made there, I still do believe we've a good chance of finishing in the top 2. And to add to that, I do believe we've equally good players to Fingal in many areas, but they're not flashy players by any means. We have excellent players to play our system. Which isn't half as poor as you make it out to be. I mean in the most recent game at Tolka between our 2 teams, we attacked you for the whole 90 minutes but just couldn't finish it.

Just to correct you on the points you've made there, I still do believe we've a good chance of finishing in the top 2. And to add to that, I do believe we've equally good players to Fingal in many areas, but they're not flashy players by any means. We have excellent players to play our system. Which isn't half as poor as you make it out to be. I mean in the most recent game at Tolka between our 2 teams, we attacked you for the whole 90 minutes but just couldn't finish it.

Again I have to laugh. Correct me on what point exactly.
    You are making out yous are doing better than what is expected while in fourth place and in an earlier point you made you said you dont see shels finishing outside the top two. So which is it? How can fourth at this point be better than what was expected and earlier you expected to finish in the top two:confused:

You feel that your players are of a similar quality to ours and yet you defend your long ball tactics. You really do amuse me. and your players are suited to your style of playing are they. So anybody who cane lump a ball 50 to 60 feet qualifies but there still considered quality. And now you have to go back to last season when i was talking about this season.

Look. Your team has underachieved so far just like us. Im not denying any of this and i havent so far. You might as well be arguing with yourself on these points. To make out that your team is doing better than expected and it is only us who are underachieving is laughable and you know it. You have far more resources than waterford and ucd and yet you say you are doing better than expected:rolleyes: Please. A lot of the season still left to go and waterford and Ucd will hit sticky patches at some point, we just have to make sure and take advantage of it when it happens.

Again I have to laugh. Correct me on what point exactly.
    You are making out yous are doing better than what is expected while in fourth place and in an earlier point you made you said you dont see shels finishing outside the top two. So which is it? How can fourth at this point be better than what was expected and earlier you expected to finish in the top two:confused:

You feel that your players are of a similar quality to ours and yet you defend your long ball tactics. You really do amuse me. and your players are suited to your style of playing are they. So anybody who cane lump a ball 50 to 60 feet qualifies but there still considered quality. And now you have to go back to last season when i was talking about this season.

Look. Your team has underachieved so far just like us. Im not denying any of this and i havent so far. You might as well be arguing with yourself on these points. To make out that your team is doing better than expected and it is only us who are underachieving is laughable and you know it. You have far more resources than waterford and ucd and yet you say you are doing better than expected:rolleyes: Please. A lot of the season still left to go and waterford and Ucd will hit sticky patches at some point, we just have to make sure and take advantage of it when it happens.

Your points seem to revolve around the fact that we just lump the ball up the pitch the whole time, that isn't true at all. That was the case against Fingal this season, because we had to bypass a pretty much non-existent midfield which was depleted. We don't play a pretty game, but we most certainly do not just lump the ball up the pitch. When you've seen 1 game out of 10 this season, you really shouldn't be coming out with such things.

As for me consider us to be doing what is expected of us, I wasn't referring to league position. Obviously 4th isn't where we intend to finish, but 6 wins and a draw from 9 is not a bad start from us, especially given we're perennial bad starters. As you said yourself UCD and Waterford are quite likely to lose form as time gos by, whereas I'd imagine this is the sort of form we'll keep up. If 27 games in, we're on 18 wins and 3 draws, I don't think I'll be crying, and having said that I don't think we'll lose to you and UCD every time. 6 wins out of 9 for us, however is alot better than 6 out of 10 for a team that has splashed out on big money signings. I haven't said for a moment we're firing on all cylinders, but 6 from 9 isn't bad.

And just to add to your points, I think Waterford operate on a similar wage budget to us, actually I think theres might be slightly higher than ours, they brought in a few players who would have been on full-time contracts with Cork City previously. UCD we know can operate on a low budget, but sure you know as well as I do, not every club has the means to offer clubs educational grants while they play football. UCD are the perfect club for anyone wishing to have a football career while studying, I know yous have started something similar too, but UCD are the prototype over here.

All your points seem to revolve around a ridiculous notion that we just hoof the ball for 90 minutes, and that we actually pay something even somewhere in the same ballpark on wages as yous do. Our strongest resource is the fact that we have the best manager in the division. I've doubted him at times, and he can be hard to understand at times, but he has done wonders with Shels, and no1 else in the division has really done the same things as Keely in the past anyway.

Your points seem to revolve around the fact that we just lump the ball up the pitch the whole time, that isn't true at all. That was the case against Fingal this season, because we had to bypass a pretty much non-existent midfield which was depleted. We don't play a pretty game, but we most certainly do not just lump the ball up the pitch. When you've seen 1 game out of 10 this season, you really shouldn't be coming out with such things.

As for me consider us to be doing what is expected of us, I wasn't referring to league position. Obviously 4th isn't where we intend to finish, but 6 wins and a draw from 9 is not a bad start from us, especially given we're perennial bad starters. As you said yourself UCD and Waterford are quite likely to lose form as time gos by, whereas I'd imagine this is the sort of form we'll keep up. If 27 games in, we're on 18 wins and 3 draws, I don't think I'll be crying, and having said that I don't think we'll lose to you and UCD every time. 6 wins out of 9 for us, however is alot better than 6 out of 10 for a team that has splashed out on big money signings. I haven't said for a moment we're firing on all cylinders, but 6 from 9 isn't bad.

And just to add to your points, I think Waterford operate on a similar wage budget to us, actually I think theres might be slightly higher than ours, they brought in a few players who would have been on full-time contracts with Cork City previously. UCD we know can operate on a low budget, but sure you know as well as I do, not every club has the means to offer clubs educational grants while they play football. UCD are the perfect club for anyone wishing to have a football career while studying, I know yous have started something similar too, but UCD are the prototype over here.

All your points seem to revolve around a ridiculous notion that we just hoof the ball for 90 minutes, and that we actually pay something even somewhere in the same ballpark on wages as yous do. Our strongest resource is the fact that we have the best manager in the division. I've doubted him at times, and he can be hard to understand at times, but he has done wonders with Shels, and no1 else in the division has really done the same things as Keely in the past anyway.

In the above post you refered to i didnt mention the long ball thingy. So again i ask what corrections are you talking about? where did i say your players are on similar money to ours?:confused: I was just showing you that you believed your team to be a good team in earlier posts but as soon as things dont go right for yous, you expect people to believe that you didnt expect to be doing better than you are. And as for the long ball thing, Its not just me who believes it. Iv read numerous posts on various sites from shels fans who think yous are playing too much long ball. You yourself even said that you have to play that way to get out of the division. Oh and there is no guarantee you will get anything from the harps game either. The longford one should have thought that. So if you dont get the 3 points there, will your start then be considered bad or will you just change your mind again and come up with some other mad and wonderful story which contradicts what you have previously said but hey that doesnt matter its a new week and what i said last week doesnt count:rolleyes:

So basically DSB what on earth are you talking about:confused: You should be a politician. They never answer questions honestly either and always have a positive spin on everything when it suits them and a pity me attitude when thats suits them too.

• Advertisement

Anyway. After the latest in a long line of Lamper VS Dsb arguments (he loves me really)
    Was just wondering does anybody know if the work i spotted being done in lusk is the start of the building on the Sports facility that will eventually become Sportings home.

Another decent promotional idea from sporting taking off

http://www.sportingfingal.ie/News/tabid/1260/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/1687/Default.aspx

Yet another example of how when Shels fans aren't posting in here, the thread dies:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Another very good win tonight.

Kirby was just brilliant for the first goal. I think he was trying to walk the ball in to the net. He had to get by at least 4 defenders and the keeper. Lovely ball across the line then.

Conan got a very good 2nd goal too.

Some very tough goal line defending too, and I don't know how Athlone didn't score, especially the one that hit the bar and was then cleared off the line.

Terrible conditions, but a great result.

Paulw wrote: »
    Another very good win tonight.

Kirby was just brilliant for the first goal. I think he was trying to walk the ball in to the net. He had to get by at least 4 defenders and the keeper. Lovely ball across the line then.

Conan got a very good 2nd goal too.

Some very tough goal line defending too, and I don't know how Athlone didn't score, especially the one that hit the bar and was then cleared off the line.

Terrible conditions, but a great result.

Thank god for the 3 points. Good result, bad performance. How on earth did the ball not end up in the back of the net for athlone when they had that chance that hit the bar. Great defending with a bit of luck I think.
    Missing a fair few who would be considered first team. Maher, Byrne, Paiseley, Williams, Zayed and O'neil. Thank god we have a descent squad.

Have to see now what team is put out for Monday night. That could be a tough one.

Maybe they were just resting a few, saving them for Monday.

• Advertisement

Have to see now what team is put out for Monday night. That could be a tough one.

Maybe they were just resting a few, saving them for Monday.

I would hate to think they would rest players for a league game. Williams was suspended. Not sure about zayed. The rest have injuries.

It's also good to see players who aren't picked for the games still attending, and either watching from the stands or the press box. It shows a good team spirit.

Nice also to see Conan celebrate with Williams after he scored that 2nd goal.

It's also good to see players who aren't picked for the games still attending, and either watching from the stands or the press box. It shows a good team spirit.

I think thats compulsory to be honest. Even the Shels players who it was blatantly obvious they didn't give a **** about the club last year, were there even if they weren't in the matchday squad.

From the manager's perspective, the players are getting paid for it, so he has no reason to feel guilty for it, and I believe if someone is injured in the warmup, another player can be added to the squad anyway, although I'm not 100% on that.

Is that where he ran to. Couldnt make out from where i was sitting. I think thats 7 or 8 goals in all comps for him now. Good crowd again 750 or so which is good for us, last year we would have only got half that.

I think thats compulsory to be honest. Even the Shels players who it was blatantly obvious they didn't give a **** about the club last year, were there even if they weren't in the matchday squad.

From the manager's perspective, the players are getting paid for it, so he has no reason to feel guilty for it, and I believe if someone is injured in the warmup, another player can be added to the squad anyway, although I'm not 100% on that.

Even if it wasnt compulsory id be pretty disappointed with any player who didnt turn up to watch his team mates play.

Looking forward to the game tonight. Will be interesting to see how we do against sligo. Decent of the club to reduce ticket prices.

Hopefully the weather will stay decent.

Not easy to get a crowd for a Monday night, but hopefully there will be a good game to watch.

Looking forward to it now.

Pity we went out tonight. Missed a pen as well:(

It was a fairly even match I thought. Not a great crowd which was to be expected.

That was a terrible penalty, straight at the keeper. A mistake to let him take it too.

Absolutely horrible conditions all night. Not a night to be out in it.

Fingal certainly had plenty of chances.

Not a bad game, overall, aside from the defeat.

That was a terrible penalty, straight at the keeper. A mistake to let him take it too.

Absolutely horrible conditions all night. Not a night to be out in it.

Fingal certainly had plenty of chances.

Not a bad game, overall, aside from the defeat.

Yeah. A fairly decent game. It was nice to watch two teams going at it. Instead of watching us trying to break down a lesser team and getting frustrated.

• Advertisement

Considering the conditions, it was a very entertaining match. Some very good patches of play, but then some silly passes giving away the ball.

I'm surprised there weren't more goals.

Still can't get over that penalty. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Lorcan 17

The problem Fingal are having at present is the scarcity of goals esp at home - 7 goals from 7 home matches this season hardly going to get us promoted .

Haha well neglecting to play your other home fixtures might make the chances even harder;):D

Should be a good game tonight. Unfortunately, I doubt I'll be attending. Let's just hope that the weather holds. A damp pitch mightn't be a bad thing, but wet won't help anyone.

Still have plenty of injuries. Still out are O Neil, Maher, Dinny, Paisley, Doyle. Byrne is still a big doubt and Bayly suspended.

Zayed is back after missing the last two games.

So i guess the team will be similar to the sligo one except zayed will come in up front with Fifi dropping back to the bench.

Should be a good game tonight. Unfortunately, I doubt I'll be attending. Let's just hope that the weather holds. A damp pitch mightn't be a bad thing, but wet won't help anyone.

Oh it was. If your a waterford fan :D

If there was any game to miss believe me it was this one. We need our defenders back and fit as soon as possible. Gannon does his best at centre half but the chap is a full back and having a guy who is about 5 foot 8 at centre back is never going to work.

I got a massive shock when I saw that result, we played poorly, but when you're grinding out results against top half teams away from home I think I can take a 2-1 win with a not so good performance.

I got a massive shock when I saw that result, we played poorly, but when you're grinding out results against top half teams away from home I think I can take a 2-1 win with a not so good performance.

It was one of those games where i was just sitting there not believing what i was watching. I was too angry to even shout at the team. Just sat there shaking my head.

Lack of effort?

• Advertisement

Lack of effort?

Hate to admit it but yeah. It looked like our guys where playing a training match. While they havnt always been great this season there was something terribly wrong about the other night. I guess playing against waterford and seeing there commitment showed our team up even more. Some of our signings this season have been great, Williams and Kirby especially but 2 or 3 of them need to shape up or leave.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement